Diesel HPR

Matthewsz

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 09 wagon
I just filled up in SD for the first time, after reading that long thread and preparing myself for a leaky injection pump.
Why can't I see all the threads about this in the Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) section? Only 3 threads show up for me, other than the stickies.
Edit: never mind, just found the Display Options, still new to the settings.. :)

Last edited:

Matthewsz

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 09 wagon
Just to give an update, I have an AVG engine, after 120 miles I checked on the pump at startup, and it was dripping 2-3 drops/sec. After a 12 mile trip I looked at it again before stopping the engine and I didn't see it dripping anymore. I guess I should start looking for those viton seals...

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Just use the Bosch kit...

The only extra "viton" seal anyone adds to that kit is the pump head o ring, and realistically the one in the Bosch kit is of a much better material than the original anyway. It will outlast the original seal at least.

Once you have fresh seals in it, doesn't matter if they're viton or not, so long as you're not using regular biodiesel at all and switching to HPR or ULSD, you'll be fine.

It's the real old seals that at one point had higher sulfur diesel and/or biodiesel in them at one point that will go south real fast on HPR.

Not really HPR's fault, just the way it goes. There was a huge rash of pump leaks when ULSD was mandated in the U.S. too...

Matthewsz

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 09 wagon
I didn't end up doing anything. After filling up with regular diesel, it slowly stopped leaking and it's fine ever since. I'm glad I don't have to deal with it for now. Thanks for the info, Matt-98