Torque App Settings

zagato27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDi CW Titan 6MT Pano Nav Interlagos
Recently purchased the Torque App and am in the process of setting it up. I'm sure that their are others that have done this. How bout posting some tips and screen shots. Thanks in advance

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Recently purchased the Torque App and am in the process of setting it up. I'm sure that their are others that have done this. How bout posting some tips and screen shots. Thanks in advance
Well it's been a week, are you having fun with it yet? :)

I've had mine about a year now, nearly 70k miles of experience with it....

Lots of stuff to play with, don't take the numbers too scientifically....but it certainly has value. While I like to cram as much on one screen as possible, you don't have to be able to read it all. I'll have tiny dials for egt that only flash when high, to get my attention. I've also messed with the art of gauge layering. ;)

Get the vehicle profile as good as you can, it helps, and try out both the VW OBDII setting and generic setting, to see which you prefer. Mine is set to non-generic.

Here's some samples, cheers.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=94926&title=6ours&cat=5630

zagato27

Veteran Member
TDI
Well it's been a week, are you having fun with it yet? :)

I've had mine about a year now, nearly 70k miles of experience with it....

Lots of stuff to play with, don't take the numbers too scientifically....but it certainly has value. While I like to cram as much on one screen as possible, you don't have to be able to read it all. I'll have tiny dials for egt that only flash when high, to get my attention. I've also messed with the art of gauge layering. ;)

Get the vehicle profile as good as you can, it helps, and try out both the VW OBDII setting and generic setting, to see which you prefer. Mine is set to non-generic.

Here's some samples, cheers.

Ah, WOW! Lots of stuff there. I'm a bit "visually challenged", I wear glasses and I sort of need a screen that isn't quite that busy. Could you amplify on the "VW OBD II" setting and the "generic" settings. I'm a bit confused. DPF and EGT values, who knew. I'm currently using a "skin" from a Passat I believe, blue numbers and red sweeps. It' nice. Yeah, I'm still learning. I recently got a Pro Clip and it's great. I'm finding that I'm using my Galaxy S3 for a lot.....BT streaming of audio books on the way to work and also WAZE. Getting hard to squeez in TORQUE.

lou95gts

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
What brand Elm327 do you have? My Ebay special won't work on my tdi, but works on my Toyota.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

zagato27

Veteran Member
TDI

Audi Juice

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
That looks fun!!! I was playing with my Buddy's on his Galaxy S4 the other night. Best 0-60 run was 7.45 and pulled a pretty impressive 1.03 G in a couple corners (not stock suspension of course). Definitely a great thing to have.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
What brand Elm327 do you have? My Ebay special won't work on my tdi, but works on my Toyota.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I believe you want to ensure the term "BAFX" is applied to the ELM327 you choose. The branding for these is a convoluted mystery....:rolleyes:

When I ordered mine:

1. ELM327 BAFX OBDII: Check.

2. Highest rated, highest selling seller offering them on Amazon: Check.

$30 shipped. There's cheaper I know, but it's acted flawlessly daily for the last 12 months and ~68,000 miles. :)

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Ah, WOW! Lots of stuff there. I'm a bit "visually challenged", I wear glasses and I sort of need a screen that isn't quite that busy. Could you amplify on the "VW OBD II" setting and the "generic" settings. I'm a bit confused. DPF and EGT values, who knew. I'm currently using a "skin" from a Passat I believe, blue numbers and red sweeps. It' nice. Yeah, I'm still learning. I recently got a Pro Clip and it's great. I'm finding that I'm using my Galaxy S3 for a lot.....BT streaming of audio books on the way to work and also WAZE. Getting hard to squeez in TORQUE.
Might be referring to my VW set I posted. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4268210&postcount=8
A few people out there have said they like using the gauges I set up over the ones built in. Like the boost gauge. I don't know what is up with the built in boost gauge built into Torque, but the one I have in my set seems to be more accurate and faster (as long as you compensate for Barometric pressure).

Assuming you are talking about a BT OBD II scan tool. Bought this one off Amazon, it was recommended by another user. Works on my '12 JSW TDi and the price was reasonable.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_25
That was the exact unit I had before I switched to my OBDLink LX. Descent enough adapter, but my OBDlink is a whole lot faster and I can leave it plugged in without worrying about battery drain.

You should note that the more information you have on screen, the slower the information gets read. The OBDII reader can only pull so much information at a time. And those cheaper Amazon units only read ~25PIDs/sec.

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm having trouble getting my engine temp to display. It doesn't give me an option for coolant temp?

secteur_cyclist

TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
There are VW specific PIDs. Let me see if I can find the source for them. I downloaded them from somewhere and plugged them into the Torque app. They have been much more accurate than the generic PIDs listed by default in Torque Pro.

Here we go:

hotpocketdeath said:
"Here is a csv of my current custom Guages in torque
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kapw0cjp2prxuts/VW.csv
Just download it and stick it in the folder: "...\.torque\extendedpids\"
Load up Torque, go to settings > Manage Extra PIDs/Sensors > menu > Add Predefined set > choose "VW"
The boost guage is defaulted to reporting absolute manifold pressure (boost + barometric). If you want, you can edit the equation to auto subtract barometric pressure. the equation would look something like this:
(((D*256)+E)/32)-([ff1270]*.1)
The variable [ff1270] is the barometric pressure reported by my android phone. I used my phone because it's one less piece of information that the car needs to report since those Bluetooth dongles can only read so much info at a time. Your phone might be different. Use torquescan to find out your variable. The ".1" is simply a conversion from mBars to kPa so that it can work in the equation."

And yes, it's at the link in post #8. Wish I looked at that first before digging elsewhere online :)

Last edited:

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
There are VW specific PIDs. Let me see if I can find the source for them. I downloaded them from somewhere and plugged them into the Torque app. They have been much more accurate than the generic PIDs listed by default in Torque Pro.

Here we go:

hotpocketdeath said:
"Here is a csv of my current custom Guages in torque
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kapw0cjp2prxuts/VW.csv
Just download it and stick it in the folder: "...\.torque\extendedpids\"
Load up Torque, go to settings > Manage Extra PIDs/Sensors > menu > Add Predefined set > choose "VW"
The boost guage is defaulted to reporting absolute manifold pressure (boost + barometric). If you want, you can edit the equation to auto subtract barometric pressure. the equation would look something like this:
(((D*256)+E)/32)-([ff1270]*.1)
The variable [ff1270] is the barometric pressure reported by my android phone. I used my phone because it's one less piece of information that the car needs to report since those Bluetooth dongles can only read so much info at a time. Your phone might be different. Use torquescan to find out your variable. The ".1" is simply a conversion from mBars to kPa so that it can work in the equation."

And yes, it's at the link in post #8. Wish I looked at that first before digging elsewhere online :)
For the life of me, I can't find Torque in my folders :mad:

What am I missing??

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
So I downloaded a file manager, but there is no "extendedpids" folder. Do I need to create that one?

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Sorry; yeah, you gotta create that one as well. Then add the file to it and you'll be able to see them in Torque. Once you follow the directions above they will be at the bottom of your PIDs list and be called "VW-X" like VW Boost for the boost gauge.