Quaife Peloquin or Wavetrac

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
I can get anything new.

Retail is 895. Can do it for 795 plus shipping.
ah i gotcha, thought you were selling a used one i could snatch up. these rarely come up for sale used. thats a very good price on a new one though.

is this something i can install myself or do i need to pay a shop to put it into the tranny, and do you have a "how-to" you can point me toward? I have a spare tranny on the shelf that i can install it into, but it has a 350K miles on it...

i can pull the trans... done it more times than id care to admit this year. ive done IP swaps, timing belts, head gaskets, etc just to give you an idea of my mechanical inclination... if it doesnt require machining or a big press i can probably do it myself.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
It's a great upgrade. I regret putting 300k on my B4 without one. Have a Quaife in the track car and it's so much more fun to drive. The biggest difference is coming out of first and second gear corners on dry pavement. Instead of throttle on understeer the car just rockets out of the corner. Helps a lot on low grip surfaces too. Not sure what would happen on a slimy boat landing, you might boil two tires instead of one, but you would have a much better chance of getting out of it. I'm taking a hard look at a 2017 GTI Sport. That trim level has a revolutionary LSD. Will post some links later.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Peloquin and similar only transmit the torque of the lowest loaded wheel to the highest loaded wheel. If you can get 20 ft lbf torque on one wheel before it loses traction, then you'll only get 20 ft lbf torque on the other for a total of 40. If one spins easily, double of zero is still zero.

With a wavetrak, there is a clutch inside that provides a bias so even if one tire is in the air, the other will still transmit some torque to the ground. How much that is , I don't know, but mine will spin the tire on pavement with the other on ice.
typical Torsen setups (Peloquin/Quaife) have a 4:1 ratio, so if the "loose" wheel can only accept 20 ft-lbs of input, you'll get 80 at the other wheel for a total of 100ft-lbs before significant wheel spin.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I went with a Peloquin, best mod I've ever done to a car, lol, not that I've
ever done any modding until I got hold of a TDI. Haven't driven any of the other brands, but the opportunity to talk to the owner, lifetime warranty, and the included bolt package were factors that influenced
my decision.

Once you've driven one, you realise what you've been missing.

kwong7

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI / White
I also went with a Peloquin on my MK4. It was sitting on my parts shelf for 8 years and I wish I did it sooner. I was waiting for my clutch/flywheel to wear out and it took 14 years for the pressure plate fingers to break (the actual friction disc still had plenty of meat with 250K miles on it).

New clutch/flywheel and Peloquin, the car feels more like a video game. There's so much more grip and launching the car from 0-30mph has completely changed. I have to tame the fun factor back a little bit as the inside shoulder of the front-right tire showed premature wear. Luckily I had an extra pair of tires sitting in my garage.