www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 3rd, 2004, 20:05   #1
Wingnut
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5L/100km
Default Front strut mount replacement \'How to\'

I assisted another member do some suspension work today and thought I would document it so others can use it for reference. Among other things, we replaced his strut mounts & added a spacer to lift the front of his car to give more clearance for his new steel skidplate.

Now normaly I would remove the struts completely & remove & replace the parts with the assistance of my bench vice. But in an attempt to save some steps and time, we tried it with the struts still installed in the vehicle. It is possible, but still requires the use of a spring compressor to compress the spring enough to remove & replace the parts.

NOTE: This task can be dangerous and should only be completed by someone who can work safely, The springs can be placed under high tension and if the spring compressor breaks, serious injury can result!

Tools required:

7mm alen wrench
13/16" spark plug socket
7/8" wrench
Spring compressor (available as a loan-a-tool at many auto parts stores with a deposit)

Parts required:

2 Strut mounts: 1J0 412 331 C
2 Strut bearings: 1J0 412 249
2 Spacers (if necessary): 1J0 412 311 A

First thing is to do is to remove the nut on top of the struts. There are two on each side. The first nut holds a cap and the one underneath it holds the mount, bearing & spring perch. Here is how to remove it. Place the 13/16 spark plug socket on the nut and run the 7mm allen wrench through the hole in the center of the socket. Using a pipe to hold the allen key stil, use the 7/8 wrench to loosen the socket:

Repeat this for both nuts on each side (4 nuts in total). Once the four nuts are removed, you can lift the front of the vehicle to release the spring tension on the mounts. Jack up both sides & secure with jackstads for safety. Then remove the wheels for acces to the wheel well.

There will still be some tension on the springs at this point. Use the spring compressor to compress the spring to relieve the rest of the tension on the upper perch & mount:

Once the spring is compressed a bit, the parts will easily come out. Beware of your hands inside the wheel well. The spring is under tension and if the compressor breaks, you can injure yourself. BE CAREFUL! Here are the parts removed:

Here are the replacement parts. Notice the adition of the spacer. This goes in between the bearing and the upper perch:

Now just put the parts back in the same order shown in the picture. This can be quite frustrating getting all the parts to line up & stay in place, but we did it. An extra set of hands would come in handy here. Once the parts are in place, use a jack to raise the lower control arm to raise the shaft of the strut up through the parts so you can secure everything with the nut. Here is a diagram of the components in case you need a reference on how to put everything back:

Note: #28 is the mount, #24 is the bearing, #40 is the spacer & #29 is the spring perch.

Oh, and since it was mentioned in a post below, the top retaining nut is supposed to be replaced as per the Bentley Manual (#27 in the illustration). If you have to get the parts at the dealer, then you might as well get these to, but I have never changed one. It does not support the weight of the vehicle in any way. In fact, all it realy does is hold the top hat piece so that when you raise the car, the strut doesn not fall through the hole in the inner fender. But I have to mention it to be diligent. For the price of them, why not change them?

Here are before & after pictures of both the mounts as seen from the gap at the top of he strut towers & the wheel well gap:

Here is a picture of the old & new mounts. Notice not only the height difference, but the shape as well. The new one is tappered & the old one is mushroomed:

The total lift was about 20mm. 10mm of that was from the spacer and 10mm was from the new mount. The old mounts had 150k km on them. The new mounts will settle a few mm, but should take a long time before they go as low as the old ones.

Again, I can't stress this enough. PLEASE be careful when workig in the wheel well while the springs are compressed.

If anyone has any other tips or if I left something out, please feel free to let me know so I can update the post.

I do plan to do a complete suspension swap at a later date. When I do one, I will document it as well so that it can be used as a suspension install how to. So stay tuned for that one.

Last edited by Wingnut; May 12th, 2008 at 07:29.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2004, 22:30   #2
SoCalJames
Veteran Member

Default Front strut mount replacement

You are a Godsend! I was just going to search for this today! Thanks for your thorough post! PS- Say Hi to "Torono" (Toronto) for me. I miss it!
SoCalJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2004, 00:41   #3
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (510k miles)

Your friend's TDI is an automatic, isn't it? [Ask me how I know.]
TornadoRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2004, 15:55   #4
DeafBug
Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace

TDI(s): 2001 NB
Fuel Economy: numbers are good

[ QUOTE ]
Your friend's TDI is an automatic, isn't it? [Ask me how I know.]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it is an automatic. I don't see the three glow plugs for the coolant by the vacuum pump. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
DeafBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 22:33   #5
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (510k miles)

Can anyone identify the rectangular black plastic box on the driver's side upper firewall? Inside are two things that could be relays, labeled "100" and "53."

TDI owners with automatic transmissions: do not bother to check. All you have in this location is an empty bracket.
TornadoRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 19:47   #6
TDA
Veteran Member

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone identify the rectangular black plastic box on the driver's side upper firewall? Inside are two things that could be relays, labeled "100" and "53."

TDI owners with automatic transmissions: do not bother to check. All you have in this location is an empty bracket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is an automatic. So, that's what that bracket is for. What would these 'relays' do if I had them?

Thanks for the help, Nigel!
TDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 11:26   #7
BrentB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Unknown

Very good write up. Using the spark plug socket is the same way I changed my suspension. I would sugest to everyone to try to buy or borrow a compresor that fully encloses around the spring and not just clips around it. I borrowed one from canadian tire when I did mine and it had U hooks with nuts on the end that where placed around the spring then into the sliders on the bar, so this way there was no way they could slip or pop off the spring making it much safer in my opinion.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:42   #8
djdluck
Veteran Member

[ QUOTE ]
Very good write up. Using the spark plug socket is the same way I changed my suspension. I would sugest to everyone to try to buy or borrow a compresor that fully encloses around the spring and not just clips around it. I borrowed one from canadian tire when I did mine and it had U hooks with nuts on the end that where placed around the spring then into the sliders on the bar, so this way there was no way they could slip or pop off the spring making it much safer in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

(just finished installing Eibach prosystem)

I agree. It's hard to use (correctly)the longer screw-down type compressors that are in 2 pieces. (the ones used in the write up look alot nicer than what I was working with, so they may work fine.)

There isn't enough space to really get the spring compressed evenly without some creativity and wrench-gymnastics.

I got the job done, but one of the rear springs looked so caddywhompus and scary, that all I wanted to do was hide from it. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
djdluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 14:32   #9
Wingnut
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5L/100km

You had a problem with the rear springs?

You don't need anything special for the rears. If both sides of the car are up, disconnect the shocks & the springs practically fall out. The rears are a 20 min job each side.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 14:43   #10
djdluck
Veteran Member

[ QUOTE ]
You had a problem with the rear springs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did them one side at a time, and I wasn't sure how much downward force I could put on the rear suspension without messing somthing up... so i used the compressor to help me get them out.
[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

The new springs went back in with no compressor, no problem.
djdluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 19:02   #11
2fst4u

Fuel Economy: 49/40/32

My question is how do you do this on the beetle? How does the Cowl come off? The struts are hidding from me!!!!
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 19:09   #12
VelvetFoot
Veteran Member

It's something like take off the wipers and then pull off the rubber strip and then the plastic cowl.
VelvetFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 10:08   #13
2fst4u

Fuel Economy: 49/40/32

is there a bushing plate and a bearing plate or is it one or the other
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:47   #14
Marty_B

Fuel Economy: 51

Where did you get the parts to do the mod?
Marty_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 09:31   #15
TDIDarryl
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.2

Wingnut,

Thanks for the great write-up!

One thing I'd like to add though, if you're planning to do this make sure you have a <u>7mm</u> allen key, They're quite rare and are not inculded in most metric allen key sets.

I had to get a friend to give me a lift to Princess Auto to find one.
TDIDarryl is offline   Reply With Quote