Heated seats switch repair

rattlenbang

TDI
2004 wagon
So I had a dead passenger seat heater so I swapped the driver's seat switch over and it worked so it definitely was the switch. But when I returned the switch to the driver's seat, it wasn't working. Checked all voltages and they are okay, so the simple act of moving it around, plugging and unplugging fried it.

Lots of used around, but with the same hours as mine, or more, don't want to go that route. Not exactly cheap new, either. So I decided to take the switch apart to see what was what - they just pop apart - And think I might have figured out what the problem is. Unlike how most people think these work, they operate by an oscillator with a variable pulse width. Depending on the control setting and the thermistor feedback, the width of the pulse and therefore energy fed into the heating coils is adjusted. Higher control setting and colder thermistor gives greater pulse width and more heat, lower the control, less pulse width, less heat. Leave it to VW to make it complicated.

Now in most circuits the output control carries most of the load, gets hottest and breaks down the quickest. The output control is a MOSFET power switch 6133D. There's no output at all from that component. FYI MOSFETS are very sensitive to static and such, which is likely why mine popped plugging and unplugging it.

It's possible that another part of the circuit is fried, but I'd be willing to bet that this 6133D is toast. They're dirt cheap, just a couple of bucks and if this is the fix, you should be starting with equivalent to a new switch. I've got two on order that should come in in a few days. They are easy to replace with a small soldering iron even though it's a surface mount component, because it's so big. Only 4 leads.

I'll update this when I confirm. Here's hoping.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I've had a switch fail and replaced with used, but I'm interested to see your results for the next time one fails. I'd rather fix it for two dollars instead of thirty.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Pretty simple. Replace the switch and don't overthink this stuff.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The Mosfets are availale from Newegg/Sayal etc. Only three legs to solder/unsolder. I have fixed them this way with good results in the past. The newer versions of the switch have entirely different circuitry and are non-repairable.

rattlenbang

TDI
2004 wagon
Pretty simple. Replace the switch and don't overthink this stuff.
I know the philosophy these days is to toss and replace, but not everyone thinks like that. I prefer to fix when I can and keep crap out of landfills. And the $60 bucks in my pocket. It's like a 5 minute fix, if this works. Hell, a guy could have a nice side business on ebay repairing these things for people. Remember that a used one will be just as old and as likely to fail as the one you replace it with.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I too replaced my passenger side switch with a used one, but it only works on 5.
1J0 963 564 F is the part number. Is this the same as what the OP is trying to repair.
If so, I'm glad I kept the old switch. I'm pretty sure mine is the "new style."

loewenwolf

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon - Manual Trans
For what it's worth I ended up just putting a used driver side seat switch in the passenger side and changed the covers (had to cut out a tiny notch on the inside of the little plastic cover to make it fit) and now it's working.

I could only find these MOSFETs on AliExpress, and it would take 2 months (sometimes never) to arrive. So opted for a working used part and I'm all good!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
As an aside...for you gals and guys hovering near your heated seat switches with a soldering iron... this is my "gotta have it" mod I do for all my VWs:

Specifically: wiring a yellow LED that goes on until the seat comes up to the set temperature.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Specifically: wiring a yellow LED that goes on until the seat comes up to the set temperature.
During road trips, my wife and I enjoy playing a game with each other. We switch on the others heated seat when they aren’t looking (mid summer of course) and see how long it takes for them to notice. This mod would ruin all of that.