TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   1997 Passat Jumped Timing:What would you do? (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=321180)

DIESEL~ME June 14th, 2011 13:26

1997 Passat Jumped Timing:What would you do?

Hello community at large,

Our 97' Passat tdi jumped timing and is in need of an injector pump and a head rebuild. :(

I can have the work done right for approx. $2200. We bought the car for $2600 and last week I installed new bilsteins and mounts all around.

So, what would you do? Cut bait or pay the piper?

For what it's worth the interior is 9-10, exterior has minor surface rust confined to 2 doors (7-10)

rdkern June 14th, 2011 13:37

Please give further details.

Why an injection pump?

Head rebuild alone, done right, would be about $2.5K, iirc. Injector pump rebuilt about $850. How long would you like to own this car? My B4 gets 45 mpg on the highway in comfort - I'd get mine fixed. I don't know of another car I'd rather purchase that doesn't cost $3K in payments within 6 months.

DIESEL~ME June 14th, 2011 14:37

Hello,

The car is at Herm's shop in Richmond, ME. It appears that the pump is bad in addition to the jumped timing. He has a rebuilt Bosch unit in stock to replace it for around $700.

He sends the heads out to MO to Frank, he is on this forum, and estimates approx. $1000 for rebuild.

Then we have the cost of timing belt kit + labor to put it back together.

I agree, no other sedan returns such mileage with such room. I had a 96' sedan for 8 great years b4...still not sure why i ever sold it?!?

Others, please weigh in...what would you do??

rdkern June 14th, 2011 14:39

If Herm can do it for that price, get it done.

Do you mind sharing why did the timing jumped?

G60ING June 14th, 2011 15:42

How many miles?

If you do pull the trigger something you might want to consider is spending $300 more or so and re-ring it. The piston rings tend to have a lot of carbon build up. At least mine did at 180k miles.

DIESEL~ME June 14th, 2011 15:47

Timing belt was done 2/10/10 by some monkeys at a shop in Scarborough, ME

She was hard to start for the last week, but only in the morning..seemed to be a glow plug issue at the time.

Herm said he could literally slip his thumb between the belt and the pulley..almost no tension there at all:mad:

Car has 160k, and we do love it.

G60ING June 14th, 2011 16:04

What would you get for $2k-$4k to replace it? (figure you could still sell it for $1,000 as a parts car)

What other work will it need in the next 6 months to a year?

ninedee_golf_tdi June 14th, 2011 16:29

A new AMC after market head is about $750 so with gaskets/bolts/gadgets you're about about $900. I've installed many of them with absolutely no issues.

VWWV June 15th, 2011 05:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by G60ING (Post 3438427)
What would you get for $2k-$4k to replace it? (figure you could still sell it for $1,000 as a parts car) //SNIP//

Exactly. They aren't making them anymore and never will again. Do anything you can to keep it going, IMO.

oilhammer June 15th, 2011 05:51

Seems like Herm is doing you a favor fixing it for that much, I'd jump on it! Then you can motor on in a superior car for less than 1/4 the cost of the cheapest Kia you can buy! :D

Abacus June 15th, 2011 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIESEL~ME
The car is at Herm's shop in Richmond, ME. It appears that the pump is bad in addition to the jumped timing. He has a rebuilt Bosch unit in stock to replace it for around $700.

He sends the heads out to MO to Frank, he is on this forum, and estimates approx. $1000 for rebuild.

Then we have the cost of timing belt kit + labor to put it back together.

That is a good deal. The parts are top notch and Herm does good work, you won't go wrong. I think Herm said he uses DFIS for the pump rebuilds, and I know he doesn't cut corners on ANY parts or procedures.

Wow, I live in Nobleboro as well, on East Pond Road. I have seen a black B4 around, is it yours? Mine is the dark green one with the 16" wheels. It can't be the maroon one since I think they live in Waldoboro and have a greasecar kit installed, and Herm doesn't do greasecar kits.

http://hikerinmaine.smugmug.com/Cars...56_46QBp-S.jpg

I would have it rebuilt, and here is why.

You would be very hard pressed to find a car that gets 45-50 mpg and is comfortable to drive. The B4 is great in the snow, has a good history of longevity, and is relatively easy to work on (major mishaps like this notwithstanding). You would be especially hard pressed to find one for merely a few thousand dollars. I know, living in midcoast Maine, the term "merely" isn't often found in conjunction with "thousand dollars", but in the car realm, they are.

A regular car may also cost you a large amount of money to have repaired, and you know the history of yours, so after this repair is completed, what else would it need?

The B4 is a great car, some people hate them with a passion, but they really are nice once you know how they're put together (minus the heater core of course).

If you want to discuss anything further, please send me a PM or e-mail and we can get together for a local coffee.

DIESEL~ME June 15th, 2011 14:57

Thanks for all the responses. I am still not sure what to do:confused:

As it stands now she is for sale at Herm's shop. I am asking $2500

Link is here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=321279

Bilstein TC's front and rear were installed with new mounts 2 weeks ago. Car also has ecodes but is otherwise stock.

Fortunately I still have a Passat tdi of sorts as, unrelated to my
Passat's troubles, I bought this:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Di-New-England

kooyajerms June 15th, 2011 17:39

It was a good deal to repair the B4 with Herm. I concur with all the B4 lovers, it's a great vehicle. I've put more than double what I paid for into mine to bring it back to (more than) running condition.

But then again, that's one sexy golf swap. I can see why you weren't concerned with the fix!

Jetta SS June 15th, 2011 20:09

I would have fixed it. Thats a no brainer on a 160k mile TDI. Plus you know what you have. Getting another vehicle has always come with unknown problems for me.

DIESEL~ME June 20th, 2011 18:00

Bumping this thread as I'm moving on and want the B4 to go to a good home.

As stated in the for sale thread I am willing to offer the right person a sweet deal on this car of they agree to have Herm fix it.

Contact me directly for more info if you are SERIOUS.

Thanks