INA: TDI product offerings -– billet CCV 1.9/2.0/2.5 TDI FLUIDAMPR & more

INA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2.5 TDI
Hello Everyone,
We have now expanded our TDI offerings to 10 different components.

Pricing is as follows:

• ALH/PD/CR 1.9 & 2.0 TDI Fluidampr - $399 USD
  • AFN/AHU/1Z 1.9 TDI Fluidampr w/auxilliary adapter for Power steering = $569 USD
  • ALH/PD - CCV PUCK - $129 USD
  • ALH/PD - Billet Oil filter housing cap w/ Oil filter = $99 USD
  • 104mm AFN/AHU/1Z Water pump pulley = $69 USD
  • AFN/AHU/1Z Power steering delete kit = $119 USD
All prices are without shipping. Please email us (click here) to order or to obtain a shipping quote.

p.s. These oil filter housing caps are sexy.

i called them and asked if it would work with a 1.9L TDI and the guy basically said, "yeah it should" i did not get a "warm fuzzy" from the conversation, and certainly not enough to drop $400+ on a pulley
Been running one on a clients car since they first came out....
They fit CR, PD & VE (ALH) motors without any modifications.
The AAZ and older 1.9 TDI's (MK3 etc) require a 6mm spacer in order to bring the pulleys into alignment.

The Fluidampr unit (like the OEM unit) is independantly balanced. Before the Fluidampr came out with the 1.8T version , we used OEM ALH crank pulleys on modified 1.8T's with the 02J + single mass flywheel to aid in flywheel clatter (not chatter) and it helped a little. Now with the fluidampr , flywheel clatter is almost 100% removed. On 02M/02Q boxes (and other 3 shaft gearboxes) the clatter is somewhat there but not as noisy as the OEM pulley.

Food for thought but Fluidampr prefers you go through a registered dealer/developer for questions. So if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask. I have worked with Fluidampr to develop the VR6 unit and now the 2.0 TSI unit coming out in Spring.
HTH

Last edited:

mk3pd

TDI
Passat Quattro :)
Ok,I could swear that these had a different offset than the PD ?
I am the first to admit that i have been wrong before though :D
However,I don't understand how this damper which was designed for a gas engine will work better than the OEM pulley for the Diesel
Many of the dragrace gasoline guys use the fluid damper just because they need a SFI approved one

Last edited:

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
Ok,I could swear that these had a different offset than the PD ?
I am the first to admit that i have been wrong before though :D
However,I don't understand how this damper which was designed for a gas engine will work better than the OEM pulley for the Diesel
Many of the dragrace gasoline guys use the fluid damper just because they need a SFI approved one
Just noticed your sig. Honestly , it is an honour to educate you of all people. (assuming this is Geir of course and I need to order some TDI rods ).

The OEM pulley (even the 2012 CR motor we just sold one for) uses a rubber ring for dampening which crack over time. The OEM pulley is designed by VAG Engineers for that intented engine set up as a system which will be mass produced , hence, why the 225bhp 1.8T motor has a different crank pulley (Larger rubber ring) than the 150bhp 1.8T and even the 115bhp 2.0 8V (same block) which has NO dampening ring. There is a misconception that because it was designed for a gasoline motor that it can not work on a diesel motor but what alot of people don't realise is that The fluidampr unit is a VISCOUS TORSION DAMPNER so it does not matter about application or power just so long as it has the correct mounting points (which the 1.8T and 1.9 TDI share) and correct offset.

Audi R8 , Audi TTRS , Audi RS4 , etc all come standard now with Viscous torsion dampners which is the way forward for most high performance engines.

A5INKY

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
I am not happy with the vibration my car produces. I understand the contributing factors as I created the beast. Now I am interested in taming it some. I currently use a 14# SMF which I am sure is a big part of the issue (too light IMO). I also have urethane mounts at all three positions to control engine movement and resultant wheel hop, which I think I still need. To move forward I am considering replacing my too-light SMF with a 21-23# unit, I'm sure that would help. I am also considering the Fluidampr too.

Issam, would you be so kind as to weigh in on the order you would change these two parts in my situation. Similarly, what noticeable effect would a highly modified PD expect from a change to a Fluidampr from OE?

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
Which 14 lb SMF do you have? South Bend is in the 22 lb range.
Edit : If it was me I would do the pulley first since its 15-20 mins labour time vs 5 hours to change out a flywheel.

A5INKY

TDI
Which 14 lb SMF do you have? South Bend is in the 22 lb range.
Edit : If it was me I would do the pulley first since its 15-20 mins labour time vs 5 hours to change out a flywheel.
It is left over from a Sachs G60 clutch years ago before I went South Bend Stg II Endurance. I'm not a fan of that flywheel.

Still curious, what noticeable effect would a highly modified PD expect from a change to a Fluidampr from OE?

fouckhest

Veteran Member
TDI
.:GTD, .:R32, DangerRanger
Still curious, what noticeable effect would a highly modified PD expect from a change to a Fluidampr from OE?

for me the reduction in gearbox clatter would be great; we bumped up my idle to ~1k RPM, which helped tons...that combined with the solid dogbone and delrin VF mounts is a great combination, but it is still present...

p.s. - Issam....not that this is the do all end all...but good point of reference....thre are a few if you just google part number that are in the ~$380 range....however, i tend to trust summit for any issue with parts and needing to exchange things

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flu-551201?seid=srese1&gclid=CJbb4-jz8bsCFUsV7Aod4EcAcA

madcowintucson

Veteran Member
TDI
golf
I took a bunch of photos and measurements before I bought one. The fluidamper is taller than factory by a small amount. The only thing it affects is the belt offset to the belt tensioner because they are so close togeather. So the solution was simple, I used one exhaust manifold heat shield per bolt hole and it was the perfect distance to space the tensioner away from the block. Absolutely 0 problems and belt lines up perfectly.

As far as did I notice a difference? I can't say because my car was down for 9 months and there wwere to many changes made when i got it back togeather to know what did what. I am happy with it, it gives me peace of mind, and it's the last one I'll ever buy. I can say I have bfi yellow mounts, single mass 22# flywheel and luk clutch from pep boys and I have very little vibrations into cabin. Honestly I think my exhaust pulses rattle the car from the straight through exhaust more than anything. When I called fluidamper the engineer I spoke with was very helpful to explain just as ina said, I got the same answer and I paid $349 for mine through usp motorsports. It's not cheap for sure, but I feel it was worth the expense.

Just use the spacers on the belt tensioner like I did.

As a side note, I also installed the arp made crank pulley bolt and you will also need The short crank pulley bolts, you can buy them from metalnerd I believe, grade 12.9, also ace hardware sells shiney chromed versions that are rated 12.9 and no I am not gonna comment on if chrome weakens the 12.9 rating that's a whole mother discussion lol.

mk3pd

TDI
Passat Quattro :)
Just noticed your sig. Honestly , it is an honour to educate you of all people. (assuming this is Geir of course and I need to order some TDI rods ).

The OEM pulley (even the 2012 CR motor we just sold one for) uses a rubber ring for dampening which crack over time. The OEM pulley is designed by VAG Engineers for that intented engine set up as a system which will be mass produced , hence, why the 225bhp 1.8T motor has a different crank pulley (Larger rubber ring) than the 150bhp 1.8T and even the 115bhp 2.0 8V (same block) which has NO dampening ring. There is a misconception that because it was designed for a gasoline motor that it can not work on a diesel motor but what alot of people don't realise is that The fluidampr unit is a VISCOUS TORSION DAMPNER so it does not matter about application or power just so long as it has the correct mounting points (which the 1.8T and 1.9 TDI share) and correct offset.

Audi R8 , Audi TTRS , Audi RS4 , etc all come standard now with Viscous torsion dampners which is the way forward for most high performance engines.
Hi Issam
Yes,the CR and Theo's PD 16v use the pulley with the thin rubber ring
The older PD use a big fat pulley with lots of rubber.
As you described there are different pulleys (dampers) for different VAG engine's.
So that's why i am skeptical to use the fluid damper for every application even though they say it's a fancy viscous torsion damper.
Also,it's a whole different story with vibrations in the rotating assembly in a 5cylinder and V8 than a 4cyl.
And i am quite sure that the 5 and 8 cyl dampers are designed specifically for the respective engine.
And i am also quite sure that if a viscous damper could be used in all applications,then VAG would have made one for all the 4cyl engines,but they did not for a reason.

But,if the fluiddampr really works better than a stock designed pulley in some engines,sure it's a good thing

A5INKY

TDI
I'm just the peanut gallery on this one but I think comparing the multitude of simple rubber dampened OE dampers for each individual OE engine application to the technology of the fluidampr is an apples to oranges comparison.

Even if it would work fantastic on every VAG engine, the viscous damper has to be more costly to produce. I can see why OEs do what they do and do not find that a plausible argument for why a Fluidampr wouldn't work better than OE on a TDI.

TDI
04 BEW Golf
Just to chime in here, I've installed Fluiddampr pulleys on 1x CR (2011 CJAA) and 1x 2013 Golf R. Both cars with Single mass Southbend clutch kits. Both of which I got from Issam @ INA FYI.

One is on our Project CR TDI Golf that we've built here and it cuts down noise by 80%, it still clatters a bit but entirely worth the investment (the car would sound like the engine had a rod knocking if not) and this car is pushing way past stock power figures ; GTB2260 turbo, Wavetrac diff, 3" Rawtek turbo back, SouthBend stage 3 DFE clutch kit, 2.0TSI front mount/SS piping.

The Golf R's clatter was cut down by 90%, you need to have a mechanic's ear to pick up on the noise left after install.

Both cars took 20mins to install, remove pulley, bolt Fluiddampr, put car outside.

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
Ok I am still trying to get admin to change my account to "registered vendor" because I don't this to come off as a sales pitch. We just work very closely with Fluidampr and I don't want there product being misrepresented.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=212911

I didnt find this old thread first but some good reading in it
wow...its been 5 years allready :confused:
so what Fluidampr for Theo and me ?
JW
The 1.8T Unit will work.

It is left over from a Sachs G60 clutch years ago before I went South Bend Stg II Endurance. I'm not a fan of that flywheel.

So 02J Gearbox. You should see a noticeable reduction in flywheel clatter right off the bat. I can't promise it will 100% go away but it certainly is an upgrade over the OEM unit.

.however, i tend to trust summit for any issue with parts and needing to exchange things
We exchange parts too :p

I took a bunch of photos and measurements before I bought one. The fluidamper is taller than factory by a small amount.
Not trying to disagree with you but this is false.
the first groove in the fluidampr from the mounting face on the crankshaft timing belt cog is 13.41mm. The 1.9 TDI pulley we have here measures 13.44mm. A difference of 0.03mm ...if you can machine a 0.03mm thick washer then my hat goes off to you.
And i am also quite sure that if a viscous damper could be used in all applications,then VAG would have made one for all the 4cyl engines,but they did not for a reason.
You allready know the answer to that and it is due to mass production. Hence why the 125bhp 2.5 20V Rabbit motor has a different unit than the 170bhp 2.5 20V Passat motor (which has the same motor but more output) and 350bhp 2.5 20V FSI found in the TTRS.
One is on our Project CR TDI Golf that we've built here and it cuts down noise by 80%, it still clatters a bit but entirely worth the investment (the car would sound like the engine had a rod knocking if not) and this car is pushing way past stock power figures ; GTB2260 turbo, Wavetrac diff, 3" Rawtek turbo back, SouthBend stage 3 DFE clutch kit, 2.0TSI front mount/SS piping.
:thumbsup:
Even if it would work fantastic on every VAG engine, the viscous damper has to be more costly to produce. I can see why OEs do what they do and do not find that a plausible argument for why a Fluidampr wouldn't work better than OE on a TDI.
It is more costly to produce hence why it only comes standard on the high end platforms. Comparing an OE Viscous Dampner produced for 10,000 vehicles vs an OE rubber dampner produced for 1,000,000 vehicles (in base form) is the chalk vs cheese comparison.
If you are moving from a dual mass flywheel to a single mass flywheel this should be a no brainer and has been that way in the 1.8T / 2.0 FSI world for going on 4 years now.

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
If you work close to fluiddampr, can you make them produce the heavy dampr Biochoppers got from them as a prototype? I think that is what we need!

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
If you work close to fluiddampr, can you make them produce the heavy dampr Biochoppers got from them as a prototype? I think that is what we need!
Don't know the situation with biochoppers was as it has been sometime but if I recall they used a prototype 1.8T unit.
The Fluidampr unit weights 2.78 kg's =~ 6.1 lbs so compare that to your OEM crank pulley weight but again the goal here is not to compare weights but the upgrade to a viscous dampner.

If you guys want a specific TDI Fluidampr pulley then these are the guidelines:
- MOQ commitment of 50 units since no Vendor (not even us) sees a point in developing a specific dampner for the TDI engine.
- 8 weeks for development purposes
- 4 weeks testing
- 12 weeks for production

Which IMHO would be mute point considering the 1.8T unit works....

madcowintucson

Veteran Member
TDI
golf
Quote:
Not trying to disagree with you but this is false.
the first groove in the fluidampr from the mounting face on the crankshaft timing belt cog is 13.41mm. The 1.9 TDI pulley we have here measures 13.44mm. A difference of 0.03mm ...if you can machine a 0.03mm thick washer then my hat goes off to you.

Well, like I said, I bought a 1.8t unit p/n 551201 from usp motorsports. I can say without a doubt the pulley ribs are off by half a rib however many mm that turns out to be and the belt will hang off the edge of the tensioner roller by half to a full rib. Also the air conditioner pulley is offset, but because the distance is much greater between pulleys there is no wear issues. So unless fluidamper changed something maybe I got a bad unit haha. If you want I can email you my pictures I took. Also back when I did this in 2010 fluidamper could not tell me anything about mounting to a tdi, I had to just purchase one and give them the feedback as to mounting on an alh block, which I did. Although fluidamper did promise me it would work over any frequency and harmonics the tdi would produce and I have seen 0 issues so far. After 4 years and 100,000 miles I am happy. My engine is loud as hell, very loud, but sit in the car and it's smooth, as smooth as rubber mounts, dmf, and factory balancer. But you will need to space out the tensioner as the tensioner roller is the same width as the belt, maybe it's .03mm wider lol.

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
Well, like I said, I bought a 1.8t unit p/n 551201 from usp motorsports. I can say without a doubt the pulley ribs are off by half a rib however many mm that turns out to be and the belt will hang off the edge of the tensioner roller by half to a full rib. Also the air conditioner pulley is offset, but because the distance is much greater between pulleys there is no wear issues. So unless fluidamper changed something maybe I got a bad unit haha. If you want I can email you my pictures I took. Also back when I did this in 2010 fluidamper could not tell me anything about mounting to a tdi, I had to just purchase one and give them the feedback as to mounting on an alh block, which I did. Although fluidamper did promise me it would work over any frequency and harmonics the tdi would produce and I have seen 0 issues so far. After 4 years and 100,000 miles I am happy. My engine is loud as hell, very loud, but sit in the car and it's smooth, as smooth as rubber mounts, dmf, and factory balancer. But you will need to space out the tensioner as the tensioner roller is the same width as the belt, maybe it's .03mm wider lol.
the measurement I gave you above is from a 1.8T unit that was on my desk. Do you have an oem part # for your pulley?

madcowintucson

Veteran Member
TDI
golf
the measurement I gave you above is from a 1.8T unit that was on my desk. Do you have an oem part # for your pulley?

I would have to pull it out of my parts bin but it's the factory part because I Google how much a replacement would cost and verified it was the correct unit.

fouckhest

Veteran Member
TDI
.:GTD, .:R32, DangerRanger
Which IMHO would be moot point considering the 1.8T unit works....

fixed that for you....

i would definitely be interested to try one of these on my car...actually seems like it would be a simple thing to do on back-to-back dyno runs to see if/what effect it has on torque curves

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
I would have to pull it out of my parts bin but it's the factory part because I Google how much a replacement would cost and verified it was the correct unit.
What I would like to do is compare the Fluidampr 1.8T unit to:
- ALH
- PD
- CR 2.0 16V
and show the measurements from the cog hub to the valley of the first groove.
fixed that for you....

i would definitely be interested to try one of these on my car...actually seems like it would be a simple thing to do on back-to-back dyno runs to see if/what effect it has on torque curves
Grammer ****s...:p
Send over a PM with your shipping address and Ill see what I can do about getting you a test unit.

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
See post 112 in the thread I linked to. There Biochoppers have a 9lbs unit, THATS the one I think should do some real difference. Sort one of them and I try it!:)

Theo

Don't know the situation with biochoppers was as it has been sometime but if I recall they used a prototype 1.8T unit.
The Fluidampr unit weights 2.78 kg's =~ 6.1 lbs so compare that to your OEM crank pulley weight but again the goal here is not to compare weights but the upgrade to a viscous dampner.

If you guys want a specific TDI Fluidampr pulley then these are the guidelines:
- MOQ commitment of 50 units since no Vendor (not even us) sees a point in developing a specific dampner for the TDI engine.
- 8 weeks for development purposes
- 4 weeks testing
- 12 weeks for production

Which IMHO would be mute point considering the 1.8T unit works....

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
See post 112 in the thread I linked to. There Biochoppers have a 9lbs unit, THATS the one I think should do some real difference. Sort one of them and I try it!:)
Theo
The biochoppers unit was a prototype modelled off an existing unit Fluidampr makes for another platform. Notice the Billet adaper machined up? That allows fitment of another application (probably chevy small block or 4G63 unit) onto the 1.9 TDI motor.

Again , Fluidampr can make a 20lb , even a 30 lb pulley for the TDI crowd but what is the point? Weight should be negligible here considering the advantage of moving into a Fluidampr unit to benefit from a Viscous Dampner vs an OEM unit.

You can either wait for a vendor here to front the capital to make a specific TDI Fluidampr unit and charge what he feels like charging OR use one that is available and does work for the TDI right now. If you want them to say "TDI" on them , I can request that on the next batch of 1.8T units that 20 units are set aside and printed "TDI Club" , "TDI" or "mywifeishot" on them....

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
No I didnt notice any billet adapter, to me that is alright as long as it does the job. From what I read the 1,8T damper is just great... In the higher RPMs. Yes thats fine, but that is the stock damper also.
The problem is in low revs. I dont know much about the theory but I beleve more mass is what we need. Just say no if im wrong.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
The point of a crankshaft torsional damper is mainly to absorb some of the torsional vibrations in the crankshaft at higher rpms. The crank acts like a spring in the twisting sense, and has a natural frequency and some harmonics. If firing pulses match the natural frequency, the magnitude of the torsional vibrations can get so high as to damage the crank. The rpms where these torsional spikes occur are known as critical rpms. Engine builders know them, but rarely publish them. And we do not have an easy way to detect them, as the vibes are silent. On a stout 4cyl crank the critical is usually way above operating range. On a six, longer crank means lower crit rpm, so that's why most all straight sixes have them, and lots of 4's and v6 do not.

Fluid dampers are much more effective than bonded rubber mass type, so if you are building a hot engine, it's a good mod. Only caveat is that adding inertia (mass) to the front of the crank will probably lower the crit rpm, regardless of damping coefficient. But hard to discuss this if the crit rpm is not even known!!

As far as idle vibes, that's not what the fluid damper is designed to suppress, but it very well may. Depends on the various masses and damping coefficients of the unit.

You guys probably know all this stuff, but I don't feel like working and needed a break!!

Lofty86

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 VW Golf 2.0 16v PD140
Excuse my lack of knowing much about pulleys here..

Whats the difference between a Fluidampr and an Underdriver pulley please?

Just watched a Youtube clip of a 370Z with and without an underdriver pulley. It made ~6hp more on a 324hp motor.

I realise the benifits of dampening the vibrations, and know a fair amount about power gains/losses from vibrations from having Clasic Minis with there iron A-Series engines.

Last edited:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Underdriver crank pulley usually means it is a smaller diameter than stock. So belt driven accessories spin slower than stock for the same engine rpm. Slower spin means less drag (especially water pump).

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
No serp driven water pump in TDI... stupid tbelt hehe..

Anyway underdrive helps high revving motors... which we don't have.

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
No I didnt notice any billet adapter, to me that is alright as long as it does the job. From what I read the 1,8T damper is just great... In the higher RPMs. Yes thats fine, but that is the stock damper also.
The problem is in low revs. I dont know much about the theory but I beleve more mass is what we need. Just say no if im wrong.
Wrong
Not sure how many times I need to repeat this but:
Viscous Dampner vs OEM Rubber Dampening ring.Read this to understand the difference.
http://www.fluidampr.com/what/
comparing a part modified from a different application to a part made for a VERY SIMILAR application is a chalk vs cheese comparison and again I am not trying to sell you anything here . I am simply trying to change your thought process / deductive reasoning. You want a heavier crank pulley then buy the 4G63 unit , modify it like the above mentioned did and use it.
Excuse my lack of knowing much about pulleys here..

Whats the difference between a Fluidampr and an Underdriver pulley please?.
That is the issue with the industry as a whole. I have said this before on countless other boards and I will repeat it here for members of TDIClub.com. When you are a manufacturer in the industry (whether Subaru , Ford, or whatever) and you get to a point where you buy your own CNC machines (HAAS , Mori-Seiki ,etc) , unless you are extremely good at what you do and your machines are booked 24/7/365 then you are going to follow what everyone else has followed for the last 10?20? Years which is machining parts under $100 and blowing smoke up customers asses to make them believe you have reinvented the wheel.

Why do companies sell under drive pulleys? 3 reasons:
1. Alot of V8 guys from years ago believed in them. They believed dropping a 22lb crank pulley for a T6061 2 lb crank pulley somehow made 4-6hp across your powerband which is true if your crank pulley had NO dampening ring. Every single Volkswagen serpentine motor which produces remotely over 130hp has a crankshaft pulley with a dampening ring . Look @ the 1.8 8V G60 which has an INDEPENDENT dampening ring.
2. CHEAP TO MACHINE - It takes literally no effort to turn a 4" bar of T6061 into a crankshaft pulley. Maybe $30-$35 tops.
3. MARKETING AND SALES - you take that $30-$35 part and you turn into "$99" and sell it like it is the best thing since slice bread promising gains of 5-6hp across the entire powerband when you are actually hurting your motor than helping.

Here is he problem and how it applies to your modern day Volkswagen. Think of the crankshaft assembly as being balanced with the flywheel and crankshaft pulley how every modern day motor SHOULD be balanced. On one end you have a Dual Mass flywheel handling the harmonics from your 2/3 shaft Gearbox (02J vs 02M/02Q) and on the other end you have a dampening ring.

Ok so you remove the dual mass flywheel and convert to a single mass unit and on top of that you request double the power from the motor which was designed as a system for your OEM crank pulley. Where do you expect those harmonics to some how go?

To add insult to injury companies then go and sell you a billet crankshaft pulley without any form of dampening ring and now your engine harmonics have no where to go. Where does that energy now go?
- Bearings
- wrist pin bushing
etc...

Yes yes I know countless people run the OEM crank pulley and there are a few people running a billet crankshaft pulley but you would never see me ever recommend a billet crank pulley.
We tested the VR6 Fluidampr unit on a MKV R32 DSG vehicle (no flywheel conversion) and GAINED 26whp . When I checked the part # of the OEM R32 crankshaft pulley , it is the exact same part # as the 2.8 24V GLI crank pulley.

You can lighten your accessories pulleys going from steel to aluminum because you guessed it aluminum is lighter but leave the crank alone or run a viscous dampner.