rocketeer928 - My 2003 VW Jetta TDI

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
I think he said very clearly that he did not FEEL any substantial differences with the additional air intake changes. Repeating the same question, albeit in different wording, is not likely to elicit a different answer.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Nicely continued upgrades, rocket. Always a fan of improved breathing mods.

Just curious if you would care to summarize your $$ investment in performance upgrades? (not sure if your significant other knows about this thread)

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Thanks shizzler. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback about improving the breathing modifications from quite a few of our fellow TDIers, mostly outside of my thread.

Though not 100% supportive (maybe 80%), in general my wife does know about the $$$ I've spent on the Jetta over the last couple of years. She even guessed once on how much I have spent, and she was remarkably close. I've even surprised myself on how much I spent in 2009 alone. Realistically, it was too much all at once.

I never thought when I bought the car that I would catch a modification bug. But, the first time I saw my clogged EGR and intake manifold and then did some research, one thing led to another. And, I'm not quite done (few more mods coming), though I won't spend nearly as much money as I have during the two past years. We have some house improvements that really should be tackled.

I'll think about the summarization of the total costs, and maybe post it at a later date. However, I don't really like showing off. I have created this thread to be informative and because it's fun to share my experiences to help others.

I've enjoyed looking at your 03 Jetta GLS TDI thread too, as well as others threads dedicated to folks modifications.

Last edited:

SchonerGTI

TDI
VW Golf IV RTD
mech644 said:
I think he said very clearly that he did not FEEL any substantial differences with the additional air intake changes. Repeating the same question, albeit in different wording, is not likely to elicit a different answer.
I asked two times because he has done 2 different modifications, first che R32 mod and then the ARL/ASZ intake and i'm very interested into these mods and what they can do, a detailed description of the feelings is appreciated a lot to everyone i think.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!

I spent the evening creating a spreadsheet detailing the cost of all the maintenance items, supplies, and modification hardware used on my Jetta TDI, including shipping and CT sales tax. This includes subtracting the cost of items I've sold. Frankly, I'm too embarrassed and ashamed to post how much I've spent in the last two years. I simply can't believe it. I should have been keeping this spreadsheet all along.

Good thing this car gets great fuel mileage!

Yes, I legally must pay taxes on all items I use in CT, and I do... I'm probably one of 10 people in my state that actually follows the Individual Use Tax law here in CT on all qualified purchases, including internet purchases and shipping. Most people ignore this law, and it's not enforced well. But, if you really knew me you would understand why I choose to follow the law.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Drove from MA to Ann Arbor today. Did several runs in 2nd and 3rd to 5000+ RPM. Car pulls strongly, no problems. Tune is important, but intake helps.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow! That's got to be a 12 - 13 hour trip (at normal speed). Did you go through Ohio or Ontario? I once made the trip to Lansing, MI from MA back in 1990 through Ontario. It's a good drive. So, are you racing the IBW this weekend? If so, have fun and drive safe while going fast!

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Drove from MA to Ann Arbor today. Did several runs in 2nd and 3rd to 5000+ RPM. Car pulls strongly, no problems. Tune is important, but intake helps.
MMmmmm, my guess is ..... you were not trying to see how good your fuel mileage would be on a long trip :p .... In order to have the look of being on topic ... much smoke at WOT?

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
rocketeer928 said:
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!

...I simply can't believe it.
Umm, ... sorry about that. My car has many fewer mods than yours and it has also still been very expensive. It's a hobby though. Kinda sucks that VW could have just sold a sport edition PD150 TDI here in the states and we'd all end up saving a few thousand dollars on mods, but what are ya gonna do.

Pete, welcome to ace deuce! I don't really understand why you are reporting about how well your car is pulling in rocket's thread though...?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I think Peter's post was a further point on the advantage of installing the PD150 intake manifold and R32 lower air box, snorkel, etc. to SchonerGTI. Totally understandable to me.

Yes, it's a hobby. So, I am not too distraught about the money I've spent so far, just surprised at the total.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Don't post it.... wifey might read this thread and bust you. Next thing you know...

rocketeer928 said:
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!

I spent the evening creating a spreadsheet detailing the cost of all the maintenance items, supplies, and modification hardware used on my Jetta TDI, including shipping and CT sales tax. This includes subtracting the cost of items I've sold. Frankly, I'm too embarrassed and ashamed to post how much I've spent in the last two years.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
rocketeer928 said:
Wow! That's got to be a 12 - 13 hour trip (at normal speed). Did you go through Ohio or Ontario? I once made the trip to Lansing, MI from MA back in 1990 through Ontario. It's a good drive. So, are you racing the IBW this weekend? If so, have fun and drive safe while going fast!
I was reporting on how well it pulls. It has some smoke at WOT, but not a ton. And meganuke, PeterV and I were going to the Detroit Auto Show last weekend. 14 hours or so (Ann Arbor/Duxbury) with stops. Pretty good trip until we hit snow in western MA last night.

I typically don't really drive for economy. I like to go 75 on interstates, higher if speed laws and traffic are encouraging. ;) Meganuke drove 247 miles in about 3 1/4 hours yesterday. We're still getting about 44.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
FMJ Engine Side Shields - Don't Bother

Last night, I tried to install the Dieselgeek MKIV Aluminum "Full Metal Jacket" Engine Side Shields to go along with the DG Panzer Plate that I have on my Jetta TDI. After 4 hours of frustration, I gave up and stayed with the plastic side shields.

On the passenger side shield I had to cut away some of the metal so that it would fit around the intercooler tubing coming from the 17/22 hybrid turbo. I expected to have to make such modifications to the side shield, so that was not the issue.

The real issue with these aluminum side shields is twofold. First, the Dzus quarter turn pins that are supplied simply are not long enough to mate up with their Dzus speed nuts. It took a huge amount of effort to install and tighten down these Dzus pins. These pins and nuts are designed to quickly secure the side shields to the Panzer plate. Not very quick! Second, once the side shields are secured to the Panzer plate and the skid plate is secured with its five bolts, it's impossible to tighten two out of the four bolts that hold the black steel posts to the car's frame. The way the side shields are bent and configured, you can only get to the two rear bolts at an angle with a 17-mmm socket, and thus cannot tighten them down securely. I tried bending some of the aluminum to accommodate, but that didn't work.

So, after this 4-hour struggle, I gave up. Besides, if I could have installed these aluminum side shields properly then every time I needed to remove them to do engine work it would have required me to loosen those two steel posts bolts that cannot be reached easily. Not a very quick and convenient thing to do. Even with the dreaded star nuts, the plastic side shields are much easier and faster to remove and reinstall.

Am I complaining? No doubt, yes. I feel that I wasted $100, including shipping. And now that I've cut into the metal and pounded on it in the attempt to get things to fit, I cannot return them for a refund. Others can do what they want, but I cannot recommend Dieselgeek's FMJ Side Shields.

However, don't misunderstand, even though I have a complaint about this particular product. I have many Dieselgeek items on my Jetta TDI, including the Panzer plate, EGR cooler delete, 5-speed short shifter, and AMSOIL by-pass filter. All of these are great products, and over the last two years that I have owned my Jetta, Jim R. at Dieselgeek has been very helpful. But, I feel that the FMJ side shields are a dud.

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Metal side skirts

I am wondering the value of these ... I may not able to put any side skirts at all on my car because of the IC piping routing which is slightly different now..

You live in a colder climate but for us here in Kalifornia, I am not sure the value of side skirts, I do need to put a good skid plate on thought.

What are these skid plates good for anyway? Is it like an engine cover? Keeping mud and slush and road debris from entering in the engine bay from the sides? keeping the engine warm?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
tothemax said:
What are these skid plates good for anyway? Is it like an engine cover? Keeping mud and slush and road debris from entering in the engine bay from the sides? keeping the engine warm?
WOW! I'm a little surprised you don't know the answer to this already. Our cars are rather low to the ground. A rock, ice chunk, or other road debris could easily strike and damage the oil pan, spilling all your oil onto the roadway. Then you've got a real problem, my friend.

Whenever a newbie gets on Fred's TDI Club and asks what they should modify first on their TDI, the number one answer always is aluminum skid plate. I would encourage you to think about getting one for both of your cars.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
If you are using hollow, hard, plastic tubing then it's either fitted on the race or power pipe just before the intake manifold (assuming you have one, rather than EGR) or fitted somewhere along the upper intercooler piping if you do still use the EGR. My boost gauge actually uses a pressure transducer, which is in the threaded fitting on my Allard Power Pipe, rather than the tubing.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Something in my engine compartment is vibrating at 1800 - 2000 rpm while working the gears, and I cannot figure out what it is. Doesn't happen at 1850 rpm while cruising the highway.

It started after I installed PD150 Intake Manifold, Allard Power Pipe, and R32 lower air intake. The upper intercooler piping and OMI doesn't appear to be rubbing against anything. I'm stumped, and it drives me mad that I can't figure out where the vibration is coming from.

Last edited:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
rocketeer928 said:
Last night, I tried to install the Dieselgeek MKIV Aluminum "Full Metal Jacket" Engine Side Shields to go along with the DG Panzer Plate that I have on my Jetta TDI. After 4 hours of frustration, I gave up and stayed with the plastic side shields.

On the passenger side shield I had to cut away some of the metal so that it would fit around the intercooler tubing coming from the 17/22 hybrid turbo. I expected to have to make such modifications to the side shield, so that was not the issue.

The real issue with these aluminum side shields is twofold. First, the Dzus quarter turn pins that are supplied simply are not long enough to mate up with their Dzus speed nuts. It took a huge amount of effort to install and tighten down these Dzus pins. These pins and nuts are designed to quickly secure the side shields to the Panzer plate. Not very quick! Second, once the side shields are secured to the Panzer plate and the skid plate is secured with its five bolts, it's impossible to tighten two out of the four bolts that hold the black steel posts to the car's frame. The way the side shields are bent and configured, you can only get to the two rear bolts at an angle with a 17-mmm socket, and thus cannot tighten them down securely. I tried bending some of the aluminum to accommodate, but that didn't work.

So, after this 4-hour struggle, I gave up. Besides, if I could have installed these aluminum side shields properly then every time I needed to remove them to do engine work it would have required me to loosen those two steel posts bolts that cannot be reached easily. Not a very quick and convenient thing to do. Even with the dreaded star nuts, the plastic side shields are much easier and faster to remove and reinstall.

Am I complaining? No doubt, yes. I feel that I wasted $100, including shipping. And now that I've cut into the metal and pounded on it in the attempt to get things to fit, I cannot return them for a refund. Others can do what they want, but I cannot recommend Dieselgeek's FMJ Side Shields.

However, don't misunderstand, even though I have a complaint about this particular product. I have many Dieselgeek items on my Jetta TDI, including the Panzer plate, EGR cooler delete, 5-speed short shifter, and AMSOIL by-pass filter. All of these are great products, and over the last two years that I have owned my Jetta, Jim R. at Dieselgeek has been very helpful. But, I feel that the FMJ side shields are a dud.
Were you using a lift or ramps/stands to install the side skirts? The passenger side on the mk4 is especially tight to start with (stock), nevermind with custom IC piping. I would think your best shot would be to access it from a standing position as opposed to your backside (i.e. you would have a better shot at it).

IMHO, the FMJ is mostly bling anyhow, but since you already spent the cash, screwed with it for four hours, it gets down to a matter of wills ---- yours or the cars. Like everything else in life, the right amount of force will make everything fit. ;)

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, I know about skid plates.. .I meant to say side skirts... :p Alzheimer!!

rocketeer928 said:
WOW! I'm a little surprised you don't know the answer to this already. Our cars are rather low to the ground. A rock, ice chunk, or other road debris could easily strike and damage the oil pan, spilling all your oil onto the roadway. Then you've got a real problem, my friend.

Whenever a newbie gets on Fred's TDI Club and asks what they should modify first on their TDI, the number one answer always is aluminum skid plate.

P, I would encourage you to think about getting one for both of your cars.

lowl1f3

TDI
'03 tdi
can the noise be heard only under load or driving? or could your wife hold the throttle pedal at aprox. 1800rpm and duplicate it. i know it would be hard to hear that kind of rattle over the great sound of the diesel but it may work.
also, what about that shield on the back of the intake just below your race pipe. does your new pd intake allow for that shield to bolt up, if so, is it loose?
another thing i'd try is, while driving (assuming it only does it when driving/under load) try to isolate the noise by turning your head slightly and determine if it's front or rear and left or right.
does turning affect it?
wish i could be of more help, good luck.
and by the way, job well done on your car. i spent waaaay to much time reading all the posts and links attached to this thread. but enjoyed every minute of it. keep it up.

Last edited:

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Agricultural Strainer CCV

Hello rocketeer928,

I've enjoyed reading your thread the past couple of days. Great TDI you have.

I'm wondering how the CCV mod is working for you this winter. Any problems with icing or condensation?

This mod is something I'm considering.

Any info would be helpful.

TIA,
df