Need to change odometer from miles to KM. Importing one for the U.S. to Canada

scottp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 golf SportWagon (canadian car)
Hello, I'm wondering how I can go about changing the odometer from miles to km. Is this something that can be done with VagCom? Dealers on both sides of the border keep referring me back to the other. Thanks!

ng3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI & Jetta TDI
I don't know about the US cluster but on the canadian passats switching is done thru the MFD by going into units and it includes odometer and trip. Also the speedo on the US cars have dual mph/kmh.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Do the canadian passats have MPH in the speedo too?

I think you'll run into problems with the parking brake logo as well. You might have to have the cluster swapped at a dealership.

-J

scottp

Veteran Member
TDI
Do the Canadian passats have MPH in the speedo too?

I think you'll run into problems with the parking brake logo as well. You might have to have the cluster swapped at a dealership.

-J
Why would the parking brake logo cause a problem? if the U.S. passat cluster does not have KM/h they stick labels at several intervals and that's it from what I understand.

scottp

Veteran Member
TDI
US law requires the brake warning say BRAKE, not have a symbol.
I would think it saying brake would be more acceptable because you don't have to decipher what the symbol means. I'm sure if I get a hardass for the inspection it could be a problem.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
He's bringing a US model to Canada, though.
DOH! I missed that! You should be good to go then... either with someone with VCDS changing the country code, or switching it in the MFA. I'll have to check if changing it in the MFA changes the odometer too... I can't recall if it does :confused:

-J

ng3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI & Jetta TDI
Canadian Passats have symbols for Parking Brake, DRL and for Cruise where the US cluster uses words/letters. I'm pretty sure this will not be an issue when importing into Canada. The cluster on my last car (Jeep Patriot) had the word Brake instead of the symbol. Pretty sure they're interchangeable when it comes to symbols/letters used.

Darkone

TDI
'15 A8L TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI
Everything you need to know about importing can be found here;
http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx
You do not have to do any modification to anything. Everything needed for Canadian standards is already on the US Passat.
It's quite simple process. I've done it four times. Just take your time and calculate all of your cost (travel, accommodation, RIV fee, etc.) Sometimes the savings and the hustle are not worth it. Be prepare to pay for HST/GST at the border, depending of where your residence is. No duties on this vehicle because it's made in US (NAFTA agreement).
Be aware that your warranty will be VOID if you buy NEW VW and then import it to Canada. If you buy used the warranty is transferable.
I was told that extended VW warranty (purchased in US for the US VW) is valid in Canada. This, however, should be confirmed with VW.
Good luck!

scottp

Veteran Member
TDI
Be aware that your warranty will be VOID if you buy NEW VW and then

I have been told by VWOA several times that the vehicle would still retain its full U.S. warranty including the carefree service as long as I bring it to a dealer in the U.S.. I live 20 min from the U.S., so if I needed to I could easily get over there. The information was just from a rep that replied to a link on their site. I would need something more official than that before buying. -

Darkone

TDI
'15 A8L TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI
I have been told by VWOA several times that the vehicle would still retain its full U.S. warranty including the carefree service as long as I bring it to a dealer in the U.S.. I live 20 min from the U.S., so if I needed to I could easily get over there. The information was just from a rep that replied to a link on their site. I would need something more official than that before buying. -
That is quite possible. I never asked VWOA because I am 500 km from the closest VW dealership in US. And most definitely get it in writing.
Keep in mind that if you vehicle is not drivable (not that our Passats are not reliable) and you have to tow it across the border, that can be a huge pain in the a$%.

Last edited: