Webasto..I know

FreezingInSask

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK6 TDI
I know what everyones gonna say."Get a frostheater it works great and is cheap".

OK now thats out of the way. Is there anyone who has installed one on there car? If so whats you setup?

I've searched the forums and every post I came across that someone talked about Webasto, it got quickly pushed aside. I like the idea of heat anywhere with no extra idle time on the engine(It's been -30C here more often than not the past 2 winters). I've emailed the company to get more information on pricing(I expect to speed around $1500) and availability in north america.

Here's what I'm looking at: Thermo Top Evo 4 Heating unit and a T100 HTM Remote Starter(1000M range)

If anyones done this, or looked into doing this and has maybe info I don't have yet please let me know. I'm not in a rush to get anything for a few months, but I've been thinking about it a lot, and when I have an idea in my head its hard to get out until I get all the details around it figured out.

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
I don't know if you are talking about the same type of Webasto heater, but I drove semi for 20 years and the company I drove for installed Webasto Heaters in the bunk to keep the driver warm and cozy and reduce idling the truck needlessly.

From my personal experience, that Webasto heater was the best thing since power steering. Worked very efficiently and produced plenty of heat on the coldest nights to keep me toasty.

I always wanted to scavenge one from a wrecked truck and use it in my POV.

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
I had a Webasto BlueHeat on my '03 F-250 7.3L, and it was really great for when I was in Chicago. I'm in south Florida now, and there is no need for this on my TDIs, but I always wondered how this would work for a TDI. I know this is no help for your particular question, but all I can add is that I was very happy with how it performed on my truck. It would even serve to cool the cab if so desired (nice for summer). Lastly, I remember it was pointed out to me to run it periodically outside of normal cold weather use so to keep fresh diesel running through it and keep it well lubricated.

Please keep us posted, because I am curious how it will work out for you if you go with Webasto.

Last edited:

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
I've been thinking about some type of pre-heat system myself, only I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet, due to my impending 120,000 mile timing belt change, and my newly discovered info thanks to Monstersomething, (I'm sorry, I can't remember the posters tag, I mean no disrespect), of an impending or possible DPF replacement.

Anyways, the 1Kw heater doesn't really do the trick although it does help a little, and I do mean a little, so I had the same idea of a remote start and a supplimental heating system. If all goes well, I will be looking for this type of set up in the fall. Since we are rounding into March already. Usually this means that the days are a little warmer, so I will put it of. Of course the weather forecast for my area has us hitting near the 0 F range again for the next couple of days, so I may rethink my stance once I am sitting in the driver's seat with full winter fashion gear.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It would be neat if someone just imported the factory fuel-fired heater option that VAG has on their cars available in Europe.

The Webasto works fantastic on the Sprinters.

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
I think the factory heater you get in Europe I'd usually a webasto unit. So if you just but a regular non vw webasto heater it may still talk to the car like a vw unit via can-bus, who knows?
If you search eBay.de for 'vw standheizung' you may find them too in the used variety for much less money. I looked at that option for my previous car. The sellers I asked were all willing to ship to the US.

FreezingInSask

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK6 TDI
Just a quick update, over the past couple months I'm doing my research on this and here's where I'm at.(Still waiting on my TDI to be delivered) The only way to get what I'm looking for is to order form Europe.
There's a site, ersatzteilbox.com(sorry mods if this type of site linking is not allowed) That sells the Thermo Evo 4, the GOLF7 specific install kit and the wireless remote start. Now this won't come cheap, 1700CND+300CND(for import fees).
Please don't start on theres cheaper zero start options, lets keep on point please.
I've located a number of install guides from Webasto, the one I'm interested in is the GOLF7 I'll link it here https://www.dropbox.com/s/0e0s03p8wzy4p9l/1319109A_EN_VW_Golf_VII_%202013_B%2BD_TT-Evo-1.pdf
If you'd like to see others let me know. The manual I listed doesn't say anything about the 2.0L but its the same install from what I've been able to dig up.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
David_594 has a Webasto heater on his Mk4 Jetta and it works very well.

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Wow, pretty interesting thread. I clicked thinking it was about sunroof motors.

To clarify, this is for cabin heat only? With no interest in heating up the engine coolant prior to start up?
I've also gathered that it's typically a fuel burning heater that can operate with the vehicle off?
Then Oilhammer really drove it home with the whole "lol ya, VW already equips their cars with one"

My first experience with fuel burning heaters was a few weeks ago, where I've recently gotten the privilege of a small garage for my projects - not heated. I called my dad (who hordes all types of junk) "hey you ever used a propane or kerosene heater?" and he brought some old Reddy kerosene heater to me. He's never used it, but it looks mostly intact.
I haven't yet found any kerosene for sale locally, other than $10/gal at Home Depot or Wal-Mart.
I've read that the K-1 Kerosene burns so efficiently that you can use it indoors with no risk of pollution. But I still have no experience with fuel burning heaters - cost, smell, risks, etc.

You could always just give it a proper go like this guy:

Last edited:

1.4TDI PD

TDI
2.5TDI V6, 3.3TDI V8,3.0TDI V6,1.9TDI PD100
Here in europe we use webasto a lot there are oem versions for the volkswagen wich are conected to the car can system or you can get a standalone webasto heater with a timer or a remote control there are 4,2KW and 5KW versions.

I am Montgomery

TDI
2014 Touareg Highline
I know what everyones gonna say."Get a frostheater it works great and is cheap".

OK now thats out of the way. Is there anyone who has installed one on there car? If so whats you setup?

I've searched the forums and every post I came across that someone talked about Webasto, it got quickly pushed aside. I like the idea of heat anywhere with no extra idle time on the engine(It's been -30C here more often than not the past 2 winters). I've emailed the company to get more information on pricing(I expect to speed around $1500) and availability in north america.

Here's what I'm looking at: Thermo Top Evo 4 Heating unit and a T100 HTM Remote Starter(1000M range)

If anyones done this, or looked into doing this and has maybe info I don't have yet please let me know. I'm not in a rush to get anything for a few months, but I've been thinking about it a lot, and when I have an idea in my head its hard to get out until I get all the details around it figured out.

What did you end up going with?

Doug Jr

TDI
2011 Sportwagen
This reminded me of a near disaster concerning a Type 3 or 4 with a heater that was gasoline fed and spark plug ignited. I was a young mechanic (5 decades ago), assigned the RO, owner wanted a diagnosis on the lack of heat, I racked the thing after checking the dash controls (no response from the unit) the shop foreman walked by stopped looked at the RO said with direct eye contact, "cut the spark plug lead @ the boot, disconnect the electrical feed in the dash, block the fuel line and do not F_ck with this grenade, they can not be repaired, they are exposed to road dirt, rain and trash & were hardly reliable when new".
He went to lunch, I brought mine, was reading the repair manual for the unit determined at least to get the owner his answer and me a couple hours of diagnostic time. I read the trouble shooting flow chart and began to diagnose the "grenade". Found power (disconnected taped up) to the switch inside hooked that back (red switch light lit up), rotated the outer ring to "prime" the burner with fuel, pushed the igniter button immediately hearing the familiar sound of gas igniting sucking all the oxygen available in the immediate area (WHOOMP) under the car and WALA I had flames coming up both sides of the car, the grenade had exploded & heat abounded!
Fortunately, Julian (shop foreman) had foreseen what I was going to do and moved a large wheeled fire extinguisher close to the stall I was working in & had just walked into the shop as I was about to push the igniter button, unbeknownst to me, he had the nozzle in his hand and finger on the trigger putting the fire out before paint damage occurred.
He opened the hood and using his side cutter, clipped the + lead @ the fuse panel, clipped the spark plug lead, clipped and properly capped the fuel feed line, handed me all the debris looked me dead in the eye then turned and walked away to his jobs. Took a few days for him to cool off but we are still good friends, his normal greeting is "light anything on fire lately Boot lip?" This thread surely reminded me of this OOPS!