2005.5 Jetta- Oil Overfill @ Dealer- Thoughts Please

Chramiec

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta +'96 Wagon
Hey Folks,
I could use some informed opinions on this one. I just brought my recently purchased (bought w/17k on it) '05.5 in for the 20k service. There was one warranty issue so I thought I'd go to the dealer instead of my trusted local guy. Long story short: I checked oil at home (yes, level ground) and it was a good 1/2'' over the max line. I drive back this a.m. (maybe not the best decision) and had them take it down. Of course I should have popped the hood right there and checked (and seen the oil sprayed all over the place near the filter) but I had to get the squirming three-year old to daycare and they couldn't screw that simple job up, right? Wrong. Now it's only a quarter inch over.
A.)Do I go back again?
B.)Did my 20 miles of driving screw anything up?
Some other gems from my first dealer visit in 10 years:
After reminding the Desk Tech (leader of the 'blue team') that it's a TDI and to use the 505 01 when I drop it off, I ask him to confirm which oil he used when I pick it up: Chevron! Chevron he says! Without crapping my pants I ask him to confirm this with the tech because Castrol is what they were supposed to have used so he disappears and returns to say 'oh yeah, castrol'... A real confidence booster--- I'm not going to be wondering for the next 10k...
$410 for the 20k service.
$90 (1hr) to install the mudflaps ('that should be really quick and easy since we'll have the tires off when we rotate them)...
Well, at least the shuttle driver was pleasant.
Thanks for any comments.
Pete

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I think Drivbiwire was saying that you could actually overfill by 3 qts without doing damage. So the 1/4" over is probably OK.

Can you verify the oil that was put in? I would make absolutely certain that it was the 505.01 Castrol. Talk to the actual tech if you can. It should also be listed by part number on your work order.

05TDI_Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005,
Chramiec said:
Hey Folks,
I could use some informed opinions on this one. I just brought my recently purchased (bought w/17k on it) '05.5 in for the 20k service. There was one warranty issue so I thought I'd go to the dealer instead of my trusted local guy. Long story short: I checked oil at home (yes, level ground) and it was a good 1/2'' over the max line. I drive back this a.m. (maybe not the best decision) and had them take it down. Of course I should have popped the hood right there and checked (and seen the oil sprayed all over the place near the filter) but I had to get the squirming three-year old to daycare and they couldn't screw that simple job up, right? Wrong. Now it's only a quarter inch over.
A.)Do I go back again?
B.)Did my 20 miles of driving screw anything up?
Some other gems from my first dealer visit in 10 years:
After reminding the Desk Tech (leader of the 'blue team') that it's a TDI and to use the 505 01 when I drop it off, I ask him to confirm which oil he used when I pick it up: Chevron! Chevron he says! Without crapping my pants I ask him to confirm this with the tech because Castrol is what they were supposed to have used so he disappears and returns to say 'oh yeah, castrol'... A real confidence booster--- I'm not going to be wondering for the next 10k...
$410 for the 20k service.
$90 (1hr) to install the mudflaps ('that should be really quick and easy since we'll have the tires off when we rotate them)...
Well, at least the shuttle driver was pleasant.
Thanks for any comments.
Pete
I doubt that any real damage was done in that short a distance. I had a similar situation, at the 8000 KM / 5000 mile service I was out of the country and in the souther US, well, they did at least use the right oil, only they put in WAY TOO MUCH of the good stuff. I did not notice until I decided to check it when I stopped for fuel the next day. WAY OVer, about a good inch or so. I went back, they did not beleive me at first, then the advisor went out, pulled the stick, complained that it was too hot, (summer, florida heat, highway, a/c... you wonder do you think the oil might be hot) and sure enough, confirmed too much oil. Then they pulled the car, took some out, said allwas ok. Again, I should have checked it but it was getting late, before heading back home 2500 KM drive, at the gas station in the early morning check it, guess what, still over, now maybe 1/2 inch. I had to drive it back as there was no way to get it taken care of. Long story short, 20,000 KM, all "seems" to fine. I did check the oil frequently enroute, and stopped at my dealer before going home, off of the highway streight to the dealer. Funny, they complained less about the temeprature of the oil, and the car just came off of the highway...

Just make sure they use the correct oil, and all should be good.

Good luck,
Chris

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I changed my oil this weekend and dumped the full five litres of 505.01. The oil was about 3/8 inch over the top bend. So then I started the engine and it was about 3/8 inch below the top bend.

So just check your oil level with the engine running and it will look fine.

And I believe that DBW said that it would take three quarts of extra oil before it would come into contact with the crank. I am assuming that meant with the engine shut off, so with the engine running, it would drop 6/8 inch below that. At that level, it may be possible for the oil to contact the crank during hard cornering and get splashed onto the cylinder walls and hence burned.

But 1/4 an inch over isn't going to do squat, regardless of what VW and Dieseldorf say. Remember, they engineers give the max level for it so be run safe but the lawyers decide where the marks on the dipstick should be.

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
Make sure it's had the oil dipstick recall done. If I remember right those read high.

Chramiec

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta +'96 Wagon
Thanks y'all...
The manual and the warning sticker did their job of scaring me pretty good. It seems like I'll survive. Thanks for the 'real world' experience.
Now where's that 'How'd we do?' card the dealer left me...