Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old February 8th, 2016, 10:46   #1
Veteran Member
Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)
Default Cerium based diesel fuel additives

I think this topic came out some time ago but I did not see any links with some explanation about it:

One of the products that uses this technology to reduce particulate matter and potentially clean DPF and catalytic converters:

Specifically formulated for use with DPFs, Platinum Plus DFX-DPF delivers benefits at multiple levels.
  • Passive and controlled regeneration are made possible at temperatures in the low 300C range, easily achieved by the bus operators in their regular route, by either driving the bus at highway speeds or by loading the engine on uphill grades for 5-10 minutes. This activity will either dramatically reduce or eliminate cleaning requirements.
  • Controlled regeneration without fear of run-away heat production, which might otherwise damage filter integrity or create tailpipe flames
  • Complete regeneration of even dry soot from the EGR engines dropped backpressure from 5 psi to 0.5 psi.
  • Platinum Plus increases the rate and completeness of combustion, thereby lowering the amount of engine-out soot by as much as 25%. This helped maintain a cleaner DPF longer, based on decreased loading; even five months after passive regeneration, backpressure did not exceed 3 psi.
  • More complete combustion and less backpressure also improved fuel economy (although specific amounts were not measured in the course of this program).
Complete passive regeneration initiated by loading the engine between 2250-2450 rpm.

Another company using this technology is Xenum in Belgium:

Cerium Oxide in NEXGENTM

As far as I know this technology is not widely used in North America but in Europe. Maybe because of EPA regulations?

I am posting this in the spirit of discussion and I am not endorsing any of these products.

Last edited by tikal; February 8th, 2016 at 11:47. Reason: spelling
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 11:28   #2
South Coast Guy
Veteran Member
Fuel Economy: Good

Another additive. Sigh.
South Coast Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 07:44   #3
Veteran Member

googled it and cerium oxide is used as a polishing compound so that pretty much takes it off the list of things I want to put in my engine.

It is used as an agent in self cleaning ovens and as a less expensive replacement for platinum in cats so it does do the items listed in the first product's bullet points, but each of those items are something is, or may, already be done. As the consumer, the ability to replace platinum does nothing for me, but it does look good when attached as a bullet point.
wensteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 10:17   #4
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor
TDI(s): None

A lot of the reason why cerium oxide-based DPF additives didn't fly in the US was because the EPA was really leery of any emissions additives altogether.

No reason why they couldn't allow it now, though, now that AdBlue is OK.

Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 12:00   #5
Veteran Member
Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

I agree with bhtooefr. I am sure there are pros and cons but it is a technology that it is staying and possibly increasing in usage worldwide:

Evidences of the cerium oxide-catalysed DPF regeneration in a real diesel engine exhaust: http://rua.ua.es/dspace/bitstream/10...l_TopCatal.pdf

Take this company which is mainstream in Europe, Wynns which is using it:

Sometimes we are technology adverse if it was not initiated in America.

Last edited by tikal; February 16th, 2016 at 12:01. Reason: Spelling
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 23:43   #6
Veteran Member
Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, Citroen 55- 63

yes, we've talked about it before; both the factory fitted injected system used by PSA (Eolys) as well as that Wynns stuff. I've used the Wynns additive and it did extend the period between active regens...
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote