DFW Texas owners

JBKM

TDI
2011 Tempest Blue Metallic, 6M Trans, Chrome Exhaust Pipes
My TDI is closing in on its 10K mile checkup. What is the preferred dealership for maint in the DFW area? I'm sure we have some DFW owners on here, I've seen a decent amount of 09+ TDI's running around.

Also what do you recommend having done? I've heard some horror stories about TDI VW mechanics and am a bit worried. :(

To be honest I'd rather just go pick up the oil/filter, etc and do the work myself. At least then i know its done right! Think they would go for it? Just request the parts needed and be on my way? I'm contemplating the 10K mile fuel filter replacement just because the fuel system is still a concern for me.

BTW, my TDI is hating this weather!! 100+ degrees and the car is barely hitting 40MPG... :(

mwayner69

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
I just went to Rusty Wallis because that's where I bought my last 2 vws, so it's the only experience I've had. I've also had service done there on my Rabbit and had them do the recall on my Jetta. I checked all of my fluids after they were done and everything was at the appropriate levels. The receipt shows that they used the proper oil, although I didn't actually see it for myself. I'm going to let them do mine again for the 20k and 30k, but then I'll be handling it myself from there.

I hear you on the weather thing. Mine is struggling to get to 40 mpgs right now as well with the 100+ degree afternoon drives.

bluelineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6MT
I took mine to McKinney VW. They did a good job. I told them it was a TDI about 5 times before I checked in (to make sure they used the right oil, etc).

BTW, our cars are twins.

Tagus

TDI
2011 Jetta Sedan TDI
Good to know McKinney VW did a good job. My wife and I just bought our first VW ever there (2011 Jetta Sedan TDI). It only has about 1100 miles on it right now, so its good to know the place we bought it is good to return it to for service.

CedarPark68

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagen
I do not live in DFW, but I am up there all the time.

I've heard good things about McKinney VW.

I am just opting to do the work myself.

On the freeway, we get up to 40, but it takes about 40 miles to reach 40 mpg. I am very happy with the mpg, but mine is no where near others are reporting.
We can do 450 miles on a tank in town. If we put the car on the road, the tank can hit 520 with both highway and in town.

We have not driven long enough to flex the muscle of a full tank and pure highway miles.

Tagus

TDI
2011 Jetta Sedan TDI
Remember, I only have about 1100 miles in so far, so its no where near being broken in yet. My wife and I make it a rule not to let the tank get much below 1/4 since we are still learning where all the diesel stations are and don't want to get into a bind. But my lifetime mpg meter is sitting at 38.6 as of this morning with most of our driving up and down I-75 (north of 635). We are in the mid-400's when we start looking for a diesel fill-up (with ~1/4 tank till empty).

I am driving semi-cautious with some intermittent higher revs per the suggested break in I have read on these forums.

Mdh

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI W/ Nav.
I use autobahn in fort worth and have nothing but positive things to say about them. They also still provide loaner cars if needed.

Benzjed

TDI
ordered 2011 Jetta
I use Park Cities Volks... I know the shop foreman there and Steve is a great guy. there is also a guy there that knows all the VAG tricks to turn stuff on and such

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Thanks Brian!

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
Just curious as I too am reaching my 10K, The OP was for a 10K which is an oil change and tire rotation. I was planning to return to Boardwalk for this as my last two visits have been top notch and the service manager is just as anal a perfectionist as I am. Some of the links you guys are posting are not for dealers. Are these independent shops performing the services at no cost also?

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Why would you do the oil changes yourself? You have already paid for it. Just use a recommended dealer if you are unhappy with where you purchased the car.

texnkeroburner

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi Cup Edition DSG
I go to metro and have gotten good service. If I didn't go there I'd go to autobahn but they are much further away from me.

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
If you want "free" (not really free since its included in the price) Carefree Maintenance you have to take it to an authorized VW dealer.
I asked just for clarification. As some extended service plans allow you to go to any mechanic and they cover it. Sometimes it's more of a reimbursement. Thought with the recommendations some had posted in this thread in response for a 10k service it might be the same for the 3 year included maintenance.

bluelineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6MT
Go to hear about McKinney, we bought ours there. 5k until the 10k service here.
UPDATE: They totally messed up my 20K service. Then I brought it back for them to fix & they messed something else up. I took it to VW Richardson & they fixed everything. I went to Richardson for the 30K checkup. I'm taking it there tomorrow to get a few minor things checked out before the warranty expires. So to sum it up, don't go to McKinney, go to Richardson.

bluelineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6MT
What'd they mess up?
Used wrong spec oil (505, not 507), didn't change fuel filter @ 20K mile service. When I brought it back, they didn't put half of the screws back on the plastic skid plate/belly pan & it was dragging the pavement. I was done with them & took it to VW Richardson. They fixed everything & charged it to VW McKinney. I just took it back to Richardson for my 30K mile service. No problems at all. They have been really good to me. Even though it's a lot further from me, it's worth it. They've been really good about a few minor warranty items too.

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
Used wrong spec oil (505, not 507), didn't change fuel filter @ 20K mile service. When I brought it back, they didn't put half of the screws back on the plastic skid plate/belly pan & it was dragging the pavement. I was done with them & took it to VW Richardson. They fixed everything & charged it to VW McKinney. I just took it back to Richardson for my 30K mile service. No problems at all. They have been really good to me. Even though it's a lot further from me, it's worth it. They've been really good about a few minor warranty items too.
+1
They are worth the drive for both sales and service.