CUAA 2.0TDi ECU vs Crafter 2.0 TDi CTK ECU

raymor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A2, 2.0 VW Crafter
Looking for some ECU advice please.
240hp ECU is EDC17CP74 and the VW Crafter ECU is EDC17C54. What's the main difference?
Could I manage a CUAA conversion with a reprogrammed Crafter ECU or would I need to fit the CUAA ECU and programme for the Crafter inputs?
Just keen to bottom it out and either confirm that a driveable 300hp van is possible or stop dreaming...
Thanks in advance

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
...CP74 is for piezo injectors, C54 is not. Not interchangeable software or hardware-wise (at least one of the major differences is that the respective drivers for piezo and solenoid injectors work on different voltages).

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
...CP74 is for piezo injectors, C54 is not. Not interchangeable software or hardware-wise (at least one of the major differences is that the respective drivers for piezo and solenoid injectors work on different voltages).
I should first qualify that statement. Some of the maps may be transferrable, but they're for different states of tune of quite different engine hardware configurations and will not be optimal. A custom mapping will likely be necessary anyway.

That said, you don't need the software or ECU from the 240 HP engine to make 300 in your Crafter (why do you want so much power for a work truck or camper I don't know but that's a different issue).

You will certainly require an upgraded turbo (or turbos if you want to copy the 240's bi-turbo route) and likely upgraded injector nozzles - piezo is not a prerequisite for power, it's more about power@emissions.

I don't know which models have already rolled out with the EA288 EVO engine, but the cool thing about it is that it's the first production VAG Diesel engine with steel pistons. It would be a great score to find a set on eBay.

Last edited:

raymor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A2, 2.0 VW Crafter
Thanks for that explanation. Its another Racevan build, this time with 2.0 which
is high mileage, but still good. Trying to think ahead if/when it fails as to what other upgrade options there might be.

For now, it looks like a remap and start the 8HP75 gearbox upgrade is the most straightforward and give best benefit.... a 300hp racevan would always be a nice to have when you're trying to make the ferry home �� but not to be - at least not in the short term.

Thank you ��

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
I don't have first-hand experience with it, but a GTD2872VRK from Darkside might be the only ticket you need turbo-wise. Note that this turbo doesn't exist directly from Garrett but appears to be a Frankenstein unit of cobbled-together components. Nothing wrong with that if it shows the dyno numbers, which it appears to do, and the vendor will stand by it. The low-end torque might be a little soft for such a heavy vehicle, though, but the automatic transmission should forgive that somewhat if you can program in launch control.

You might then be looking at a HPFP upgrade to a larger CP4.2 or CP3.3 R90. I haven't kept up with the aftermarket for CR nozzles, but apparently a lot of people have been able to get pretty big power with stock units and just dailing up the rail pressure and lengthening the injection duration through mapping. If your high-mileage injectors are showing signs of getting tired, finding a set from a higher-rated engine like a 3.0 might be the way to go. Bobby Singh got 500+ HP out of one with stock 3.0 injectors so by proportion 300 is eminently doable. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=485719

Edit: Here's a good reference thread on tuning the 3.0. Much of the knowledge will transfer to the 2.0 as regards fuelling.
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php/t-170005.html

Last edited:

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
8hp gearbox upgrade is pretty much impossible without standalone ecu for it to work

turbos ..there are plenty options out there

ea288 with steel pistons? never heard of it before now and i dont see a problem with aluminum pistons, they take lot of abuse

raymor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A2, 2.0 VW Crafter
8HP standalone GCU is on its way from HTG (Poland).

Yeah thinking I could probably get away with a little less torque at low rpm, but want to avoid if I can. Will remap first of all as an interim move, but do like the whole OEM package of CUAA performance right across the powerband.... although 74 ECU in Crafter sounds impossible.

altz1

Veteran Member
TDI
A8 4H 4.2TDI, Cayenne 4.2TDI, 6.0TDI
Steel pistons reduce heat transfer which helps speed up the burn in the piston crown. I'd say it's more about soot reduction and emissions than preformance
In that case it should mean theoretically higher rpm limit also?

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
So far i dont know anybody that has done a 8hp with GCU ..its a hell of a job.
we know a great tuner that is working on it for months now.
he had to start from 0 ..not as easy as it seems