Removing Broken Vestige of Rear Arm Wiper in Mk4 Jetta

lukelbd

TDI
2004 TDI Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Hey all,

My mk4 Jetta wagon has a broken rear wiper arm (previous owner broke it somehow). I got the replacement arm and nut cover from idparts, plus the new wiper, and I took off the 13mm nut, but... now I have no idea how to get off the old piece of broken arm.

What's the best way to go about this? Maybe I can just hacksaw through the whole thing, or is there a way to get leverage with lots of WD-40 without messing up the internal motor?

HogWrangler

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
Keep soaking in WD-40 and try to put a screwdriver behind it. Use the screwdriver on both sides, not just one side. Be forcefull but be gentle

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
Don't use a puller. That black end on the shaft is a plastic washer jet which the puller drive screw will destroy.

Be careful prying, the glass can't stand much pressure. With tempered glass one little chip turns the whole window into kernels.

lukelbd

TDI
Ok, I'll keep soaking in WD-40 and try the prying method first. Also, if I'm understanding correctly, the concern is that the lateral force I apply will cause the metal shaft that goes through the window to hit against the edge, which could shatter it?

If that doesn't work, it occurred to me... in this video a faucet handle puller is used, which has a driver screw with a pretty narrow point... so maybe it would be possible to balance that point on the larger protruding thread, instead of the washer tip. Another method I saw in this thread would be to first hacksaw off the plastic parts, or work them out in whatever way is easiest, then use a nut splitter. Or do you guys think that would be unsafe for any reason?

I'm guessing the method of hacksawing through the metal would be really tedious, since everyone calls it a last resort.

Last edited:

macmatic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd GLS wagon
Does anyone know if that tip is a replaceable part? My cover is missing and today I noticed there was no nozzle, just a stream out the back.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
If anyone needs just the press-fit black plastic washer fluid nozzle (the extends from the brass wwf tubing and sprays the window), let me know and I'll pull some from a salvage yard and you can have 'em for free.

lukelbd

TDI
So, does anyone think using a nut breaker would be dangerous? It occurred to me that the metal shaft below the washer nozzle must be hollow, therefore maybe applying that pressure to the ring would also stress the shaft and possibly crush it.

If it's cool, this method seems like the best to me. So far no luck with just prying it out.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lots of pictures about the fluid shaft and removing the parts and pieces in my rear wiper washer mod thread if it helps:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=410998

You can definitely bend/crimp the washer fluid shaft if you put metal on metal pressure, but I've used the same tool Lito suggested, without any issue. The rear wiper arm is just pressed on to splines, and it gets stuck. Yours actually looks pretty good. Soak it with PB Blaster, and try to jiggle it a little, to see if you can free it up. I'd be more worried about the glass than bending the wiper tube- but on a previous Golf I used the shaft of a screwdriver with a towel against the window to serve as a cushion, and "pried" the arm off. Have to be very careful doing this, though.

lukelbd

TDI
Thanks all, that did the trick! I kept soaking for about 2 days, and today decided to start going at it with a hacksaw. I weakened some of the inside ring, which along with all the WD40, allowed me to just wriggle it off by hand.

Weird problem though, that I just noticed: my washer fluid nozzle is pointing down! How can I fix this? Will the little rubber tip just rotate on its own? Have no idea how the original owner did that -- looking at the first pictures I took, I can see it had started that way.

lukelbd

TDI
Nevermind, I just rotated the washer nozzle with needlenose pliers, really gently, and it moved without protest. Also the new arm, cap, and wiper are fitted, so rear wiper problems = solved.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Glad you got it!

The rear washer fluid jet will also rotate if the brass washer fluid tube cracks, which is common. If you see the jet rotating with the tube, prepare for leaks into the rear hatch. That's the reason for my thread above.

lukelbd

TDI
Glad you got it!

The rear washer fluid jet will also rotate if the brass washer fluid tube cracks, which is common. If you see the jet rotating with the tube, prepare for leaks into the rear hatch. That's the reason for my thread above.
Thanks! Luckily the jet is still stationary, but if anything goes wrong I will definitely refer to your thread.