Meet my 02 Golf tdi 5spd

onetwo

TDI
12' Touareg 02' golf
Hi everyone, I just bought a golf tdi. 5spd alh motor is what I wanted. The dash reads 176k. It came with some adjustable coilovers. I don't see any brand markings on the struts or coils( I'm assuming eBay). Also has some 17s I'm not to excited about. I was able to get the stock wheels along with the car.
On my way home I got a over boost code and went into limp mode. So I have the car up on stands now. Im going to do some preventive maintenance to it first, before I start daily driving it.
I'm replacing the timing belt, cleaning the turbo,intake, egr and replacing all the vacuum hoses,oil change. also going to run the I injectors thru some cleaner+fuel filter. I'm also going to replace the bushings at the shifter,its really sloppy right now, I'd really like to get the sigma5 from diesel geek,but just doing bushing for now,
Anything else I should do just in case?
I snapped some pics to share.

Last edited:

04trd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 golf tdi
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong since I don't have an alh. You should probably clean the intake to make sure all the carbon buildup is out. Also running the injectors threw cleaner is a bit excessive. Throw some addative in thr tank and call it good

scdiver

TDI
03 Jetta 5-speed, 02 Golf auto, 10 JSW stick
I have 4 ALH's (including a silver '02 Golf, nice car!). I would recommend cleaning the intercooler. Kind of a PITA but they collect unburned fuel and the car will run better with a clean intercooler. Take of the front bumper and it will go out and in a little easier.

onetwo

TDI
12' Touareg 02' golf
good call on the intercooler scdivier!

Heres a closer shot of the bottle, what do you guys think? replace

aftermarket wirery mess headlights! theses will get replaced.

also whats going on here? ign pwr for the raido?

onetwo

TDI
12' Touareg 02' golf
Got the intake and turbo off, the intake looked recently cleaned,

Now am i seeing a upgraded turbo here?

i twisted off the oil feed line for the turbo, rookie mistake or common?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I missed why the intake and the exhaust/turbo were removed.

The EGR valve MAY need replacing. Keep an eye out for oil coming out the weep hole (blows oil at/against the valve cover, right at the oil cap).

Since you pulled stuff apart, did you have any oil in the intercooler ducting (right around the intercooler)?

Those headlights look like HID w/projectors. If that's the case I'd just clean up the wiring.

And... get a splash shield on the car (under the engine- either stock plastic or a metal/aluminum skid plate).

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The bottle is just discolored. Unless you're going to be entering shows, and it is not leaking... Drive more, worry less. :D

Last edited:

onetwo

TDI
12' Touareg 02' golf
I missed why the intake and the exhaust/turbo were removed.

The EGR valve MAY need replacing. Keep an eye out for oil coming out the weep hole (blows oil at/against the valve cover, right at the oil cap).

Since you pulled stuff apart, did you have any oil in the intercooler ducting (right around the intercooler)?

Those headlights look like HID w/projectors. If that's the case I'd just clean up the wiring.

And... get a splash shield on the car (under the engine- either stock plastic or a metal/aluminum skid plate).
I pulled everything out, the clean it all out and start finding the source why the car went into limp mode, also I want to get to know all the parts. There was alot of oil between the turbo outlet and charge pipe, I also drained some oil from the intercooler, not alot but enough to make a mess.
The headlights are not hid, they must have shirted something, the right low beam,brake light And parking lights don't work.

Definitely looking into a aluminum skid plate,and vag com seems to be a must have for us do it yourself type.
Thanks for the link hyde, just placed my order.

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
Mercedes 300CD next to the golf?

That's a lot of work for trying to find limp mode when you can inspect everything and diagnose it without pulling anything. VCDS is nice to have and also the xtool vag401 is prefect for a glove box VCDS on the fly....

onetwo

TDI
12' Touareg 02' golf
It's a Volvo 242. I like getting my hands dirty. This is a car I want to have a really long time,so I'd like to check it all out and replace and fix as necessary.

fenne

TDI
02 Jetta GLS 5 speed
I kinda like the wheels on it. I was just thinking about that color for my white jetta.......

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

slayersick344

TDI
2000 vw golf
Looks like mine,but with a nice paintjob! :D How do you like the coilovers? The ones I had were just terrible.... it was bad enough to just go back to oem. The ride is still sort of rough because I replaced everything with polyurethane except the sway bar,but it's driveable now. Not sure if you're interested in that idea but on mine I put a cold air intake and ran the blow by line going into the intake,down to the bottom of the engine. I haven't checked it yet but I'm assuming it'll keep some of that oil out of the intercooler. If you do it,keep the puck on the valve cover on there. It's a sort of a check valve that will close if there's a vacuum,so I've read.

onetwo

TDI
12' Touareg 02' golf
I finally got a laptop to use my new Ross tech cable, I now found out my car has almost 80k miles more than what odometer says. That puts me @ the 250k+ mark.

What should I be checking or getting ready to replace(if it hasn't been done already) with this many miles?
The car seems to be running good right now. But im sure it could use some refreshing.