Fuel Rail/System Pressure

MP517PRCT

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, 2011 Touareg TDI Lux
Friday after Christmas, I did my 40k PM. Noticed some metal specks sitting on top of the fuel filter.

50 miles later glow plug light starts flashing and car goes into limp mode. Fortunately, I was less than 1/2 mile from my house, so I drove home and hooked up VCDS...

000135 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure
P0087 - 004 - Too Low
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100100
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 64461 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2019.12.27
Time: 15:22:56

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1403 /min
Inj. Quantity: 43.6 mg/str
(no units): 4.0
Pressure: 1136.0 bar
Pressure: 840.0 bar
Temperature: 32.4°C
Tank Cont.: 52.9 l

Figured the HPFP went, so I had the car towed to a dealership. They cleared the code, checked the strainer in the HPFP and found no metal. They test drove the car for 15 miles with a scanner attached to it, monitored fuel pressure and could not find a problem, so I got my car back. Two days later, I drive about 100 miles away from home, and it happens again. I stopped the car, shut if off for a couple of hours, then restarted it, and the flashing glow plug light was gone, no limp mode, and the car drove (85 miles) back to the dealership normally.

The code was still in the ECU memory, so they know it happened again. Now the dealership has had my car for over a week, and can't figure out what the problem is. They called the VWAG tech help center, and were told to drive it 10-15 miles a day, until they can re-create the problem while it is connected to their scanner.

Anyone else have a similar problem? My guess is that there is a faulty sensor, since the car drove normally over 100 miles in-between incidents, and then drove normally 85 miles after the second incident. :confused:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Friday after Christmas, I did my 40k PM. Noticed some metal specks sitting on top of the fuel filter.

50 miles later glow plug light starts flashing and car goes into limp mode. Fortunately, I was less than 1/2 mile from my house, so I drove home and hooked up VCDS...

000135 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure
P0087 - 004 - Too Low
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100100
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 64461 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2019.12.27
Time: 15:22:56

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1403 /min
Inj. Quantity: 43.6 mg/str
(no units): 4.0
Pressure: 1136.0 bar
Pressure: 840.0 bar
Temperature: 32.4°C
Tank Cont.: 52.9 l

Figured the HPFP went, so I had the car towed to a dealership. They cleared the code, checked the strainer in the HPFP and found no metal. They test drove the car for 15 miles with a scanner attached to it, monitored fuel pressure and could not find a problem, so I got my car back. Two days later, I drive about 100 miles away from home, and it happens again. I stopped the car, shut if off for a couple of hours, then restarted it, and the flashing glow plug light was gone, no limp mode, and the car drove (85 miles) back to the dealership normally.

The code was still in the ECU memory, so they know it happened again. Now the dealership has had my car for over a week, and can't figure out what the problem is. They called the VWAG tech help center, and were told to drive it 10-15 miles a day, until they can re-create the problem while it is connected to their scanner.

Anyone else have a similar problem? My guess is that there is a faulty sensor, since the car drove normally over 100 miles in-between incidents, and then drove normally 85 miles after the second incident. :confused:

I had a similar problem: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=387010 However. mine only failed every 5 to 6 hundred miles.

It could be several things besides the HPFP. There is a fuel metering valve in the HPFP that can cause similar issues (my problem) and there is also a fuel pressure regulator valve on the fuel rail that can also fail and cause fuel pressure issues.
Troubleshooting this is not going to be easy. The only way I know of to get the Bosch fuel metering valve is to order it from Europe. VW's only option is to replace the whole HPFP, they don't sell the valve. The easiest (and oddly cheapest) way to replace the fuel pressure regulator valve is to replace the entire fuel rail. The valve alone actually costs more than the complete fuel rail (which includes the valve). Nobody said that it should make sense.:rolleyes:

Lets hope your car is still covered under the fix warranty. I would not be surprised if they end up replacing the HPFP.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited: