DSG Top Fill

stanz

TDI
2009 jetta tdi
2009 Jetta TDI with DSG. Time for tranny service. Can I drain fluid measure quantity change filter and top fill? Not to concern myself with fluid temperatures and VW refill tool. Is this acceptable practice?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If you are patient you can fill it from the top. Time is money here, so I push it in from the bottom (takes about 45 seconds), but I do a ton of these, so the tools are worth every penny.

If you are just doing your own car every 40k miles and can spend the time to do so then your plan is perfectly fine.

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
As Oilhammer says you can do it that way. However the oil takes quite a while to dribble through the hole. I would do it in the summer or in a heated garage and get the oil warmed up before you do it.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
The VW tool is too expensive and it crappy - relies on gravity feeding. There are a few alternatives that work really well - Assenmacher makes a tool that specifically has a fitting for the DSG transmission. Fill the tool with fluid, attach the tube and pump - as oilhammer said, a minute tops.

oilhammer

TDI
We use the 'official' VAG tool, but instead of the cheesy bottle cap attachment, it is hooked into a hand pump vessel that allows you to push the fluid in very quickly.

The VAG tool also allows for the end to quick release, so you can use it on other transmissions besides the 02E.

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
2009 Jetta TDI with DSG. Time for tranny service. Can I drain fluid measure quantity change filter and top fill? Not to concern myself with fluid temperatures and VW refill tool. Is this acceptable practice?
Yes, I did mine that way at 40K and preparing for the 80K shortly. You don't need to measure as this is a fairly complete drain. There is a thread here with photos describing how to use the plastic insert in the drain hole to set the fluid level. Temperature will be important as the DSG is pretty sensitive to fluid levels. Check this thread for a detailed DIY: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=169356

I would take precautions to get the temperature in the range specified. I used an infrared surface temp device and let the car idle until the temp range was reached. I took readings all over the bottom and sides of the transmission and did mental averages until I felt the temp was where I needed. I then pulled the drain plug and let excess oil flow out into the drain pan.

For the top fill method, Walmart sells a funnel that fits perfectly in the center hole of the filter housing.

check out: http://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-Measu-Funnel-7pc/16889147

The entire service kit (VW spec fluid and filter) is available at ID Parts for around $130 IRRC.

Have fun! It's really no much more difficult than changing the engine oil.

TDI
2009 Jeta
I am getting ready to do this job trany fluid change

I am getting ready to do this job I am told, trans oil pan has a built in filter (must replace the pan) and the last time I checked this pan was about $250. If the fluid is clean, forgo this replacement.

A little input please.
Bill

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Not built into the pan, it is a cartridge accessed from the top kind of like the engine filter. For me he battery had to come out (really big hands).

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I made a small garden pump into a filler using a new drain plug. I drilled and tapped the plug to accept a quick connect airline coupling.
I drain into a pan and then pull the filter. Before I reinstall the filter I pump in the garden sprayer into the transmission. I think it takes 6 liters to properly over fill the transmission. Then I install the filter.
Remove the pressure by slowly unscrewing the top and let the excess oil run back into the sprayer. (saves some oil for the next time).
Crank the car and then let warm to the specified temp then pop off the quick coupling and unscrew the adapter modified pulg and replace the drail plug and you are done.

TDI
2009 Jeta
After reading the post one suggested using the VAG-COM is this absolutely necessary?
Are you pushing out the old oil with new oil?
I noticed the oil used was
G 052 182 A2 would Audi G-052-025-A2 or G-052-162-A1 work?
Thanks for your help/posts Bill

Last edited:

rraabe

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
dsg fluid amounts

I've read many people top fill using 4.6 liters of fluid through the filter housing. My dealer says I need 5.2 liters. If when done at a dealer they put in 6 and drain some back out using their very expensive cable to read temp, why would they tell me I need 5.2 liters instead of so many here telling my drain it, pour in 4.6 through the top fill method, install new filter and be done?
I doubt the dealer is only overfilling by .6 liter, I would strongly suspect they put in the full 6 bottles and then drain some back out. This entire procedure is ridiculous, but I'm hoping for a consensus as to how much to put in via the top fill method to keep this simple.

oilhammer

TDI
The entire procedure is pretty common on many automatics nowadays, and if you have the correct tools it is pretty easy and foolproof.

There are even nice aftermarket ATF fill kits that have the 02E type adapter as well as a bunch of other popular and useful ones. I don't see why people get so bunched up over this.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I've read many people top fill using 4.6 liters of fluid through the filter housing. My dealer says I need 5.2 liters. If when done at a dealer they put in 6 and drain some back out using their very expensive cable to read temp, why would they tell me I need 5.2 liters instead of so many here telling my drain it, pour in 4.6 through the top fill method, install new filter and be done?
I doubt the dealer is only overfilling by .6 liter, I would strongly suspect they put in the full 6 bottles and then drain some back out. This entire procedure is ridiculous, but I'm hoping for a consensus as to how much to put in via the top fill method to keep this simple.
This is acceptable and accurate. You do not need a VCDS to do this procedure.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
The entire procedure is pretty common on many automatics nowadays, and if you have the correct tools it is pretty easy and foolproof.

There are even nice aftermarket ATF fill kits that have the 02E type adapter as well as a bunch of other popular and useful ones. I don't see why people get so bunched up over this.
Exactly. Fill either way. Just make sure you DO IT!

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
6 liters most of the extra drains back and as far as I am concerned can be used on the next fill.
The setup I used doesn't cost much for the garden sprayed and the work on the drainplig is minimal. say $30.00 for the rig.
The drain back is pretty important to keep the level correct at the proper temp so I am not sure that the shortcuts are worth the risk.
It is time to change my oil again and maybe I will take the time to take some pictures of my setup. but I copied someone elses ideas when I made mine.
As to using smme other specification Audi oil, why not use the specified oil? Is it worth the savings if you do screw up the transmission?
just wondering.

JDB.

TDI
2009 Jeta
As to using smme other specification Audi oil, why not use the specified oil? Is it worth the savings if you do screw up the transmission?
just wondering.

JDB.
Amsoil has the Audi ATF Audi G-052-025-A2 or G-052-162-A1 I really like our product but if it is unacceptable I will not risk it. As fare as I know it may already be rated G 052 182 A2 just has not been released yet.Thanks Bill

oilhammer

TDI
Those are all very different fluids' part numbers, not a VAG rating of anything. The 02E DSG fluid is different than all the rest.

IanEricson

TDI
2011 Sportwagen TDI DSG
Further information on the top fill method - How long does it take? Plan on about 2 hours just to get the oil in little by little from the top. Less than an hour for everything else. So, plan on about 3 hours and maybe it will take a little less time.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I have done DSG fluid changes ~10 times over the years and the top fill will work although can take some time. An alternate method is to buy a spare drain plug and drill and tap to accept a brass hose barb. (~$15). Then pick up a marine lower unit fluid pump (or similar ~$10). Pump in from bottom saving an hour or more. Either way heat up the fluid and shake well. I also have VCDS for accurate temp/level measuring. Good luck, John