Would this be a great battery for a 2011 JSW DSG TDI? Thoughts!

akafirestorm

TDI
JSW 2011
My battery is going into the fourth year and doing some research on a replacement. I know by reading on the forum that a lot of you like the Dealership battery but I don't like that it's only two year free exchange and the cost I was quoted for out the door battery and install is $184. I'd like to have the most modern battery available which is an AGM.

I found this at Batteries Plus SLI48AGM Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM Battery. It has a 48 month free replacement at $151.99. Duracell is made by Dekka-East Penn in PA. so I know it's made by a great company!

So what do you think? Oh and I have never done it but is it easy for a computer techie who is not a car techie to switch out the battery?

One last thing I know there are some that say, go to Walmart! Sorry won't buy crap from a crap retailer!!

Tuco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
So you live in a hot climate, and your OEM battery is on year 4, and the problem is.....?

When my 2010 battery finally gives up the ghost, I'll be replacing it with OEM, and I don't really care if it costs a little more. Call me completely satisfied.

GearheadzTV

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 JSW DSG
Wow, pretty good if it lasted 4 yrs...I've never had a battery last more than 3 yrs with this S. fl heat. I changed it to an Optima Red top gel that I purchased at Napa. It has a 3 yr replacement warranty and the clerk told me to just bring it back with the receipt before the 3 yrs and they will replace it because they don't have a way to test it...they just swap it out. So it seems like this May be the last battery I have to buy for the jsw if that really works out. I did have to replace it once already after the wife left the lights on all night and drained it, they said they couldn't charge it and to grab another one. Go figure...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
AGM batteries have some differences from regular lead-acid batteries. For one thing they are more sensitive to over charging. It is not always a good thing to put an AGM battery into a charging system designed for "flood" type batteries. You need to consider all of the advantages and disadvantages before spending money on an expensive battery.
Here is some reading for you: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

Wow, pretty good if it lasted 4 yrs...I've never had a battery last more than 3 yrs with this S. fl heat.
I agree, I feel really lucky that my OEM battery lasted 3.5 years here in the middle of a desert.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. My dealer charged me $120 for a new battery and I installed it myself in about 15 minutes. I believe that VW now does a 3 year warranty (I could be wrong about this).

GearheadzTV

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 JSW DSG
AGM batteries have some differences from regular lead-acid batteries. For one thing they are more sensitive to over charging. It is not always a good thing to put an AGM battery into a charging system designed for "flood" type batteries. You need to consider all of the advantages and disadvantages before spending money on an expensive battery.
Here is some reading for you: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

I agree, I feel really lucky that my OEM battery lasted 3.5 years here in the middle of a desert.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. My dealer charged me $120 for a new battery and I installed it myself in about 15 minutes. I believe that VW now does a 3 year warranty (I could be wrong about this).
Thanks for the read & pardon my ignorance. I didn't know there was any disadvantages to using a gel battery, I didn't even know what a flooded system was till now...Lol...but at least I didn't spend more money on it. I first asked my dealer for a quote, then checked Sears where I usually buy from. Finally I found the Optima for sale at Napa for about the same price as the Sears unit and less than dealer so I thought I scored. Oh well.
Other than maybe having to use the batteries warranty could it cause any damage to my cars electronics? ...wondering cus apparently they changed my alternator the other day along with my starter.

Thanks again

Last edited:

tadurkee

Veteran Member
TDI
none (formerly 2010 JSW DSG)
Over 4 years and 338,000 miles later and still have the original battery. When (if?) it ever needs to be replaced I'll stick with OEM.

akafirestorm

TDI
JSW 2011
Thank you all for your responses!!!

So you live in a hot climate, and your OEM battery is on year 4, and the problem is.....?
When my 2010 battery finally gives up the ghost, I'll be replacing it with OEM, and I don't really care if it costs a little more. Call me completely satisfied.
Oh I have no problem believe me:) but I did forget to say I was in Texas for the first three years and this last year in 40 below zero Chicago and next I'll be on the Virginia coastline! I just thought if a better battery is out there I'm not afraid to try new technologies and the price is pretty equal.

Have Fun!
Don
Thank you for the link and I agree with doing my homework. Hence talking with all you veteran VW TDI owners gaining your insights!
Very thankful for everyone's responses! They all are very helpful!!!!:)

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
I had an Optima Red Top that lasted from '93 to 2013 in my 300ZX and it was still going strong when I replaced it. (I thought it was bad; turned out to be the alternator.) I wasn't disappointed as I figured the battery was about due anyway.

Point is, I wouldn't worry about spending a little extra if it saves you headaches over time. For the money, I think I might stay with the OEM when it's time.

tom28

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
Over 4 years and 338,000 miles later and still have the original battery. When (if?) it ever needs to be replaced I'll stick with OEM.
Parents have a 2001 Civic with 138k on it with the original battery!

Dad babies that thing. I think he wants to get another 10 years out of it.

MertCheney

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Interstate makes a very good HD battery for the TDI that fits perfectly MTP 48/H6. and has a 6 year warranty. I paid $135.00.

Mert Cheney

Last edited:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Any battery made to VW DIESEL battery specifications would be good. The issue is not many battery vendors make (VW specification) FOR diesel batteries. The operative realities are diesels place much greater demands on the battery than gassers. When you combine that with 24/7 current draw, environmental conditions, drivers habits, custom current draw, etc., etc. , batteries made for gassers are simply not up to the specifications.

I got the VW oem p/n replacement @ the local VW dealer for $126.00. (installed, labor waived, DIY is VERY straight forward). The old one (OEM) lasted app 5 + years and 79,000 miles.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If you need a battery, go to the VW parts counter, give them your VIN and have them look up the correct battery for your TDI. Replace it yourself and you are done for less than the questionable alternatives.

Battery replacement is pretty simple, no need to pay an overpriced dealer to replace it.

Who really cares about a stupid warranty anyway? Just buy a quality part. Warranty's are a marketing tool used by places that sell sub standard part such as AutoZone.

AutoZone knows you will eventually get tired of warrantying their sub standard Chinese parts and just go away.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Who really cares about a stupid warranty anyway? Just buy a quality part. Warranty's are a marketing tool used by places that sell sub standard part such as AutoZone.

AutoZone knows you will eventually get tired of warrantying their sub standard Chinese parts and just go away.
I once got a chance to speak with a high ranking exec at Sears (many years ago) and I asked him about their "Die Hard" batteries. I asked if they were really that much better than other batteries. Hi reply was that a Die Hard is a top quality battery, but no better than any other top quality battery. When I asked about the warranty he said: "We have done the research - we know that 86% of all Die Hard purchasers will lose their warranty card before the battery fails, and we can easily afford to replace 14% of the batteries we sell for free". He recommended buying a Die Hard (or any other top quality battery) and then putting the warranty card into a zip lock bag and taping it directly to the side of the battery, so it will be there when the battery fails.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
So then the follow up questions: what is the correct Sears Diehard P/N for a VW specific battery? Another would be does it beat the dealers OTC price/s (with preferred customer discount)? Another would be how much better than 60 months (VW OEM) warranty? Does the prorate beat it also?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So then the follow up questions: what is the correct Sears Diehard P/N for a VW specific battery? Another would be does it beat the dealers OTC price/s (with preferred customer discount)? Another would be how much better than 60 months (VW OEM) warranty? Does the prorate beat it also?
I do not know if they even have a battery that is spec'd for our cars. I was just pointing an important point about battery warranties. I bought an OEM battery for my car after a "recommended replacement" battery (from Sams/Walmart) failed after only a few months. It is now on a battery "keeper" in the garage until the battery dies on my wife's gasser. My recommendation has always been to use an OEM battery from the dealer. See post #5 above.

Have Fun!

Don

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I do not know if they even have a battery that is spec'd for our cars. I was just pointing an important point about battery warranties. I bought an OEM battery for my car after a "recommended replacement" battery (from Sams/Walmart) failed after only a few months. It is now on a battery "keeper" in the garage until the battery dies on my wife's gasser. My recommendation has always been to use an OEM battery from the dealer. See post #5 above.

Have Fun!

Don
Why would you doubt that when the oem gives it a P/N that corresponds with (opaque) specifications? If what you are implying is true then ANY battery will work and last app 4/5 years!

I don't always recommend nor do I always get an oem battery. However in msg #15, I posted what I actually did. The last VW oem battery I bought OTC, was given a prorate (-24), as was the VW oem battery before (-38). Both had 60 month warranty periods. The MK5 battery that I recently bought to replace an oem battery now has the prorate.

So yes, keep the warranty paperwork, especially if one reason why one bought one battery over another was FOR the warranty prorate.

Last edited:

BMLO13

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagon
Funny no one has mentioned CCA. When my '10 JSW started to crank slow on sub zero mornings this past winter I replaced with the highest CCA I could find in the battery group. I have had great luck with Decka batteries and that is what Napa sells. I really have no interest in waiting for a battery to fail, when it shows signs of failing I replace.

Tuco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Funny no one has mentioned CCA. When my '10 JSW started to crank slow on sub zero mornings this past winter I replaced with the highest CCA I could find in the battery group. I have had great luck with Decka batteries and that is what Napa sells. I really have no interest in waiting for a battery to fail, when it shows signs of failing I replace.
Sometimes they fail without warning. The OEM battery in my 2005 Corolla (bought new) lasted all of 2 years and 3 months. It gave no hint of slow cranking, but one afternoon at lunch it left me stranded. Thankfully I had AAA.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Sometimes they fail without warning. The OEM battery in my 2005 Corolla (bought new) lasted all of 2 years and 3 months. It gave no hint of slow cranking, but one afternoon at lunch it left me stranded. Thankfully I had AAA.
It has been my experience as well with most newer batteries, that there is no more slow cranking, they just quit working from one start to the next. I simply replace my battery every five to six years regardless, as many times I cannot afford a battery failure..
To stay on the topic of this thread, I have been using AGM batteries in most vehicles to date with very good success. I very much like the fact that there is no corrosion to deal with at all.

akafirestorm

TDI
JSW 2011
If you need a battery, go to the VW parts counter, give them your VIN and have them look up the correct battery for your TDI. Replace it yourself and you are done for less than the questionable alternatives.
Battery replacement is pretty simple, no need to pay an overpriced dealer to replace it.
I did go to the parts dept. and gave them my VIN. and the two VWs near where I am right now in Northwest Indiana quoted me $147 no offer of discounts. So I pay $147 do it myself. If they offered $125 or even $135 I'd say good deal but they didn't. Hence one of the reasons why I'm looking at all the alternatives.

Yes I agree I have been in the Chicago area this last year and my OEM battery did the job but when it hit in the 40 belows my TDI took about 5 tries to get it running. So to me yes CCA is important as well as CA. I also like Deka which is east penn and that is who makes the Duracell Platinum and the CCA is 760! I also saw that Autocraft has a great battery with a CCA 760 and a CA 950 which is a AGM dual purpose deep cycle/starting for $145 after discounts but I think johnson controls makes them not sure could be wrong!

Interstate makes a very good HD battery for the TDI that fits perfectly MTP 48/H6. and has a 6 year warranty. I paid $135.00.
Mert Cheney
Oh I didn't even think of Interstate!! My dad before he passed was always a fan of Interstate Battery! I don't believe I remember a time he used anything else. Maybe DieHard back 20 years ago when Diehards were quality. I should look into them the distribution center is right down the road from me! Thanks!!

Everyone is giving such great input!! Thanks to all of you!!!

Last edited:

cwescapexlt4x4

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (previous 2011 JSW TDI)
My battery experience completely changed upon moving to the desert from the PNWet

Batteries here 2-4 years and my experience have been on the lower side with the VW and KIA oem batteries. On my 2011 JSW we have since replaced, the battery lasted *just* outside of the VW OEM warranty and I replaced with the "top" fitting battery at WalMart (to me the warranty is important and you can't go very far in the SW without a WallyWorld around to cover the warranty). If I was in the PNW my battery choice may stay the same or I may be looking at more options. The "warning" we got on our VW was the info for the mileage and such, zero'd out the day before the battery crapped out.

akafirestorm

TDI
JSW 2011
Made a decision! Thanks to everyones input!!!!!!

I had an informative call from the Highland VW service manager this morning. He was originally calling to ask me how my JSW was doing after they replaced the compressor and some other services they did for me. I asked about the battery and possibly replacing it with a different brand. He said as long as it meets or exceeds the CA and power needs to handle a TDI he didn't see any real issue with using a different company but he warned it has to meet the needs of a TDI engine just as others have said here or it will fry the battery tute sweet if not even start the TDI.

He told me with the experience he has seen with people using the OEM replacement and different batteries he agreed with most of you guys on the forum. That the OEM replacement is heavy duty and really good quality. He also said the VW replacement batteries are from Interstate Batteries in his shop. I asked him again to repeat that and he reaffirmed that his VW OEM replacement batteries are Interstate made batteries. Which we know are made by Johnson Controls.

I'm not sure if it's really true but I have no reason to think it's not true. He spoke about them and who makes them before we even really talked different brands. He also told me his parts department has them for $126 which affirms that TeamVW is a rip off dealer and everyone here is right on the money what it should cost :D.

So for me my father used Interstate batteries which have always been solid batteries and with the majority here really liking the VW OEM replacement and the AGM batteries to me are still fairly new on the mainstream market I'll purchase the Replacement VW OEM and in 4 or 5 years revisit this question again. :)

Thanks to everyone who posted!! It was a very informative and worthwhile discussion. I learned a lot from everyones posts as always the TDIClub never fails in having great forum conversations!!! :D

Peace Out!!!

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had an informative call from the Highland VW service manager this morning. He was originally calling to ask me how my JSW was doing after they replaced the compressor and some other services they did for me. I asked about the battery and possibly replacing it with a different brand. He said as long as it meets or exceeds the CA and power needs to handle a TDI he didn't see any real issue with using a different company but he warned it has to meet the needs of a TDI engine just as others have said here or it will fry the battery tute sweet if not even start the TDI.
He told me with the experience he has seen with people using the OEM replacement and different batteries he agreed with most of you guys on the forum. That the OEM replacement is heavy duty and really good quality. He also said the VW replacement batteries are from Interstate Batteries in his shop. I asked him again to repeat that and he reaffirmed that his VW OEM replacement batteries are Interstate made batteries. Which we know are made by Johnson Controls.
I'm not sure if it's really true but I have no reason to think it's not true. He spoke about them and who makes them before we even really talked different brands. He also told me his parts department has them for $126 which affirms that TeamVW is a rip off dealer and everyone here is right on the money what it should cost :D.
So for me my father used Interstate batteries which have always been solid batteries and with the majority here really liking the VW OEM replacement and the AGM batteries to me are still fairly new on the mainstream market I'll purchase the Replacement VW OEM and in 4 or 5 years revisit this question again. :)
Thanks to everyone who posted!! It was a very informative and worthwhile discussion. I learned a lot from everyones posts as always the TDIClub never fails in having great forum conversations!!! :D
Peace Out!!!
To my mind, there are two additional issues with the VW dealer selling the Interstate Brand, it is voluntary, and as such, they really want as few and % coming back "before its' time". It also is another no brainer for them to make sure the correct specification battery ends up on the diesel applications.

Thommy D

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I got 100k miles and 3.5 out of the factory battery. I am ok with that. I am mainly ok in that it also fit perfectly into its spot with the hold-down.

The battery really only give me a few slow starts to let me know it was dying.......

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Has anybody considered checking the amp hour rating? In addition to CCA's, amp hour is the measure of how deeply you can load the battery and it will recover. I think the stock battery has a 72 amp hour rating. You may want to check that rating on off brands you are considering.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
The challenge (ok, one challenge) is that the VW battery is not spec'd like north American market specifies batteries.