• Mobil DELVAC 1300 SUP 15W-40

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Shell Rotella T 15W-40

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
For all ALH engines what is the best oil ? ( regular engine oil bought from Wally or Autozone )
Mobil Delvac 15W 40 or
Shell Rotella T 15W40 ?
What is your opinion ?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Neither... these cars (2003-and-older TDIs... your 2005 Bora has a BEW engine) need a 5W-40 synthetic oil... not 15W-40... Mobil Delvac-1 or Turbo-Diesel-Truck 5W-40 and Shell Rotella 5W-40 are both fine... Most here think the Mobil, being a Group-IV synthetic is "better" but in extended-use testing, they both did very well...

Yuri

PS: why would you want to use a non-synthetic oil that needs to be changed more frequently than the synthetic version???

Last edited:

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
If these oils are wrong for ALH engines which one would be the correct one ?

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
A little surprised a 4-year Veteran on TDIclub doesn't know which oil to use in a TDI motor. No offense meant, btw. With all the available threads on oils, one would think the question about synthetic vs. dino wouldn't even come up anymore.

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
andreigbs said:
A little surprised a 4-year Veteran on TDIclub doesn't know which oil to use in a TDI motor. No offense meant, btw. With all the available threads on oils, one would think the question about synthetic vs. dino wouldn't even come up anymore.
"Yuri. your post number 2 is not correct nobody is talking about PumpDeuse engines here, the question in on ALH engines "

Let make one thing clear on this post. I never had a ALH before, I know what to user on my Pump Deuse engines , read the original post carefully it says ALH engines, not ( BEW ). The question here is what kind of good oil I can get at Walmart for a non PD engine, and not what to use. I want to know if these popular oils , the delvac and the Shell are any good , because they are cheap.

My Touareg , and Jettas are both PumpDeuse engines running the correct 506.01 engine oil. Someone is making assumptions on my question based on my Bora 2005 signature.

Last edited:

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I hope you did not take offense, that was my worry when I posted, but it needed to be said, IMHO.

All TDI owners should know that their engines REQUIRE a full synthetic diesel-rated oil. The owner's manual in almost all TDIs even suggests the viscosity to use all-year round to keep it simple for us Americans: 5w40.

If you're shopping at Wally World, and the PD motor is past its warranty period (or you just don't care about VW's warranty) then you can buy the "Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck & SUV" 5w40 flavor (it'll have the API rating of CJ-4 among others on the back label). That is a good quality oil for cheap.

Again, all of this information is EASILY found using a quick search; another thing a Veteran should be able to do, just sayin'....

HTH.

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
andreigbs said:
I hope you did not take offense, that was my worry when I posted, but it needed to be said, IMHO.
andreigbs said:
quote]

Absolutelly non taken. I just want make sure it is understood that this question in not on PumpDeuse BEW engines.
I know what oil to use on ALH and PD BEW engines, I was just trying to find out which one of these two oils available at local Wally would be best for the regular ALH engine based on TDiers opinions.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
touaregv10tdi said:
"Yuri. your post number 2 is not correct nobody is talking about PumpDeuse engines here, the question in on ALH engines "
Please re-read post # 2... it talks about the 2003-and-older TDI's... I simply added the comment regarding the BEW engine just in case your confusion extended to the point that you thought that the car in your signature had an ALH engine...

Yuri

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
ALH engines REQUIRE synthetic oil... according to my owner's manual. I've used either Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 since my car was new. Neither oil listed in the poll is correct oil for an ALH...

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
touaregv10tdi said:
If these oils are wrong for ALH engines which one would be the correct one ?
In Wal Mart, Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 or Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 can be used in pre-2004 TDI engines in the US. There are other oils available in other places that are also suitable for the pre-2004 TDI engines in the US.

k1rod

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Red
If you are just looking for opinions and not for what is technically correct, you can probably be OK using non synth 15W40 Delvac, Delo, Rotella or the more recent one that Castrol has out, in an ALH engine, provided... a)The temperatures do not go below freezing, (If your oil is too viscous from the cold, it won't get up into your turbo bearings in time) b) before you shut down your engine you let it idle for about 30 seconds to cool off any hot spots on your turbo's bearings (The hotspots can be so hot they can turn the static conventional oil to something akin to asphalt and this will destroy your turbo bearings - called coking your turbo), and c) you change it every 5000 miles. I believe conventional oil was permitted in the early ALH's but because of the above issues, the requirement was changed to synth only. I actually think that the ALH block and head has no problems with conventional oil. The considerations are mainly for the turbo. Would I use conventional oil in my ALH? In an emergency I would, but otherwise I see no reason to. Again, this is just my opinion.

Last edited:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
touaregv10tdi said:
I know what oil to use on ALH and PD BEW engines, I was just trying to find out which one of these two oils available at local Wally would be best for the regular ALH engine based on TDiers opinions

No 15W40 non-synthetic oil is correct in an ALH.

5w40 Rotella T SYNTHETIC is an excellent oil for an ALH.

bsalbrig

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
MayorDJQ said:
[/color][/size]

No 15W40 non-synthetic oil is correct in an ALH.

5w40 Rotella T SYNTHETIC is an excellent oil for an ALH.
Though I advise against it, my uncle uses 15w40 rotella in his ALH changed at 3000 miles. The car is to around 150k with no problems yet (who woulda thunk it). Linde forklifts use VW diesel similar to alh engines but with a different turbo and use 15w40 non synthetic. I have run both rotella syn and delvac tdt without problems.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
bsalbrig said:
Though I advise against it, my uncle uses 15w40 rotella in his ALH changed at 3000 miles. The car is to around 150k with no problems yet (who woulda thunk it). Linde forklifts use VW diesel similar to alh engines but with a different turbo and use 15w40 non synthetic. I have run both rotella syn and delvac tdt without problems.
Delvac & TDT are fine oils for for an ALH.

Forklifts probably run at a constant RPM, or at least much less than what an average TDI sees on the highway.

Has your uncle ever cleaned the intake on his ALH? If so, how many times in 150k.

A gallon of synthetic oil isn't that expensive.

bsalbrig

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
MayorDJQ said:
Delvac & TDT are fine oils for for an ALH.

Forklifts probably run at a constant RPM, or at least much less than what an average TDI sees on the highway.

Has your uncle ever cleaned the intake on his ALH? If so, how many times in 150k.

A gallon of synthetic oil isn't that expensive.
No, intake never cleaned, it has the automatic trans also. I know he has run some farm diesel that he had in one of his underground tanks for years also. The car is treated horribly but it keeps going.

I havent seen a Linde forklift in action but my observance from watching forklift drivers is that the engine is at max rpm while in use but the time cycle is far quicker than a car on the highway.

brons2

Veteran Member
TDI
none
bsalbrig said:
I would have thunk it, Delvac and Rotella T are very good HDEO dinos. They just won't probably make a 10K oci. I bet a UOA would show wear was pretty even on a PPM basis for a 3K Delvac or RotellaT interval vs a 10K 505.00 syn in an ALH.

Besides, what is "synthetic" anyways. A lot of the VW recommended oils are not what I would call true synthetic, they are Group III, which is severely hydrocracked from conventional basestocks. A true synthetic would be Group VI PAO or Group V Esters.

brons2

Veteran Member
TDI
none
bsalbrig said:
I would have thunk it, Delvac and Rotella T are very good HDEO dinos. They just won't probably make a 10K oci. I bet a UOA would show wear was pretty even on a PPM basis for a 3K Delvac or RotellaT interval vs a 10K 505.00 syn in an ALH.

Besides, what is "synthetic" anyways. A lot of the VW recommended oils are not what I would call true synthetic, they are Group III, which is severely hydrocracked from conventional basestocks. A true synthetic would be Group VI PAO or Group V Esters.

bsalbrig

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
brons2 said:

Year ago I read on here that the need for synthetic was because the piston rings were moved closer to the head of our pistons. There was supposedly a need for a synthetic oil for the higher temperatures it will see. I haven't seen it for myself though, I have had two of my motors apart but never took pistons out I have had them apart both top and bottom but never pulled the pistons.