Very handy fuel additive dispenser/container idea

Deception

Veteran Member
Do you hate figuring out how to dispense fuel additive from large mouth 2.98L containers into your fuel tank?

The other day I was at the supermarket picking up some groceries and I somehow came up with an idea for a new fuel additive dispenser idea. I used to use washed and dried Coke bottles to store fuel additive in the trunk (it's impossible to pour additive from a 2.98L jug of Power Service directly into the tank).

Since the Coke bottle had such a small opening it was a big pain in the rear and messy to use a small funnel to get the additive from the big jug into the Coke bottle.

So, I decided to pick up a Rubbermaid "Sipp 'n Sport" #3162 bottle. It has a leakproof, fold-down "straw" at the top for sipping beverages.

I bought one for a couple bucks, and just pulled out the plastic straw inside. The bottle holds 1 US quart (945 mL) of fluid and has a very large, jam jar style mouth. Just pour the additive from the big jug directly into the bottle -- no funnel, no mess.

I simply removed the label and wrote in big bold letters "FUEL ADDITIVE, do not drink" on the bottle, put it in a big plastic bag, with a few paper towels for opening/closing the top dispenser "strawlet", and put it in the cubby in my trunk.

Now storing additive in your car and dispensing it has never been easier!

AVE_ENG

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Atlantic Blue
Better check it often to make sure it's not breaking down from the powerservice.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
An interesting idea, and I hope it works well for you, but do be aware that diesel fuel and especially additives such as PowerService or biodiesel may attack the plastic. All plastics are not equal in this sort of application. Monitor the container closely for evidence of swelling, hazing, or other signs of degradation, lest you find the interior of your car stinking really badly one day.

hip

TDI
2001 GT 4.0 Road Bike
Along those same lines, you could use a glass-lined insulated coffee thermos container with the same kind of spigot thingy on the lid. You wouldn't need to worry about the plastic reacting with the additive and have the same convienience.

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Speaking of ideas, why not take the approach that "bigger is better"? Just an idea, but why not get a 5-gal fuel container, fill with your favorite diesel, and put your additive in there?. If you want 5 tank treatments, then add 5 "servings" of additive. Then, before you refuel just add a gallon from that container to your tank. It might just be easier to handle the larger container, than futzing around with a small bottle. Just for fun, you could even use biodiesel and have a nice conditioner/additive mix.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Also, check out WalMart or other stores that carry camping gear. They have aluminum camp stove fuel bottles, about 24 ounce capacity, with a gasketed lid. They are made to stand up to white gas and kerosene, so I'm pretty sure they'll hold up to diesel or additives. It'll cost you about $5. The ones I've seen are Coleman brand and are painted red.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I buy the small 16 oz. size PowerService at Pep Boys. I later save the empty 16 oz. bottle and use it to measure out 4-8 oz. of PowerService from a larger 32 oz. or 96 oz. bottle. The side of the 16 oz. bottle is clear and has the graduations to help measure out the right amount.

I know there's no issue with PS attacking the plastic since it's already intended for PS. I also don't carry the PS in the car. I simply add the PS when I get home after refueling.

I've found the best bottles for measuring/dispensing PowerService are....16 oz. size PowerService bottles!

~ n1das

jhedrich

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 TDI GLS Green
are we in the 21st century or not. Why can't Powerservice come up with a decent reusable spout and sell it as an extra?? We're never going to achieve warp drive at this rate!!!!

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
Deception: Good idea, but I'd be cautious about the plastic disintegrating with the additive. You should be using a container that can handle these chemicals. I use an old HDPE 2 container. It's under the recycle stamp on the bottom of the container or written in the middle of the recycle logo.

HTH,
Harry.

rossco

TDI
Nissan
Fuel additive dispenser

Hi, noticed the thread was a little old, but if you are looking for a fuel additive dispenser you should try an EZYPOR. Easy, clean and fast, made in 3 sizes so and should fit most fuel additive bottles.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

glass with metal lid, holds 3 "shots" plus is great marrinde on steak tips and chicken

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I use an old Lucas injector cleaner bottle ! It holds almost 6oz of powerservice and has the long skinny neck perfect for the tank.

maroonfrog1

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI S-Line 2011
Opti-Lube XPD dispenser

During the summer, I bought a gallon of Opti-Lube XPD from the manufacturer and it was shipped to me. Wasn't the cheapest shtuff in the world, but through this board I was impressed with the studies that have compared it to others. The gallon dispenser comes with a hand pumper top. They give you a fuel-approved clear plastic bottle that holds up to 12 oz of additive, and the day before I head out and know I need to re-fuel, I pump 7-8 oz of additive into the bottle. When re-fueling, I put the additive in first, so the fuel mixes with it as the tank fills.

Works like a champ. Can't tell you how many people see me doing that at the pump here in Texas, and they ask: (1) How do you like your diesel? and (2) why do you add additive? My answer is always the same for both ... "longevity" ... I hope to be driving my A3 in 2031!

Grievous Angel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (traded after Diesel-Gate)
During the summer, I bought a gallon of Opti-Lube XPD <snip> They give you a fuel-approved clear plastic bottle that holds up to 12 oz of additive
Unless you got a different bottle, that little clear bottle is officially an 8 oz bottle. Or I've been putting in too much additive.

I measured it in the interim bottle they gave you (the one with the measurement marks on the side). Additionally, that "pump" is approximately one ounce per pump, and it only takes about 8 pumps to fill up my dispenser bottle.

Edited to add quote from their site:

XPD Diesel Fuel Improver--1 Gallon (128 ounces)
Includes Dispensing Pump, 16oz Graduated Dispensing Bottle, 8oz Dispensing Bottle
(Treats up to 500 gallons of diesel fuel) more info
Not trying to rub your nose in it, but if you fill that dispenser thinking it's 12 ounces and then "eyeball it" like I do you may be putting in less than you think. I've got it down to about 3-4/oz per fill up--so about half the bottle.

Last edited:

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Holy thread from the past!

I leave the whole big jug in the trunk using the webbing to hold it up.

I dump in too much and say, that ought to do it, then motor on.

Dertaxman

TDI
None
I bought two 4 oz Nalgene bottles from REI for $1.70 each then a small Sterilite clip box (model 1969) that holds the two bottles perfectly. I can put it in the small compartment in my trunk with the bottles upright. Nice wide neck to put the sauce in from the bigger container and a easy, quick dump into the tank...

Last edited:

nickeasy

TDI
Build date 2-11, 2011 Golf 6M 2D TDI
Hi, noticed the thread was a little old, but if you are looking for a fuel additive dispenser you should try an EZYPOR. Easy, clean and fast, made in 3 sizes so and should fit most fuel additive bottles.

In USA : http://www.ezyporusa.com/

I'm thinking of trying this out, but none will fit Power Service 16oz and up bottles. It looks as if the 28 mm size will fit the XPD 32oz.

Jprieur

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
http://www.freundcontainer.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3319B01_A_cn_E_36

Get the barrier lined version. I bought 6 of the 8 oz variety and I keep them in the trunk. The HDPE is compatible with the chemicals and the barrier lining keep the odor within the container. I tried various other containers and bottles but eventually the strong fuel like odor would emanate - especially during the hot months.

Hands down best bottle you can get if you wish to store this stuff in your tank.

maroonfrog1

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI S-Line 2011
Tide rolls over Aggie

Unless you got a different bottle, that little clear bottle is officially an 8 oz bottle. Or I've been putting in too much additive.

I measured it in the interim bottle they gave you (the one with the measurement marks on the side). Additionally, that "pump" is approximately one ounce per pump, and it only takes about 8 pumps to fill up my dispenser bottle.

Edited to add quote from their site:

Not trying to rub your nose in it, but if you fill that dispenser thinking it's 12 ounces and then "eyeball it" like I do you may be putting in less than you think. I've got it down to about 3-4/oz per fill up--so about half the bottle.
You're right. I eyeball my XPD dose (approx. 70% full in the EIGHT ounce bottle I said was 12) -- so I suppose I've been putting in 5 or 6 oz. in my A3's tank. Thanks for the clarification. This has me thinking: does the engine treat the additive the way my body treats excess vitamin C -- the excess goes out the waste plumbing?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
You're right. I eyeball my XPD dose (approx. 70% full in the EIGHT ounce bottle I said was 12) -- so I suppose I've been putting in 5 or 6 oz. in my A3's tank. Thanks for the clarification. This has me thinking: does the engine treat the additive the way my body treats excess vitamin C -- the excess goes out the waste plumbing?

No one knows how these additives will affect the VW CR engines. We just don't have enough accumulated miles to know.

DPF issues aren't happening yet, except for the random defective one.

Grievous Angel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (traded after Diesel-Gate)
If you've been thinking the bottle held more, you've been putting in less than you thought, not more. In your mind, half of your bottle was 6 ounces when in fact it was only 4.

I would be more worried about your HPFP at this point being additive starved :D, than your DPF being polluted.

I kid, of course.

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
Also, check out WalMart or other stores that carry camping gear. They have aluminum camp stove fuel bottles, about 24 ounce capacity, with a gasketed lid. They are made to stand up to white gas and kerosene, so I'm pretty sure they'll hold up to diesel or additives. It'll cost you about $5. The ones I've seen are Coleman brand and are painted red.

+ 1 been using them for years

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Gee..I've just been re-using the 12 Stanadyne Perf. Form. bottles...as long as the silly foil "seal" (which doesn't!) doesn't fall into the tank...

Weird...pouring OptiLube into the tank, while I'm advertising for stanadyne...