05 Passat Wagon GLS TDI Glow Plugs

ozpassatwagon05

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
I started asking questions on this glow plug topic but was posting in the glow plug 101 area at this link so im relocating this post here in order to be in the right VW model car area of the forum.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=87616&page=2

today i pulled the covers off to find that the glow plug closest to the belts was disconnected. and that the one closest to the firewall failed ringing out at a wopping 272.5 ohms:eek: . i checked the other 3 and all were .6ohms. i dont have the vag-com scanner but using a Mac Mentor with the VW software i was able to see the two codes and clear them and connect the one plug that was just laying there and see the other one with high resistance fail. again thanks to MoGolf for his advice on this issue.

i can take pictures during the replacement if anyone would like to see them done on this model engine.

edited: pics posted by mogolf

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Here's some tips:

Read oilhammer's advice

Read the rest of the postings in that glow plug thread related to PD glow plugs. They are fragile. DO NOT DROP, BANG ON ANYTHING, OR OTHERWISE MISTREAT THEM.

When you remove them you must go straight at them. Do not angle your socket on the plug. Do not angle any socket extension. These are fragile plugs and any angle can cause the end to break off.

Here are some tips to follow when replacing GP #1.

Disconnect the MAP/IAT at the right of the picture above. Release the fuel lines from that location.

Gently release the fuel line retainer from its post in the center of this picture. It clips onto the post.

Remove the fuel filter from its holder and tie it up out of the way. Now you can move the coolant lines around too so you can get a straight approach to the glow plug.

The others are not nearly as bad to get to as you can see from the pictures.
Be careful when installing the plug. Do not drop it into the hole. It is fragile. VW mentions that plugs that have been dropped just a mere 2 cm should not be installed. You'll find new ones are packaged with a small tube protecting the ceramic heating end. Leave that on until you are about to install into the engine.

Search for other threads on this. You'll find that some have snapped off when unscrewing it from the engine. One person was lucky to put some rags over the plug location and crank the engine to get compression to push out the broken off ceramic end.

Don't rush the job. Did I mention the plugs are fragile and can break?

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Question.... On my Mercedes Diesels, I have to ream the carbon build up out of the glow plug holes or else the glow plugs do not last that long. Does this also apply to these engines?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
What type of tool can be used to extract a broken piece of ceramic that might fall inside the cylinder? On a PD, how do you keep the engine from starting if you choose to blow out a broken piece as was mentioned earlier?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
JB05 said:
What type of tool can be used to extract a broken piece of ceramic that might fall inside the cylinder?
A 10mm triple-square bit. Use it to remove the cylinder head bolts. ;)

JB05 said:
On a PD, how do you keep the engine from starting if you choose to blow out a broken piece as was mentioned earlier?
Disconnect the electrical connector to the fuel injectors. It's the large round connector with several wires located at the end of the cylinder head.

RolfRimrott

My 2005 TDI Jetta never had the glow plugs removed since brand new, the engine started tapping, the shop removed the glow plugs to find the ends broken off and flying around in the cylinders causing the ticking noise and scratching up the cylinders. It appears the service life on these plugs is less than 100,000 as the engine developed the noise around 112,000 miles...

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI