10,000 Mile Service-Fuel Tank Fill Issue

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
I went to a different dealership for my first service and I was thrilled with the experience. The service guys were fine, but it was the tech that was outstanding, this guy listened and really cared about my concerns.

Squeaky drivers seat: He ordered a new seat frame even though it wasn't making any noise today, seemed to know about this one.

Passenger door rattle: Fixed it with some type of lube(95% fixed), again familiar with this issue.

Fuel Tank Fill Issues: So this tech used to work for VW of America and had an issue on a previous VW model just like what we are experiencing on our new Passat's(he convinced VW to fix that problem)). He explained that VW of America will not take these claims seriously unless there is great documentation, knowing that, he wants to document my case from the ground up.....He wants me to come by the dealership when I am nearly empty(next week), he is going to take pics inside the tank, pics of the fuel gauge, DTE reading, then we are going together to fill the tank where he is going to take pics of the pump showing gallons being pumped in, etc, etc, etc......He will present his case with these facts and expects them to respond favorably. By the way, in the previous case it was determined that there was a mechanical calibration problem that caused the gauge to read fuel incorrectly(something like that), so he totally believes me and wants to get it fixed....Hurray!! Had not heard about this issue before and could not find any bulletins about it, but that did not deter him, man, nice to find someone who cared.

He also saved me some drained oil for my oil analysis....in a used Castrol bottle(proper oil too)....even cleaned the bottle and put it in a bag for me:D

yamaguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE 6man TDI, 2014 F-350 PSD, 2003 F-350 7.3 PSD, John Deere 2032R, Cub Cadet 882
Wow he should win the tech of the year award!!!

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
One other thing the service guys told me that I found odd/hard to believe, was that VW will only reimburse them for 4 liters of oil on these "free maintenance changes" the dealership has to eat the additional portion of a quart to fill up appropriately.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Maybe THAT'S why all the early 09s were getting overfilled (dismissing incompetence, of course). The invoice always read 5 units (liters), so that's what the tech grabbed from parts, and yup, poured them all in w/o checking the stick.

My last 2 changes, the invoice now read 4 liters...and that's probably what VWoA pays for.

brent_strong

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Do you have more info on the passenger door rattle? I think I have the problem intermittently and would like to bring all the info I can to the tech.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Do you have more info on the passenger door rattle? I think I have the problem intermittently and would like to bring all the info I can to the tech.
He said it was the door trim/frame area? He said they used a lubricant that is used often on the EOS rubber joints.....the rattle is still there but much better than before, only hear it now on really bad roads and the rattle is faint. I'm taking it back next week for the fuel tank issue so I will let him know it still needs work. I still can't figure out how a lubricant helps the rattle, but it did.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Gregg, can you provide Brent with the dealership and tech names so techs can exchange details?
Sure...Gossett VW, Alpharetta, Georgia, the name of the tech is not on my paperwork, but I'm pretty sure his name is Jeff. I'll make sure I verify his name next week when I go back.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Sure...Gossett VW, Alpharetta, Georgia, the name of the tech is not on my paperwork, but I'm pretty sure his name is Jeff. I'll make sure I verify his name next week when I go back.
Good to hear they are taking care of you. I have an appointment next Wednesday to get my 10K and they are going to look at my squeaky seat too. I am in Atlanta area for a couple of days on business. Shame I couldn't go to Gossetts while I am here. Fortunately my dealer where I live takes good care of me too...

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
One other thing the service guys told me that I found odd/hard to believe, was that VW will only reimburse them for 4 liters of oil on these "free maintenance changes" the dealership has to eat the additional portion of a quart to fill up appropriately.
You are right to question what he told you since it is wrong.

All VW dealers received a communication from VW setting forth the proper procedure for submission of claims for reimbursement for service provided under the US Carefree Maintenance program. It is Document # VWC-09-10. The document details how dealers are to claim reimbursement for the proper Castrol 507 oil in liter bottles since the proper oil is not available in bulk.

Here's a link to the document!

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/VW...enance_Program_Diesel_Engine_ss_VWC-09-04.pdf

Niner

duplicate account, banned
You are right to question what he told you since it is wrong.

All VW dealers received a communication from VW setting forth the proper procedure for submission of claims for reimbursement for service provided under the US Carefree Maintenance program. It is Document # VWC-09-10. The document details how dealers are to claim reimbursement for the proper Castrol 507 oil in liter bottles since the proper oil is not available in bulk.

Here's a link to the document!

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/VW...enance_Program_Diesel_Engine_ss_VWC-09-04.pdf
Is there a newer document, in reference to the 2012 Passat? It too takes blue fluid, but at 10,000, 20,000 and 30,000 mile intervals. I also noticed that at 30k miles, it includes a free brake fluid flush and change also.

rorca

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium, Platinum Gray Retired: 2002 Jetta GLS, Galactic Blue
Hi Niner,

Did you ever get an answer to your AdBlue question? I'm about to take delivery of a 2012 Passat TDI 2.0L, and everything I read only mentions the 3.0L.

Also, is it "official" that the brake fluid is replaced at the 30k service?

Thanks!

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
According to this thread:http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=372242&highlight=maintenance+schedule+PDF

And the link to my 2013 TDI Passat, it says brake fluid change every 3 years regardless of mileage and every 2 years after that. I assume that means, wait until 3 years, change it, and then every 2 years after that, change it.

I think the generalized assumption is that you won't have 30,000 miles until the 3rd year. Most of us will have tons more miles than that.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e