Best headlight bulb?

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
I found one of my headlights burnt out this morning and have been searching to see what the best replacement is. As I've found most of the threads to be outdated. Seems like most prefer Osram silver stars or Phillips X-treme power H7's.

I'm ok with stock H7's just though I'd change both out anyhow as they both are original to the car. Figured I'd see what everyone that's change them went to before I buy. I will have to buy and install what I can find locally today.

Thanks, and sorry if I missed any pertanient threads while searching. This thread has given me the most info but it's almost 5 yrs old, http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=171320&highlight=brightest+H7.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Just had one go out, replaced with Silver Star. It seems very slightly brighter than the OEM, 50k mile, 3-year-old bulb.
I'll do the other one today. I agree with you, and usually change these things in pairs.

(WAY off topic, but interesting. I had 2 Goodyear single-axle trailer tires throw their treads within 600 miles of each other...both had exactly the same, 30,000mile, highway life!! How's that for quality control?)

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Sounds like built in failure rate to me. Just past warranty I'd bet also.

What's the difference between sylvania and Osram silverstars? All I see is sylvania.

Lukesan

TDI
Jetta
Not sure if you guys can get them in the US but I highly recommend the Osram nightbreaker plus.
I was just comparing bulbs and on the drivers side I have the nightbreakers and on the passengers side the Silverstars. Believe me the nightbreakers are way better.

It made a big difference on mine. It's still not HID but far better than the standard bulbs.
They might go out faster but I prefer spending $30 on safety without regrets and that is why I have spare in the trunk.

Edit : Seems you can get them http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-DISTRIBUTOR-OSRAM-Night-Breaker-PLUS-NightBreaker-PLUS-H7-/370573689233

Last edited:

straightliner

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Jetta
The silver stars very short life was not worth the extra brightness! I went through two sets and the LONGEST the bulb last was 7 months! PLEASE keep in mind 7 months for me is about 20k miles

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
The silver stars very short life was not worth the extra brightness! I went through two sets and the LONGEST the bulb last was 7 months! PLEASE keep in mind 7 months for me is about 20k miles
Thats no good :(. I was seriously thinking about them, but you are making me reconsider that option.

Has anyone used the Philips X-Treme power bulbs?

I want a bulb to last preferably as long as the stockers did, got 88K miles and 5 years out of this one.

Lukesan

TDI
Jetta
Thats no good :(. I was seriously thinking about them, but you are making me reconsider that option.

I want a bulb to last preferably as long as the stockers did, got 88K miles and 5 years out of this one.

So you guys prefer a long lasting bulb over security?

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
I have Silver Stars that have been in the car over Four Years...
... when you replace the H7 Bulb, you CANNOT touch it with your BARE fingers.

FTG

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta

Agreed....the first time I replaced the original bulbs, I replaced with silverstars. They failed within 6 months, and silly me, I replaced them again with Silverstars. Again, very premature failure in about 6 months again. I was very careful and installed them with rubber gloves as to not get any oils on the bulb. Nevertheless, the short life with the cost associated turned me off to Silverstars forever.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I've been doing some Internet research. It appears that the SilverStars are a little brighter and whiter than "normal" H7s, but they suffer from short life. The Osram Night Breaker Plus bulbs are even brighter and they claim that their design gives them longer life than the SilverStars. The Osram Rally 65 watt bulbs are good, but they are also illegal on the streets - they are designed for night racing. Based on this I have ordered a pair of the Night Breaker Plus bulbs. They claim to be 90% brighter (as opposed to 50% brighter for the SilverStars) and have longer life. This combined with the fact that they are DOT approved (legal) is what clinched the decision. YMMV.

Have Fun!

Don

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
The Osram Rally 65 watt bulbs are good, but they are also illegal on the streets - they are designed for night racing.
While this is true, they don't impact the beam pattern and create glare. They are for "off road use only" according to the mfg though.

That said, I've never had anyone flash me because they were too bright.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
The xtravision light bulbs work just fine for me. I couldn't find any other manufactures like Philips or Osram locally. Maybe next time I'll order a set online as I now have a spare bulb should one go out.

turboboost1

Veteran Member
TDI
None, Did the buyback
Has anyone tried the GE Nighthawks, or the new Nighthawk Platinums? I've used the Nighthawks in a Saab 9-5 and they work very well.

TDIPyro

TDI
01 & 06 Jetta
I am on my second set of silver stars, two years is about the longest I have been able to keep them running.

digitalextremes

TDI
2k10 Jetta Sedan
I found one of my headlights burnt out this morning and have been searching to see what the best replacement is. As I've found most of the threads to be outdated. Seems like most prefer Osram silver stars or Phillips X-treme power H7's.
I'm ok with stock H7's just though I'd change both out anyhow as they both are original to the car. Figured I'd see what everyone that's change them went to before I buy. I will have to buy and install what I can find locally today.
Thanks, and sorry if I missed any pertanient threads while searching. This thread has given me the most info but it's almost 5 yrs old, http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=171320&highlight=brightest+H7.
to keep things simple, there are only two things to consider:

1) the higher in Kelvin (whiter, bluish) you go the shorter the life of the bulb will be (unless it is XENON HID)
2) stick with philips or Osram (they are better quality than GE IMO) and pick the bulb that you are willing to live with in terms of brightness/color and life

Last edited:

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
Been using the SilverStar bulbs for about two years with no problems. Great light output over the standard bulb. For the record I turned off the DRLs to prolong their useful life.

HeAvYfUeL

Veteran Member
TDI
2009, Golf Variant, DSG

My Philips X-Treme power bulbs lasted for 5 years. Very good white light and they lasted long.

kjmiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I am on my second set of Silver Stars. I wear rubber gloves when I replace them and the first pair only lasted 7-8 months. I think I'll try something else next time.

philip_g

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
I have no problems with the regular old sylvania/osrams. This pair has lasted a long time.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
I went with Osram 'Hyper Clear' 65W. It's a H9 bulb in a H7 base. They are not a "blue/white" bulb, but they are so bright it blows past looking "yellow". Installed them a year ago and no problems. $50 for a pair shipped.

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I went with Osram 'Hyper Clear' 65W. It's a H9 bulb in a H7 base. They are not a "blue/white" bulb, but they are so bright it blows past looking "yellow". Installed them a year ago and no problems. $50 for a pair shipped.
Where did you buy yours? I bought a new set for our new TDI and they were $41 shipped from Candlepower. Not like it's a big difference...

straightliner

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Jetta
Yes, i know you cant touch the bulb!

As i stated i drive alot!!! and the bulbs never last. If you dont drive that much they will certanly last longer. I switched back to the standard replacement and they have already exceeded the silver star's life. Also, i cant tell a difference in the qaulity of light output!

I thought the DRL feature was required by law?

Last edited: