100k DSG - what to expect?

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
Just bought an '09 JSW TDI with a DSG. I would have rather gone manual, but I needed something my wife was comfortable driving too!

So what should I expect from this tranny? Any preemptive items to be performed to give me longevity? What are common symptoms of issues? Thanks!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
There was a recall early on. you will want to make sure your car has had it done.

the DSG needs service (fluids and filter) every 40k. fluid is specific since it not only lubricates and cools the gears, but also the clutches.

you probably want to do this and either be informed or check the fluid yourself.

that is really about it.

the transmission is pretty good. it does work a little differently than an automatic.

search here for DSG and there are lots of opinions shared.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll double check service records and get the service done if it hasn't been. We've just moved and am awaiting tools so I might not get to that myself this time.

Thanks for the input

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
I'll double check service records and get the service done if it hasn't been. We've just moved and am awaiting tools so I might not get to that myself this time.

Thanks for the input
It's not a simple drain and refill kind of job. Do your research before tackling it. The dealer charges around $400.

Donald

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I imagine there is some flushing involved. I kinds forgot about that! These slush boxes are a bit of a new creature for me.

I wonder if I can find a good shop local that is NOT the dealer. However, $400 isn't a deal breaker!

Thanks!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
It is not a slush box, and does not need to be flushed.

http://www.natef.org/NATEF/media/NATEFMedia/VW%20Files/DSG-SSP.pdf

is worth a read while you wait for your tools.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=169356

will give you an idea of how to do the service. (and a few examples of how not to use jack stands, but we will ignore that for the moment) There also is no reason to open the clean air part of the air intake to service the DSG.

and there are more than a few folks who just drain, measure and replace fluid.

You also may want to be familiar with failure symptoms of the DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel). (really a subset of knowing what is normal sounds and what is a new/different sound that needs looking into.

Last edited:

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Mike. I see its a different animal than your normal auto. If I decide to hire out I will know what questions to ask the technician.