Timing Belt Question on a New to Me JSW

lawnarjax

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL, 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, 1994 Safari Trek (Isuzu 4BD2TC)
So I just purchased my 3rd TDI, it's a 2010 JSW TDI, car is mint, like it sat in a garage for 5 years, but it actually was driven, 105k to be exact. I am assuming the timing belt has not been done and plan to do it ASAP as this is going to be a road warrior car for me 500-1000 miles a week. My question is this: without pulling the engine all apart is there a way to tell if the belt was replaced, along with all the various hardware? I know where the original owner has this car serviced its entire life so far, but I don't know if they will tell me. I don't know if this data is shared amongst dealers via vin or not. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

lawnarjax

TDI
I tend to agree with your logic, but the previous owner was super anal about the services that I could see on the carfax, all of them were done early and at a BMW dealer, so it does not seem beyond all possibility that he may have had it done early given his apparent obsession with meticulous care for the car. There is a service entry in the high 90's that may be the TB, but in the long run the price I paid is reflective of it not being done so I am prepared to pay.

dadster

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta SportWagen
I'd drive by the dealer who has been providing service and let them know you just bought the car and wanted to check on its service history (and get a quote for the 120k service).

That should answer all your questions!

Fred

lawnarjax

TDI
Thanks for the feedback eveyone, as it turns out the previous owner left personal effects in the car and I called him to see if he needed them(some sensitive info including phone number), he was very helpful and after assuring him I would dispose of the property securely he spoke at length about his ownership of the vehicle, and the fact he had not done the timing belt(makes sense). Also found out that he used this car primarily for long haul trips to VERMONT from TAMPA...like 22(1400miles) hours each way. Very nice guy and he gave me just the info I wanted to hear. On a not so good note the sunroof shade s hit the bed today, so that will be on the list with the TB next month.