www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old March 26th, 2012, 20:20   #1
vwztips
Veteran Member

Default 5 Speed manual conversion update

Well I picked up a 2004 B5.5 with a bad tranny and decided to convert it to a manual. I removed the complete engine and tranny and installed a BSM while it was out. Also inspected the cam, bearings and lifters. Cam was within specs but the lifters had some wear so I decided to replace the lifters and cam bearings.

As for the tranny, I found a donor V6 car with all the necessary parts. I have performed a lot of calculations for various VW trannys and found the optimum one in Europe. So before ordering one from Europe, installing it and being less than pleased with the results, I installed the DVZ 5 speed tranny from the V6 gasser. As expected from my prior calculations the ratios are not what I want but it helps get all my bugs out first.

Several steps were just a royal pain but nothing patience and lack of sleep could not over come.

3-26-12 update
I received my tranny from Europe and installed it along with a SMF Valeo clutch. Have been working with Mike at TDTuning to get the Stage 2 tune dialed in with no lights or codes thrown. Car runs great and is a blast to drive. Have put over 1500 miles on the car since the swap and have avg 33 MPG or above around town. 40+ on hwy but have not had too many trips yet.

Here are some (poor) pics of the manual shifter. One note about the shifter is that I had one on the shelf with clear coat/stain cracked and peeling off. I removed the rest of it, stained the wood underneath and put 4 coats of polyurethane on it. $5 of materials vs dealer cost of $300+ for a shift knob!

Also had gauge set leftover from one of my 1.8t cars and installed them as well.

Last edited by vwztips; March 26th, 2012 at 20:31.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 21:15   #2
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Well I say old boy, that wood looks good enough for the queen what what.

So what's next? Bigger injectors and turbo for some more madness and fun?

Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 05:22   #3
vwztips
Veteran Member

Nope. While it would be great to have more power, the blend of power and reliability along with not having to worry about the torque convertor or auto gearbox, I am more than satisfied with the way it is set up.
Old March 27th, 2012, 06:16   #4
JFettig

TDI(s): B5 Passat
Fuel Economy: 42 MPG

Awesome.

Hows the chatter with that flywheel/clutch combo? I am told that it takes VR6 pressure plates by one vendor.

Jon
ECU Socketing
DIY injector calibration http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383324
JFettig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 06:50   #5
vwztips
Veteran Member

None, nice and smooth
Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:57   #6
50harleyrider
Veteran Member

keep good records of the swap in case I have to do it to your grey one (hopefully not for a while).
50harleyrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 20:00   #7
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 MPG (~ 55% city)

Everyone:

Would like to get some updates about this conversion if possible from the folks that have had limited or complete success. My understanding is that the five speed transmission comes from Europe and it is avialable from a vendor(s) in the US (around $1200). Turbo clutch/flywheel is the Valeo brand ($500 or so). Other points/questions:

* ECU tuning (by TDTuning) enables ABS/ESP to work properly, correct?
* Cruise works by following the Bentley manual (more details please).
* Where does one gets the necessary wire harness for this conversion?
* Brake pedal + clutch + other accessories available from a junkyard?
* Potential risks involved about this conversion? Unacceptable vibration? Etc.
* Other important points/steps I missed.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 21:38   #8
lynnejohn
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
Everyone:

Would like to get some updates about this conversion if possible from the folks that have had limited or complete success. My understanding is that the five speed transmission comes from Europe and it is avialable from a vendor(s) in the US (around $1200). Turbo clutch/flywheel is the Valeo brand ($500 or so). Other points/questions:

* ECU tuning (by TDTuning) enables ABS/ESP to work properly, correct?
* Cruise works by following the Bentley manual (more details please).
* Where does one gets the necessary wire harness for this conversion?
* Brake pedal + clutch + other accessories available from a junkyard?
* Potential risks involved about this conversion? Unacceptable vibration? Etc.
* Other important points/steps I missed.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.
Please add me to the list of possible manual conversion. It would be great to know that I don't have to worry about losing a torque convertor.

Thanks.
lynnejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:59   #9
thundershorts
Veteran Member

replacing a tc is a lot less complex and costly, especially since you are near Eriksson. Most of those conversions are done by people who do it themselves so labor costs are not factored in. Thousands less.
Old December 5th, 2012, 06:27   #10
vwztips
Veteran Member

Tikal, you pretty much have it correct. You will need the needle bearing for the end of the crank. All conversion parts for the 5 speed can be found in the junkyard (pedals, linkage, hydraulic line for clutch, axles from 2000 up).
You have to make your own wiring connections. Under the dash it is all for the clutch (for the interlock and cruise) which Bentley maual will show you which wires have to go where. The only wires in the engine bay are for the back up lights to work.

It is a lot of fun to drive. I put some LRR 15" tires and rims on and my MPG around town has jumped to 34 from 32. Could possibly be better if I could keep my foot out of it

I have a couple of conversions I am working on will be up for sale soon.
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:37   #11
50harleyrider
Veteran Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwztips View Post
Tikal, you pretty much have it correct. You will need the needle bearing for the end of the crank. All conversion parts for the 5 speed can be found in the junkyard (pedals, linkage, hydraulic line for clutch, axles from 2000 up).
You have to make your own wiring connections. Under the dash it is all for the clutch (for the interlock and cruise) which Bentley maual will show you which wires have to go where. The only wires in the engine bay are for the back up lights to work.

It is a lot of fun to drive. I put some LRR 15" tires and rims on and my MPG around town has jumped to 34 from 32. Could possibly be better if I could keep my foot out of it

I have a couple of conversions I am working on will be up for sale soon.
Give me a quote on converting mine and I won't have to change the title and all the cash will flow your way

Last edited by 50harleyrider; December 5th, 2012 at 10:40.
50harleyrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 08:58   #12
vdubvento

Fuel Economy: 6.4L/100km AVG

I just had my manual swap completed. These cars should have came like this in North America... would have sold tens of thousands more!

Makes sooo much better use of the engine.

vdubvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:30   #13
QuickTD
Veteran Member

I just completed a slightly more complicated version of the manual swap. I swapped a 2005 bhw engine from a wreck into a 2002 1.8t gasser. The trans was made up of 1st and second gears from the 1.8T, 3rd and 4th gears from a V6 and a real tdi 5th gearset I purchased from a member here. I used a valeo single mass flywheel for the 1.8t. Trans is excellent.

Wiring was swapped as required from the diesel to the gas. A few small harness changes, diesel fuel pump relay and 3 speed fan harnesses were retrofitted as well as reverse light wiring. ECM wakeup power is on a different pin of the bulkhead connector. Other than that it was straightforward. Entire diesel fuel tank was installed. Cluster and keys are from the diesel as well, no immo trouble that way.

Tuning and reflashing was just completed by TD tuning. Car only has ABS and ASR. ABS module was coded 00012. No CEL and ABS and ASR both work fine. Still have a minor cruise problem. It worked before the flash but not after, since the clutch switch is enabled. VCDS shows no change in switch position when the clutch is depressed, so I'm assuming thats the problem. I have the wiring in place from pedal switch to bulkhead connector, forgot to check the ECM side of the harness... I'm gessing the wire isn't there, although it is shown in the schematic. I'll find out this evening.

Did a balance shaft delete while the engine was out. I used an ALH oil pump. I have no reference for vibes since the wreck was undrivable. Seems fine to me.
QuickTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:30   #14
vwztips
Veteran Member

Adjust the clutch switch for the cruise. I have had issues with them switching properly. Also, if you have not run a wire to the ECM for the cruise you will need to do so. It's either pin 63 or 68
Old December 6th, 2012, 16:08   #15
QuickTD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwztips View Post
Adjust the clutch switch for the cruise. I have had issues with them switching properly. Also, if you have not run a wire to the ECM for the cruise you will need to do so. It's either pin 63 or 68
Clutch switch is on pin 43 of ECM and normally in a manual (which my chassis is) it goes to pin 13 of the T15a(white) bulkhead connector. I cheated a bit and used the (grey) wire for the kickdown switch which is now unused and just moved the ECM end of the wire from pin 59 to 43 and the T15a end from pin 5 to 13. Didn't have to untape the harness or anything that way. This method would work fine for a manual swap as well, assuming you pass the wiring through T15a.

Cruise now works fine. The electrical portion of my build is complete.
QuickTD is offline   Reply With Quote