www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old February 16th, 2018, 20:24   #16
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

That sounds like a legitimate reason to use one. I wouldn't hesitate either if I was driving from Texas to the Great White North in winter conditions.

2015 Beetle TDI.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 20:43   #17
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.

I had a 16 mile freeway commute and that was not enough to keep the DPF happy. It's just a very badly engineered bad idea. All you can do is limp it along as long as possible until out of warranty then remedy it properly, IMO.
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 21:06   #18
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

The only issue I see is there is no way to know its status. If they had provided some kind of display to tell the driver where it currently was in relation to dpf regen status and the ability to start a regen early or delay one for some short time, things would be much better. I track mine using the vagdpf app (no longer supported) and have had no issues so far. Without the app though it is hit or miss unless you pay very close attention. Torque app has made some headway in monitoring the regens as well. We will see. The process works well you just don't have a clue about anything and it is kind of critical you do unless you are 70% highway or more.

2015 Beetle TDI.
Old February 17th, 2018, 15:17   #19
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
The only issue I see is there is no way to know its status. If they had provided some kind of display to tell the driver where it currently was in relation to dpf regen status and the ability to start a regen early or delay one for some short time, things would be much better. I track mine using the vagdpf app (no longer supported) and have had no issues so far. Without the app though it is hit or miss unless you pay very close attention. Torque app has made some headway in monitoring the regens as well. We will see. The process works well you just don't have a clue about anything and it is kind of critical you do unless you are 70% highway or more.
Yep, basically someone decided that diesels with DPF are "for highway use only" and engineered the DPF's accordingly. So utterly stupid--and such a simple thing, you wonder how they overlooked plain common sense. They should have an interactive that lets you know something like: "I need 15 uninterrupted minutes for regen soon, please authorize when you are ready." Then the driver could defer it, but the "xx" minute time would just grow. It would decrease DPF early deaths more than any other thing, IMO.

Last edited by nicklockard; February 17th, 2018 at 15:20.
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 15:53   #20
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

For those interested in the view from the other side of the Atlantic you might want to look at site (in English) such as this one where there is much bigger and experienced pool of CR owners with DPF and SCR (as compared to North America):

http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/index.php

For the OP might want to research also the experience of TDI owners in Europe with DPF/SCR using ashless two stroke oil.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 17:15   #21
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard View Post
Yep, basically someone decided that diesels with DPF are "for highway use only" and engineered the DPF's accordingly. So utterly stupid--and such a simple thing, you wonder how they overlooked plain common sense. They should have an interactive that lets you know something like: "I need 15 uninterrupted minutes for regen soon, please authorize when you are ready." Then the driver could defer it, but the "xx" minute time would just grow. It would decrease DPF early deaths more than any other thing, IMO.
I picked up my Ram 1500 Ecodiesel yesterday. According to the owners manual, it will tell me when I need a regen and also when the truck is in the process. I put about 20 miles on it for the test drive and then 100 coming home. So I’m sitting at about 135. Too soon for a regen.
Old February 21st, 2018, 16:35   #22
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Search here and in Google using keywords "cerium dpf" and "eolys". These are additives that reduce the activation temperature for the DPF. Note however that VW doesn't sanction the use of any such additives, and there are questions and concerns about heavy rare earth metal - which Ce is - mining and accumulation in the environment.

Edit: When all is said, there's nothing better than proper maintenance and driving schedule that allows the DPF regeneration always to complete. Driving short distances is death for Diesels, even pre-DPF ones. Sorry to say, but choosing a right car for the job is a good principle to follow, and if your usage habits are biased toward short trips, it would be better just to get non-Diesel car.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.

Last edited by TDIMeister; February 21st, 2018 at 16:41.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 09:36   #23
BleachedBora

+1 Meister

No additives needed with any type of fuel purchased in California, though Propel is the best stuff you can get!

KJclow - nice truck! You need to add it to your list of Cars/TDI's
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2018, 19:08   #24
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
Search here and in Google using keywords "cerium dpf" and "eolys". These are additives that reduce the activation temperature for the DPF. Note however that VW doesn't sanction the use of any such additives, and there are questions and concerns about heavy rare earth metal - which Ce is - mining and accumulation in the environment.
Edit: When all is said, there's nothing better than proper maintenance and driving schedule that allows the DPF regeneration always to complete. Driving short distances is death for Diesels, even pre-DPF ones. Sorry to say, but choosing a right car for the job is a good principle to follow, and if your usage habits are biased toward short trips, it would be better just to get non-Diesel car.
Thanks for the reminder about Cerium. I realize that I posted on this topic a while back with some more background information and usage in Europe:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=456424

Perhaps the fact that products such as this one are not available in the US is because they contain Cerium and are not allowed by the EPA.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 05:07   #25
clacker
Veteran Member

You don't need a highway run, just an app with your smart phone and a plug in obd bluetooth dongle telling you when the regens happen and let it finish before shutting down. City driving is fine, it just takes longer as each deceleration lowers the temps, constant driving is better but speed has nothing to do with it, just constant driving at any speed. The event happens every 500ish miles or depending on soot load (there are other factors but the distance and loading ones are the prime factors). I find on rural roads it takes a good 12 miles to run through a regen-a good 15 minutes of driving in those roads. It starts off within a half mile of driving in warmer temps...
clacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 08:45   #26
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

Is Propel HPR acceptable under VW's warranty restrictions regarding biodiesel?
Old March 8th, 2018, 12:45   #27
tomo366
TDI Lifer

As of today I will be using Hot Shots Secret EDT and Diesel Extreme in my BMW
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2018, 07:17   #28
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement (aka the white bottle) is the O negative of diesel fuel additives. You can find it anywhere and it works fine in any application any time of the year. If you don't want to think or hunt or pay an exotic price, just use PS white.

Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2018, 08:16   #29
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Hen_TDI View Post
Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement (aka the white bottle) is the O negative of diesel fuel additives. You can find it anywhere and it works fine in any application any time of the year. If you don't want to think or hunt or pay an exotic price, just use PS white.
This coming from the gut that keeps jumping back and forth.....cant keep a TDI for more than a year or so.......
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2018, 09:22   #30
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Show me proof that these additives (any of them) do substantially any more to reduce regens. Regen management is the real key here not additives. Of the two you mentioned only Diesel Extreme mentions "up to" 50% reduction in regens, and then nothing more mentioned in the literature available on its page. It talks all around about cleaning and detergents, but how dirty can a 2015 with 5k miles be? I doubt there is much help there to be found. Their other claim is improving the fuel, but the OP is in California with supposedly some of the best mandated diesel fuel in the US. Fuel additives can only improve so much especially if the fuel is already top notch. I find little to be gained here either.

I have nothing against additives where and when needed but for this purpose/post they seem useless. Some people use them all the time and many others never use them at all. Both without issues for the most part. I have tried many kinds in the past and saw no benefit from them without scientific testing being done.

2015 Beetle TDI.