www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Forum and Web Page Info > TDIClub and TDIClub Forum News, Issues, Problems and Suggestions

TDIClub and TDIClub Forum News, Issues, Problems and Suggestions This is the place for updates on the website and forums. This is also the spot for forum questions, comments, ideas, gripes, requests, etc. This forum is NOT for posting problems about your car. Non-topic posts will be moved or removed.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 14:56   #1
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None
Exclamation Answers to using the TDIClub Search

The TDIClub Forums have a search function that allows one to easily locate threads, without having to dig for a long time to find a relevant thread. One should use it BEFORE asking a question - if your question has already been answered, it saves everyone a lot of time to look it up.

However, the searching system that is in place on these forums is known for being difficult to use. Unlike a search engine like Google, locating relevant content is difficult. Part of this is because of the way the search engine here works - it sorts the results by how old they are, not how relevant they are. Also, it assumes that either word is acceptable, whereas a normal search engine assumes that the searcher wants documents with BOTH words.

Before starting a new thread, click the search link:

When clicking it, a menu will come up. This menu will contain a search field, and an "Advanced Search" link, like so:

Click that link, and you will get the "Advanced Search" page. This page will include the following element:

Note the circled "Boolean" button. Whenever you are searching these forums, you will want to click on that.

When searching, it helps to be as specific as possible. If you know what section to search in, tell it to search in that section. If you know who posted the post you're looking for, put their username in the "Search for Posts by User" field. If you know how long ago it was posted, you can adjust the time range.

To look for multiple words, you use the words AND, OR, or NOT between the words. AND makes it such that both words are required, OR makes it such that either word can appear, not necessarily both, and NOT makes it such that the word following it cannot appear. Do not attempt to put + or - before a word, as it will not work.

Below are some examples of searching for posts containing the words diesel and pollution, but not nitrogen.

This screenshot depicts a search that an average user may try to use. He or she tried to use the +es to signify that a word should appear, and the -es to signify that a word should not appear. Attempting to search using this method will most likely be fruitless.

This screenshot depicts a search that will likely find the relevant posts quickly and easily. First, the user used the Boolean keywords (AND and NOT) to tell the search engine what to do (and enabled the Boolean option). He or she also focused the search - such a topic would likely be found in the TDI Emissions section, so the search can be restricted to there without worry that important information is being missed.

Hopefully this guide helps with your searches on the TDIClub Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 19:01   #2
whitedog
Veteran Member

Thanks. It will help.

And don't forget this:

Old March 23rd, 2006, 19:13   #3
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

The problem with that button is that it uses none of the tricks I mentioned, and gives crappy results. Try that button to remind you to do what I said

Quote:
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 19:24   #4
whitedog
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr
The problem with that button is that it uses none of the tricks I mentioned, and gives crappy results. Try that button to remind you to do what I said
Use that button with "Oil in intercooler" as search criteria.
Old March 27th, 2006, 10:11   #5
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Also, if you want to drill the results down further, you can search by posts from only one user. As you start to type, you'll get a drop down list with usernames that start with what you've typed thus far:

Also, if you want to always do a Boolean search, you can save the setting by using the save search preferences button:

-Jason
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 10:17   #6
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

Note that if you save the Boolean preference, it'll allow you to use Boolean searches in the drop-down search box. You won't have to go into the Advanced search.

However, the advanced search is still handy for other things.

Quote:
Old March 27th, 2006, 18:45   #7
whitedog
Veteran Member

Good info guys. It can really help when using the search function.
Old April 25th, 2006, 08:25   #8
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

Bump.

Quote:
Old April 25th, 2006, 17:04   #9
P2B
Veteran Member

This drop down is very useful too:

Obviously searching Titles Only returns far fewer results, but they tend to be more relevant. Try it first.
2000 Canyon Red Jetta TDI GLS 300K
P2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 16:26   #10
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

Actually, the VWvortex search by default works in a titles only mode.

It can be quite effective, assuming that the threads that have the information you are looking for have good titles.

Quote:
Old July 9th, 2006, 13:49   #11
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.
Thumbs up

I nominate this thread for sticky status because I find it VERY helpful .

A few more tips:
  • when searching, change the 'Sort Results by' to relevance.
Also, often when I am having a car problem of the classic type (MAF, idle shudder, anything that seems likely to have ocurred umpteen times before and be well covered territory here,
  • I will search by date, ONLY stuff 2 years or OLDER, as most of these problems were hashed out and well-described by the older veterans in days of yore.
  • Even if I were an owner of a newer MarkV car, I would still look to the older posts for basic factual information on failure types, unless I knew my failure type to be platform-specific.
Also,
  • try changing the sort by to 'oldest first' (IOW: ascending sort order by date), as older threads generally have lots of traffic, lots of good stuff, and also gems of links that may have been forgotten by us newbie 'veterans' such as myself.
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 14:20   #12
dave333
Veteran Member

I used boolean, entered "door AND squeak" and at the very top of my search results, it says:

Search: Key Word(s): door OR squeak

Am I doing something wrong?
dave333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 15:11   #13
whitedog
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave333
I used boolean, entered "door AND squeak" and at the very top of my search results, it says:

Search: Key Word(s): door OR squeak

Am I doing something wrong?
I don't think so. I came up with the sme results with -coolant and valve -.
Old July 9th, 2006, 15:29   #14
dave333
Veteran Member

We're doing pretty good if we've busted the boolean, eh?
dave333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 16:01   #15
peanutschaffuer

Default No search type

Nowhere on my advanced search page does it show or say anything about "search type". in other words I cant choose Boolean. Anyone run into that?
peanutschaffuer is offline   Reply With Quote