2004 passat TDI build and manual conversion.300HP/500ft lbs tq

TDI
2004 PASSAT
Hi everyone. I am building my 04 passat. It currently has a auto tranny that blew up. Am swapping for a 1.8t tranny with stage 4 competition clutch, short throw shifter, egr delete, upgrading intercooler with aluminum piping. Also doing cold air intake and a 3 inch straight exhaust and a nice tune.. Car has 190xxx. Any suggestions or ideas about fuel upgrade?(or is yhe stock one good enough) I'm going to be putting a larger turbo and injectors. And does the block need a piston upgrade or anything?

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Sounds like you need to do some searching and reading. 300hp isn't as easy as just throwing a turbo, injectors and IC piping on your car. I would also recommend against the gasser gearing in your TDI.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Don't cry when you look at the dyno sheet after you've dropped 10k and aren't even close to that HP/trq level.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
06' Jetta TDI dsg, 445,000 miles and counting!
I think its crazy that guys will spend 10k on their tdi in pursuit of a measly 300 whp! Save yourself some grief and enjoy the car for what it was intended for...efficiency and practicality. First of all these cars are plenty of fun as is with a simple re-tune and second to that, I have found that many simply are not resourceful which is why they spend so much ( i know there are exceptions and this is not intended as an insult). Be realistic about your goals and be smart about your upgrades and you can come up with a very fun combination that will not cost 10k. Since you have a pd you will quickly realize that it is stupid expensive to have the nozzles upgraded so why not maximize the potential of the stock nozzles. The passat was blessed with the pd130 injectors which are very similar to the pd150 units and they can support upwards of 230 bhp or about 200 whp. If you stick with the stock injectors you will save yourself a grand or more right off the block. The bhw was also blessed with a pretty stout bottom end so you dont have to worry about different pistons or rods. The cylinder head flows well in stock form and the stock bhw cam is the best stock grind available for the pd...if it is in good shape! Basically what I am saying is, you already have a solid platform so appreciate it for what it is and stay within its boundaries. A malone stg.2 tune and a good gtb style turbo (gtb1756 or 2056) would suite that car nicely. I wouldn't do much more. A franko6 reground cam would be nice but thats a pricey upgrade although its more for longevity than performance...all good in my book.

Now for the transmission...the 1.8t ezg transmission is the worst possible choice. At the very least find yourself a DVZ out of a v6 passat. You could take it a step further and purchase the tdi 5th gear set from advanced auto motion (500 bux) and have that installed for a decent compromise. At that point though you are almost spending as much as it would cost to just buy a real tdi gearbox from Europe. If you are resourceful you could do what I did and buy a complete tdi gear set (input shaft and pinion) with ring gear from Europe and have that installed in your ezg case. I was able to save loads on shipment and I have an uncle who builds transmissions so labor was free...total cost was 400 including donor v6 tranny.

Finally, you need to look into the balance shaft module issues you are facing plus the cam issue. Get those sorted before you do anything else!

Good luck and have fun.:cool:

Last edited:
TDI
2004 PASSAT
Well I defanatly haven't spent close to 10, 000.... I had to hold off on injectors, head studs and a bigger fuel lift pump due to me getting out of the Marines and money for a house it a bit more important. Still a work in progress. Will post the dyno sheet up when its done.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
as said above stick with the stock injectors and cam, get rid of the BSM and replace with an oil pump (cheap)...go to LKQ and pick your own passat V6 5 speed trans and swap bits (again cheap) ...get rid of the 1749va and replace with a bv43a plus tune .... do your own labor and you're still around 2k for 200 hp