SBC Stage 3 throwout bearing

2bitthugs

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Yesterday my throwout bearing went on my 06 BRM. Its been about 4 years and 160000km on my SBC stage 3. I can't remember if a bearing came in the kit or not. Just wondering if a stock VW one would hold up?
Also does anyone have any tricks to make it not so loud at idle? Its got a 22lb SMF but its soo loud.

Thanks

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I can't help you with the throwout bearing question, but there are a few ways to your car not so loud at idle.
First one is probably the cheapest and easiest, that would be to have your tuner(assuming your car is tuned) increase your idle speed to 1000-1050 rpm.
The next one is more expensive, but does more than quiet the car down and that would be to purchase and install a Fluidampr. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=404646 They sell for $400 and are worth every penny, they not only decrease engine clatter, but they also smooth out the engine, increase power, and increase the life of your engine.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Does it really stop the gear rattle? I have a SMF and the gear rattle at idle is LOUD! Sounds like its really pissed off, :(