Heated seats (corrected) vw mk4 (99-05)

TDI
03 Jetta wagon
This post is an effort to gather all the information needed to wire up or troubleshoot the wiring for heated seats in one post and without errors. You will need a seat with heating elements (not all seats have them) and a switch (MK4 - 1J0 963 563). You can buy a wire harness or make your own with wire and crimp connectors. You will need to remove the steel panel under the dash, the center vent panel (where the switch goes) and 2 bolts under the front of the seat so you can tip it back and see the green connector underneath.

Overall this is the best thread I found and I would not have made this post if the errors in it had been corrected.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=38816
Within this thread G60ING and will360655 of TDIClub provide the most crucial information shown here. My edits are in brackets [].

directions
On the back of the switch there are 6 connectors 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 (4 is not used)
terminal 1 power in (positive) for backlight when lights are on. [splice into blue/gray wire which illuminates the center vent indicators]
terminal 2 power out (positive) to under-seat connector (goes to seat plug). It plugs into seat green plug terminal 4 [use 16 Gage wire or thicker]
terminal 3 heat sensor connection (goes to seat plug) It plugs into green seat plug terminal 2
[position 4 on the switch has no terminal so the next terminal is numbered 5]
terminal 5 power in (positive) for heater connection. [You can add a new fuse location (44) with all the other fuses (more work) or use a simple inline fuse] Use 7.5 amp fuse if only 1 seat is being wired or use a 15 amp fuse if you are doing both seats. The other end of the fuse goes to unswitched power connect 30 (see image) [use 16 Gage wire or thicker]
terminal 6 power in (positive) for the heat sensor. (connect to any fuse spot u can find empty and use) then to switched power (connection 75x see image)
terminal 7 Ground (you can use the ground terminal for the instruments that is right below the steering wheel)

Under the seat: In addition to the 2 connections listed above, pins 1 and 3 both go to ground (#3 carries the heater current to ground [use 16 Gage wire or thicker], #1 is for the sensor. The front bolts that hold the seat down are convenient for grounding but I had to file off the galvanized coating on the floor stud to get a connection.

Here are the images

Wiring diagram 1 courtesy of oldpoopie of TDIClub.com

Wiring Diagram 2 courtesy of CrIzNazY DiZaN of vwVortex.com

Underdash connections courtesy of G60ING of TDIClub

VW mk4 heated seat switch

Under seat connector numbers courtesy of Marapolsa of newbeetle.org

Under seat connector numbers courtesy of Jimmi of PassatWorld.com

Last edited:

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Nice work and thanks for sharing [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
My understanding is that the switches themselves are different with cloth vs leather seats. Can you address that?