www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old December 13th, 2018, 13:17   #1
03tdiwagon
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1mpg
Default ALTERNATOR PULLEY came flying off ?!?!? Belt somehow stayed on but was destroyed

Hey guys. This morning on my way into work i was going about 90km/hr and i heard a clunk/pop sound briefly then it was gone.
Almost instantly my battery light came on which had me wondering whats up. I continued to drive straight another 2km then i had to make a turn. Upon turning i noticed my power steering really started to be heavy/hard to turn. This made me instantly think my tensioner was shot as the only thing connecting the battery/alternator to power steering was the serpentine system. It had a new belt in so i knew it wasnt that. By default i thought tensioner.
I Managed to get to work, and when i looked under the hood i noticed the pulley on the alternator was GONE and the belt was somehow sitting on the alternator crank shaft a bit torn up. !!

Has anybody had this happen to them or is there a replacement clutch pulley available?
I can buy a new one for 370 tax in but that sucks all over a pulley.

My only other concern was driving home as i said power steering was hard to turn. Upon entering my survey i was making s turn very slowly and my steering wheel kinda "freed up/ broke loose" from the tight steering and became extremely loose which made me worry something in the system now broke and wasnt under pressure anymore !! How do i check power steering components to ensure operation
03tdiwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2018, 13:29   #2
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Yup, when the clutch mechanism blows it can separate into pieces... belt comes off, alternator stops charging, power steering stops working.

52 bucks Canadian plus shipping from a great Canadian vendor Roseland Technical Services in NB:

https://roselandtech.ca/alternator-clutch-pulley

You'll need to borrow or otherwise obtain the splined tools needed for installation, and I'd probably replace the belt too, since it may have been stressed.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Vince Waldon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2018, 14:06   #3
03tdiwagon
Veteran Member

thank you, i should've been more clear i knew there was pulleys just the specialty tools i was more leaning towards and i didn't mention, i know it has a special tool used to turn clockwise and counter clockwise on the pulley
Old December 13th, 2018, 14:10   #4
steve6
Veteran Member

Tools

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...et/A-p8466658e
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2018, 14:36   #5
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03tdiwagon View Post
is there a replacement clutch pulley available?

I can buy a new one for 370 tax in but that sucks all over a pulley
Ah.

In terms of tools, PA stuff should work. If you prefer Metalnerd, 41 bucks plus shipping:

https://roselandtech.ca/serrated-alt...pulley-bit-set

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Old December 13th, 2018, 18:14   #6
03tdiwagon
Veteran Member

thanks for the reply guys, im going to get the princess auto set and tackle the job this weekend, i hope the set works as i ordered a pulley to pickup tomorrow i dont want to have to start cutting bits to make stuff fit.

and i have heard about metal nerd looks like German oem parts in Burlington is a registered seller, but you said 41$ plus shipping vince waldon, the one i found was this http://www.metalnerd.com/catalog/pro...5e586d88a2e97d
Old December 13th, 2018, 18:23   #7
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

You’re lucky after the pulley flew apart and you kept driving it with the serpentine belt riding on the alternator shaft that your serpentine belt didn’t shred and get sucked under the timing belt cover and your engine jump time and destroy the head.

The serpentine belt usually doesn’t make a clean break but instead turns into spaghetti and long pieces get sucked behind the timing belt cover and wind around the crank.

I wouldn’t drive it for just that reason, till you get it fixed.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2018, 23:13   #8
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Quote:
and i have heard about metal nerd looks like German oem parts in Burlington is a registered seller, but you said 41$ plus shipping vince waldon, the one i found was this http://www.metalnerd.com/catalog/pro...5e586d88a2e97d
Yup... 29 bucks AMERICAN, plus AMERICAN shipping. German OEM wants $45 CDN, looks like.

PA version should be fine...it's not a tool that will get a lot of use, but only that tool will do, so ya kinda gotta go for it.

Last edited by Vince Waldon; December 13th, 2018 at 23:17.
Old December 14th, 2018, 07:30   #9
imo000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdijarhead View Post
You’re lucky after the pulley flew apart and you kept driving it with the serpentine belt riding on the alternator shaft that your serpentine belt didn’t shred and get sucked under the timing belt cover and your engine jump time and destroy the head.

The serpentine belt usually doesn’t make a clean break but instead turns into spaghetti and long pieces get sucked behind the timing belt cover and wind around the crank.

I wouldn’t drive it for just that reason, till you get it fixed.

I agree. If a car is telling you that something is wrong, safely stop and see what the problem is and don't just keep driving it. There is a an active post on the Passat forum where the shredded serpentine belt made the timing belt jump.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2018, 15:52   #10
P2B
Veteran Member

Quote:
thanks for the reply guys, im going to get the princess auto set and tackle the job this weekend, i hope the set works as i ordered a pulley to pickup tomorrow i dont want to have to start cutting bits to make stuff fit.

The metalnerd tool is specifically designed to be short enough to change the pulley without removing the alternator from the car, the PA one looks too long to me.

Simon
2000 Canyon Red Jetta TDI GLS 300K
P2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2018, 16:20   #11
Wingnut
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5L/100km

If you need to fix it ASAP and can't wait for the tool to be mailed, you can buy the tool at Princess Auto. But you will have to remove your alternator as there is not enough clearance in front of the pulley. If you can wait till the modified tool arrives, the part can be changed with the alternator in the car.

Here is how to remove the alternator if you decide to do so:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=932019

Old Ride (2000 Black Sedan): Gone

New Ride: (2003 Silver Wagon): Malone Tuned, T4 injectors, 11mm pump, 2.5" Magnaflow cat back, PD150 intake, OMI, Wingnut SS, ERF 6 speed, Bilstein TC Sport susp. w/GTI springs, Neuspeed RSB, Santa Monica's, Autometer Cobalt Boost & EGT, MFA Sport cluster, GLI Leather seats, SS vacuum lines, AVIC Z3 Nav and I still get 4.5L/100km (I got 3.9L/100k on a tank once)
Some handy 'How to's'

Last edited by Wingnut; December 14th, 2018 at 16:26.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2018, 18:47   #12
03tdiwagon
Veteran Member

Job done. Bought princess tool. Had to remove alternator and what not. Took about 4 hours