Kayak rack attachments that can be used with VW OEM base rack carrier bars

Brianth

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I just bought a set of VW OEM base rack carrier bars (#1K0071126) and am curious which kayak racks users have tried with these bars. I would ideally like to be able to carry two kayaks, which makes VW's kayak holder look like a no-go.

I've tried searching and found lots of posts about racks, but I'm not seeing much about mixing the OEM rack with Thule, Yakima, etc. kayak attachments. Thanks for any advice!

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
I don't have the VW OEM cross bars because I thought they and others were just too expensive. I bought generic bars (from Foryar) on Ebay for $79 that fit perfectly, they lock, they're black to match the VW existing bars, and they allow the sunroof to open and close perfectly.

But to partially answer your question, we have a 13' tandem kayak and use the swimming pool noodles as mounting pads. I just bought one noodle at Walmart and cut four pieces; then cut those horizontally so they slip right over the cross bars, making perfect pads for the kayak.

I realize your needs to carry two kayaks might require actual racks but I thought I would offer up our solution since it's so simple and cheap and also, someone else might appreciate this method.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I went with a Yakima set up including the BigStacks and the Showboat. Showboat is a extenable and moveable roller system to make loading and unloading easier and mostly a one person job.

http://www.yakima.com/shop/water/roof

Brianth

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Thanks for the replies. I love the idea of a kayak rack on the cheap, but I bought the rack specifically to get a friend of mine out on the water. I'll look into the Yakima setup. Thanks again!.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
I just bought these for my JSW to haul our tandem kayak.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009I456NU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No, they're not the best but they work fine and do the job for under $80. The crossbars are longer than they need to be but a few minutes with my hacksaw and they are just right now. The little rubber end caps come off allowing you to cut the bar. Put the caps back on and it's good as new.

Before cutting the crossbars.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I just use my tow loop. Get's the tie down out away from the hood.