Timing belt change interval

pdh

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2014 BMW 328d, X Drive
I have a 2011 Jetta TDI (manual) coming up on the routine 120,000 mile service. The VW service schedule recommends a TB change @ 130k. Has anyone had issues waiting 'til 130k? Or should I just go ahead & proactively change the TB @ 120K? Any thoughts or opinions?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I vote for 130k miles. And have a tdi guru do it, not the dealership! Dealerships are known to use the the "mark and pray" method, not the correct way.

torrimac

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sedan DSG
It says to do it at 120k miles right in the manual. I feel that I am pretty handy with DIY stuff, but I think when I get to 120k miles I will find a Guru to do mine. I just don't trust myself.

EDIT: I stand corrected, It does say 130k. Man, I've been sure that every one had been saying 120k all over these forums.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/516/2011_All.pdf

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
we really need to pay attention to the cars listed and under discussion.

there are so many changes over the many years these TDIs make us smile.

wait till next year,

I heard a rumor that the new EA288 engine family has a lifetime timing belt. (as well as the one bathed in oil that runs the oil pump.)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The oil pump belt/chain is not a timing belt, and being probably metal and bathed in oil it is probably considered lifetime. A completely different animal than a timing belt.

The rule of thumb for T/B's is follow the maintenance schedule although there are are folks that have got close to twice the recommended interval on timing belts before failure. Going the full 130k miles should not be any kind of problem.

130K for the change interval is recommended because VW knows at that mileage there is close to 100% chance you will never experience a timing failure due to worn out parts.

As far as the EA288 is concern, we will have to figure out what they mean as far as lifetime as far as the T/B is concerned. my tranny oil is considered lifetime, but it will always be changed at 100K miles.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
from the self-Study program 820433 (page 12)

Oil and Vacuum Pumps
The oil pump and a vacuum pump are combined in a
housing on the bottom of the cylinder block. These pumps
share a common drive shaft. This drive shaft is driven by
the crankshaft using a toothed belt. The maintenance-free
toothed belt runs directly in the oil.
"toothed belt" is the identical verbiage they use on page 7 to discuss what we all know and love as the timing belt.

my only reason to bring this up here at all is that it seems like the stuff they are making timing belts out of is getting much better and longer lasting.

( I really have not seen any specific literature from VW on the interval for timing belt replacement on the new engines)

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Pretty sure 120 was the recommendation at one point. Hard to argue with the manual though. It's likely good for 150 if you drive enough. I'm doing mine at 120 regardless because my investment is critical and I have a famous guru doing mine properly with the best parts at a reasonable price. :cool: It comes with many parts and services like water pumps and coolant flushing, tensioners and belts one simply wants zero issues with. If the car gives me that for 120k miles, she deserves a thousand bucks to do it again. ;)

navyfc97

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I just changed mine on Friday at 115k due to a long trip coming up shortly and not wanting to take any chances while traveling with young kids. I ordered the kit off of ID Parts along with the special tools required to do the job. It is a time consuming process but better to take your time, follow the procedure, and double check all timing and torque specs prior to buttoning it up. As for the wear on Timing Belt, Serp Belt, Water Pump, Rollers, and Belt Tensioner they were all in great condition and could have easily made it to 130K and beyond.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
The original W/pump in mine had a plastic impellar

The replacement was a Geba metal impellar w/pump