help! car starts then dies...

mikeyjo

TDI
Golf 2010
Hi,

I have a 2010 Golf TDI with ~48k miles. Was out of town in Louisville, KY last month. Got up in the morning on a Sunday, started car. It ran for about 30 seconds then stalled out and would not start again. Sounded like no fuel getting to the engine. Had it towed to a VW dealer. When they got in on Monday, they said it started up fine, ran a little rough, but they couldn't find anything wrong (i.e. no computer codes).

Drove it back to Chicago, ran fine for about 3 weeks, then yesterday morning, started up, died after 30 seconds and won't start again.

Any suggestions / suspected diagnosis?

thanks in advance,
Mike

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Does it turn over like normal?
or is it having issues turning over or not turning over at all?

mikeyjo

TDI
Golf 2010
Thanks for the tip, I will read the intercooler thread. Both times it was after a rainy night (but above freezing). I had the impression the intercooler issues were related to ice formation.

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline
The intercooler thread title is a bit misleading. The real problem is condensation, and water pooling up in there.

mikeyjo

TDI
Golf 2010
Well, dealer says HPFP has failed. I'm not sure if this is consistent with previous symptoms, but they are sending a fuel sample to VWoA.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
If it wasn't for HPFPgate I don't think I'd be worried at all about dieselgate. It's just too bad the HPFP issue was never actually resolved by VW. The 120K mile warranty extension sounds OK until you pass 120K miles.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
The 120,000 miles was just to give a clear cutoff mileage to end the problem for VW.
At 120,000 miles on my "new" 2013 and the 2 Micron system goes on.
(depending on Dieselgate happenings)

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
The 120,000 miles was just to give a clear cutoff mileage to end the problem for VW.
At 120,000 miles on my "new" 2013 and the 2 Micron system goes on.
(depending on Dieselgate happenings)
The "cutoff" is exactly what has me concerned. I always hoped I'd get a goodwill fix, saved every receipt, only used a few stations for the life of the car, and so forth, but now I figure I'll get hosed. And going the way of the 2-micron kit or installing the different CP3 pump just doesn't seem like a viable option for me. I'm just not ready to do those mods to my car. I think I'm done with it, just waiting to see what happens with dieselgate.