Low Speed Clunk w/High Speed Vibration

Rhino1829

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi 4dr m/t
I'm at wits end trying to diagnose this issue I'm having. At low speeds (<35mph), I get a clunk in the driverside front area. It's only at low speeds like when going over a speed bump. I'm also having vibrations at anything over 30-40 mph. This is felt in the steering wheel and also through the seats, floor, etc. Though the vibration is intermittent, but has gotten to be a bit worse when it does occur, and it is almost always there while the car is warming up.
I've visually inspected the bushings in the front end and there's zero sign of abnormal wear. While on jackstands, I've tried to work both front wheels for any play (6&12, and 9&3). Zero play in either wheel. My tires were getting to be older and after trying to get rebalanced a few times over the last 6months or so, nothing changed. Thought it might be the subframe shifting and installed Tyrol's subframe kit. Did a 4wheel alignment...nothing changed. Last week I got a new set of tires and had the shop check to see if a wheel was slightly bent. All wheels are straight. While the new tires took some of the vibration away, it's still there...especially in the morning after sitting all night. The vibration isn't there with hard acceleration that I can feel. On occasion, I do get a slight vibration at one point when going from the wheel turned fully to the right when I am straightening it out (backing out of the driveway) but I can't replicate it on demand. This is only felt in the steering wheel. The only thing I haven't dove into is the shocks/struts and springs. Though on visual inspection I see nothing broken and no leaky shocks.
I've checked for anything loose in the front end and nothing, so I'm checking here to see if anyone has run into this or has suggestions because I'm out of ideas. The next step is to take it to a shop to diagnose...which I'm trying to avoid if at all possible. This is a 2012 Golf with 86k on it.

Rhino1829

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi 4dr m/t
Thanks for the quick response and the link! I'll have to take a look at the gap when I get home tonight. I did go to check (at work right now) but it's under the rain tray below the windshield and i don't have time to do it right now.

Rhino1829

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi 4dr m/t
So the gap is not able to be seen. Once I was able to pull up the rain tray, the whole assembly is covered by the fender with a hole to get a strut wrench in for tightening/removal. Short of pulling the strut and spring out, there's no way to tell if the gap is within spec or not...unless someone has a better way.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds

Rhino1829

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi 4dr m/t
No problem. I thought that looked like a mk4 in the pic. I just ended up ordering stuff to replace the shocks and struts. The originals have had a not so easy 86k so I figured I'll just freshen things up while I'm in there.

I had seen the diy on myturbodiesel and they've posted a fairly nice video on YouTube as well that I'm going to follow. Thanks again for your help.