Periodic Services

Karlj

TDI
Jetta
BLUF:

Is everyone getting their flushing their radiators and brakes at 40,000 miles?

Maintenance chart in the book just says check radiator and brakes.
I just called to make an appointment for my 40,000 mile service and the dealer (stealer) told me it would be $559. I said are you kidding? He assured me that was correct. I said I already paid for lifetime oil changes. "Oh that reduces the price to $510". I asked what are you doing that costs that Much? His reply: flush radiator, flush brake lines, change air, cabin, & fuel filters, rotate tires. I said you're flushing radiator/brake lines? Reply: yes we do it every 20,000 miles, voids warranty if you don't . I understand replacing filters but flushing fluids at 40K?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
My car's maintenance schedule says that the brake fluid should be changed every 3 years, regardless of miles. In the US, VW changed my brake fluid at the "free" 30k miles scheduled maintenance. There is no mention of flushing the radiator. I think that most TDI owners just replace the coolant whenever they drain it - which is often at the same time as a timing belt change when they replace the water pump.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Ask the dealer to show you in the manual where it says to do all this every 20k miles.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
Void your warranty? That's adorable for soooooo many reasons.

Your radiator almost certainly does not need a flush. It is a good idea to have your brake fluid changed every two years.

Lets pretend that not heeding this "gentleman's" warning would result in a void warranty.
If you wanted to do it right and cheaper, did a quality independent mechanic or TDIClub guru near you to do the work. And potential warranty claims cannot be denied because you failed to use the stealership.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
..I said you're flushing radiator/brake lines? Reply: yes we do it every 20,000 miles, voids warranty if you don't...
ROFLAO, surely he didn't say that with a straight face?

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Your owners manual has the maintenance schedule.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

TDI
2012 jetta
My manual (Canadian) says to change brake fluid @ 3 years, then every 2 years. I can find no reference to changing the coolant, which sounds a bit strange to me. All previous vehicles suggest every 2 years, but maybe they install long life coolant, but even those are usually rated for 5 years

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
your manual is consistent with mine as far as brake fluid. every three years, then every two years after the first every three years. ( lost in translation some place)

they do not call for coolant change. but it does say to check coolant. (level and frost protection) at 40,000 miles

if it looks hinky, change it. if it has oil in it, fix the leak, flush and replace coolant.

whatever you do, don't mix in some other coolant. they do not like the mix.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
Had my brake fluid flushed at 30k last week on 2013 Passat. Brake fluid will become contaminated with moisture and needs to be flushed. Learned the hard way about this with one of my Subarus a few years ago.