Shudder/Vibration at 40 MPH and 1800 RPM

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
I have a 2002 Jetta TDI It appears I have a torque converter shudder? (A/t obviously) Feels like im driving over a washboard at around 40 and 1800 RPM. If i give it a little throttle I can go by it. Does anyone else have this issue? If so do i need a new trans or is there a TCC fix? Also is 2800 RPM normal range at 75 MPH? Ive had this car 1 Day so far not soo excited :( Also it has 134k on it
PS I should of also mentioned it only does this when it is hot. Does anyone know if i have the dreaded 0M1 trans?

Last edited:

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
2800 at 75 sounds OK to me. As for the shutter, does it do it in any gear and can you duplicate it at slower speeds? When I first got my car it would sputter in any gear if I was going slow or let up on the fuel peddle.

I started driving the car harder and used a little Power service in the tank and it stopped. In the old days people would say they are going to blow out the cobwebs in their car and would drive as fast as they could. This is similar but a example of clogged up diesel. Run it hard and see if it clears out. It takes a few days of this to clear it out.

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
Im going on a trip this weekend probably 600 miles total. Im hoping if any dust is in there i will get it out then...I dunno tho feels like the dreaded torque converter lockout as it seems i can only do it at or close to 40 mph and when it shifts up it dissapears.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Has all the required maintenance been done up to now? Timing belt replacements are very important on these cars. I see you are new and at 134k miles this should have been done already.

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
maintenance done.

I have a record of TB change however a fuel filter wouldnt hurt im sure. What is a good brand of injector cleaner for diesels that will not harm? This car is like brand new and look sot be serviced extrememly well the only thing i find wrong is that it needs sway bar bushings and this vibration issue. Still no answer on whether or not i have the dreaded OM1

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Sorry to tell you but the auto trannie in the 02 (4-speed, right?) is the trannie you fear.

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
Well....if a 5speed were to be placed in what kind of ECM changes would have to be done to keep the CEL off? I live in MA and they are Cali emission based or is there a better AUTO i can put into it that woudl bolt up and just work?

Last edited:

GGC

TDI
2002 VW Jetta GLS TDI, Blue Lagoon
My TDI is also a 2k2 Jetta with AT, and it lugs all the time. There's one particular hill I drive up everyday that I hit @ 40 mph, and if I let the RPMs drop to around 1800, the engine will lug big time.

Next time the vibration occurs, hit the accelerator. What I would expect to happen is the tranny will downshift, the RPMs will go up, and the lugging will stop.

Since you've had the car only 1 day (at original post date), the fuzzy logic hasn't been set for your style of driving. Resetting the fuzzy logic is pretty easy. Press the accelerator to the floor, turn the ignition to on (don't start the car), wait 10 seconds, then turn the ignition to off. The next time you start the car normally, the tranny's shift points will have gone back to the factory defaults and will start to adapt to your driving style.

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
wow thanks for that lil reprogram procedure. Thats what ive been doing is just getting it to go into 3rd so it hops up the rpm`s sweet i thought i had a bad TCC or torque converter. Thanks everyone and does anyone have a 5 spoke alloy wheel 15 inch i can buy from them?

landgraff

TDI
01 Jetta TDI
I have a 01 jetta with a AT and i have the same problem. I did the fuzzy logic reset and the problem is still present. Always at 1800rpm, 100rpm less or more, the vibration stops. It has to be in gear under load, ex: 2nd gear @ 40 kph =1800rpm = vibration. also at 80 kph 1800rpm = vibration. No matter if I reset the logic I still have vibration. Already replaced front wheel bearings, drive axles, tie rods, front end bushings, Strut bearings.
I am woundering if it is a problem with the engine mounts or fly wheel. Car has 260k and trans has been replaced in 04 at 150k. Wife is now refusing to drive this car and never own a VW AGAIN. Please help.... Oh, BTW It was at the dealer and they told me to put new tires on the car, new tires, still have vibrations.

03VWGolfTDIOwner

TDI
03 VW 1.9 ALH Beetle Auto 192000km (April 2019 - RIP my '03 Golf)
I have a 01 jetta with a AT and i have the same problem. I did the fuzzy logic reset and the problem is still present. Always at 1800rpm, 100rpm less or more, the vibration stops. It has to be in gear under load, ex: 2nd gear @ 40 kph =1800rpm = vibration. also at 80 kph 1800rpm = vibration. No matter if I reset the logic I still have vibration. Already replaced front wheel bearings, drive axles, tie rods, front end bushings, Strut bearings.
I am woundering if it is a problem with the engine mounts or fly wheel. Car has 260k and trans has been replaced in 04 at 150k. Wife is now refusing to drive this car and never own a VW AGAIN. Please help.... Oh, BTW It was at the dealer and they told me to put new tires on the car, new tires, still have vibrations.
What did you end up finding out was wrong?