Symbol on clock display?

boyelectric

Veteran Member
So, this morning at 7:52am PST, on my clock display for my 2002 TDI Jetta Wagon (auto) there appeared a little "antenna" type symbol on the upper left part of the actual clock LCD (imbedded in the tach cluster). It looks like an antenna with 'radio waves' coming out and up. It was not animated, and it disappeared within about a minute of my noticing it. I looked around, but I could not find any info about this secret government tracking device... does anyone else have a clue?

Borborygmi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I would expect that from a clock that was receiving time from the atomic clock time signals, or else receiving orders from the secret order signals. I have never heard of either one. Good troll, though.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Could they have integrated the 37F/black ice warning icon into the LCD display?

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Now see what you've done... I am going to stare at my clock every few seconds for the next few weeks.
)

Big Brother is scanning our brains again. Until we can figure it out keep a tin-foil hat within reach.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Please let us know what you find out.

boyelectric

Veteran Member
I found another person on vortex who saw the symbol (coincidentally, on a 02 jetta tdi), but also associated it with a gibberish readout on the clock. I did not make this association this morning. I have, on occassion, had a momentary gibberish readout on my clock or on the odo display, but it goes away in a minute, and only seems to occur in cold weather when the car has just started up.

I like the reference to a possible ice warning. I will keep an eye on it and see when it happens again (if it happens again), what other factors are present. I did not find it in the manual, BTW.

Ooo... maybe I'll try to get a photo too, if I can keep my camera handy.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
If you're seeing this when the LCD ready is all funky, I wouldn't spend a bunch of time trying to figure out what it is - - it's most likely a problem with the display.

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
Even if displaying that icon was part of a malfunction, it was put there for some reason. The LCD only has the option of displaying characters that were built into it, right? Why would there be an antena icon put in the display if there was no potential functionality to it? Of course, if this display is built by some electronic display manufaturer, it might be used in several cars, and VW may not use that part of the display....

Maybe it is associated with a feature no one has in the US or they don't use any more - like power antena (the icon is displayed to indicate the antena is moving?)

Maybe it was a thermometer (like suggested) or a shifter - my Mazda is supposed to have a light to come on to tell you to upshift.

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
Only if they breathe well. I won't have a lead-lined thong that makes me uncomfortable!

Oh, wait...

...Read that again: "I won't have a lead-lined thong. That makes me uncomfortable!" Behold, the power of punctuation!

mario_renato

Veteran Member
read ELSA:

Dash panel insert - up to Model Year 1999
Radio clock
Note:

Aerial symbol at top left of clock display indicates that vehicle is fitted with radio clock.

Radio clock is integrated into dash panel insert and is not available as a separate replacement part.

‒ If radio clock is defective, dash panel insert must be replaced
=>Page 90-3.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Can you see this running the outout tests on the cluster? Is that what they do? I have been wanting to click that button for ssssoooooo long, but for all I knew it would make the car burst into flames or something.

-J

EECSentric

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL DSG LP
Neno, it isn't a photoshop (my guess) but rather it is the cluster being run through a diagnostic test. It is a function one can get to through VagCom.