Success! - ALLTRACK Springs on Mk7 Sportwagen TDI = 2" Lift!

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Finally got the first set of AllTrack Springs in and was excited to test them on fellow member, btcost, 2015 Sportwagen SEL DSG. His wagon is usually loaded up with a few hundred pounds of equipment and drives through bad roads in the city every day. He had his '12 Sportwagen lifted with springs so was excited to get the '15 done.

The front suspension design between the AllTrack and GSW are identical, however, the AllTrack has IRS vs the beam of the GSW TDI. The springs are physically nearly identical in width and bottom coil but use a thicker metal and a longer overall length.

While they were comparable we were still somewhat worried we'd run into something during the installation. Thankfully the springs fit perfectly and the job was extremely easy.

Installation Instructions:
  1. Put Rear of Vehicle on Jack Stands
  2. Remove Rear Wheels
  3. Put Jack Underneath the Swing Arm at the Rear Shock
  4. REMOVE REAR BRAKE LINE & ABS Harness from Clips on the body- important otherwise you will over-stretch these during the job.
  5. Remove Rear Shock Bottom Bolt
  6. Allow Axle to Swing Down Slowly by Releasing Jack

You'll have to remove both left and right side rear shock bottom bolt to get the axle to swing down far enough. Put both springs in and then, one side at a time, use the jack to push the axle back up and re-install the rear shock bottom bolt.

Before ride height (with ~200 lbs of cargo in hatch):

After ride height (with ~200 lbs of cargo in hatch):

Pretty spot-on 2" increase in ride height!

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I love this forum. Everyone on the non-TDI MK7 forums is trying to go lower. Here, they're trying to go higher! :p

Thanks for posting the results. Good info for those who want to go higher.

Demo3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
So... is this 2" increase for just the back or did you install a complete set of 4, what about an unloaded height increase?

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Very nice to hear, gives me hope my DriverGear springs meant for IRS will work just fine (they share the same upper/lower cushion part numbers). Still haven't had time to test fit!

grmaster1

TDI
2015 VW GSW
Interesting!

What kind of wheels/tires are you running on now? A different set in the future?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
not that it matters but the Alltrack has 55mm strut diameter (same as golf R), golf sportwagen 4mo has 50mm (same as GIT).

Not sure if that affects the front springs, prob not.

Also there should be a slew of Alltrack springs forsale, I've seen quite a few alltracks slide in Golf R springs (with TT rear pads). I'm sure if you cruise vortex or the mk7 sportwagen/alltrack facebook group and ask, people will practically give these away.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Also there should be a slew of Alltrack springs forsale, I've seen quite a few alltracks slide in Golf R springs (with TT rear pads). I'm sure if you cruise vortex or the mk7 sportwagen/alltrack facebook group and ask, people will practically give these away.
There are also 2018 Tiguan owners who have switched to GTI springs and shocks to lower the ride height. Since they are all MQB vehicles, Tiguan parts would also be an option for raising a Sportwagen. These might also be available cheap on the Vortex.

Have Fun!

Don

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd be interested in seeing if the tiggy springs are also a cheap lift option for the Alltrack.

I'd do .5-.75 at most.

MQB is a great thing.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Cool. I wonder what the FE penalty is with 2" of lift. Probably not so bad if it's just the back that's lifted.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Overall photos of the completed project and information on the front would be helpful as I am very interested in replacing the springs on my 2015 Golf TDI wagon later this summer.

Demo3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
I thought this was a little expensive.

Hi Robert

Labor to install those springs would be $750.00. I'd also highly recommend an alignment after installing them, as changing ride height would change the alignment, which would run an additional $100.00.

Keep in mind that by changing the ride height, you're going outside of the manufacturers spec, and it might not be possible to get the alignment 100%. Our shop would get it as close as possible, but sometimes additional parts are necessary to get it perfect.

For all 4 springs.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Hi Robert

Labor to install those springs would be $750.00. I'd also highly recommend an alignment after installing them, as changing ride height would change the alignment, which would run an additional $100.00.

Keep in mind that by changing the ride height, you're going outside of the manufacturers spec, and it might not be possible to get the alignment 100%. Our shop would get it as close as possible, but sometimes additional parts are necessary to get it perfect.

Thanks! - Ben
Is that all 4 springs or just rear? If all 4, I don't think its that outta this world price. I'm sure you could find it cheaper. I saw a facebook live stream of a guy do a front spring change out in 15 min on a GTI on a dare.

If it was just the rear, I wouldn't even respond.

I still love how there are ZERO pictures of the rear springs installed except a fender shot, WTH??? Lets see the rake!!!

Last edited:

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Corey, any more photos or information the front? Overall photos, including the under the car, and summary of the front lift & alignment result would sure be helpful.

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen

Hi Robert

For all 4 springs.
LABOR to install spring? It's a 30min job that pretty much anybody can do.
Please leave your man card at the exit.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

30 min job to R/R two front struts, change out springs, then go back to do the rears?

30 min for rears only if you have the car on the lift sure.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Dream on. It may be a quick job if you have the right equipment and lots of experience. It is not so quick and easy if you are working in your driveway with limited tools and experience. I once spent almost an entire day replacing springs and shocks on a car. I had to do it in my driveway which was not even level. I had to do one wheel at a time so I could keep chocks under the other three. It cost me 2 13mm Craftsman sockets (a bolt that did not want to come loose), many sore muscles, and several bloody knuckles. A 30 minute job - HA - funny joke.

Also, you can feel free to leave your insults at the exit.

Have Fun!

Don

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Agreed, the rears are tough to get compressors on with the DEF tank in the way. The fronts take time too with how heavy the knuckle is. It took me almost a full day (working leisurely) to do springs the first time, then maybe only a few hours to go back and change shocks when I wasn't happy with the ride with just VWR springs on stock shocks.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Agreed, the rears are tough to get compressors on with the DEF tank in the way. The fronts take time too with how heavy the knuckle is. It took me almost a full day (working leisurely) to do springs the first time, then maybe only a few hours to go back and change shocks when I wasn't happy with the ride with just VWR springs on stock shocks.
What shocks did you go with? I put VWRs on my GTI and am very unhappy with the ride with stock dampers. Rides like a Radio Flyer.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
What shocks did you go with? I put VWRs on my GTI and am very unhappy with the ride with stock dampers. Rides like a Radio Flyer.
Bilstein B8s, very stiff ride which is why I picked up driver gear springs to see if they'll fit, and raise/soften the ride a little. Bilstein B6 would be a softer shock as well.

hause

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
MK4 Golf Tdi... all souped up also a MK7 Sportwagen on its way to greatness
What helper air bags will fit these springs? I can't find any that are showing to fit Alltrack springs witch is I'm guessing that's what I need?