Automatic stuck in Park - doesnt seem to be brake switch

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
Hello: I've searched and found a lot of posts about this problem. I dont think mine is the brake switch though - for a few reasons.
Mainly because my brake lights work fine and when I push on the pedal the light on the dash and the one next to the P on shifter go out (foot on pedal light).
I even tried the workaround which I found on this site about turning key slightly then move shifter. That worked a few times but today it wouldnt at all. I was stuck at the grocery parking lot. What I ended up doing out of frustration was force the shifter while doing that key trick. So it appears its something with that shift lock mechanism. I wouldnt mind disabling it if anyone knows how. Otherwise, if anyone knows of a fix?
I found this post - and tomorrow during the day I'll take a closer look and hopefully take apart the center console to get at the shifter

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1544264&postcount=3

thanks

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
Hello: I've searched and found a lot of posts about this problem. I dont think mine is the brake switch though - for a few reasons.
Mainly because my brake lights work fine and when I push on the pedal the light on the dash and the one next to the P on shifter go out (foot on pedal light).
I even tried the workaround which I found on this site about turning key slightly then move shifter. That worked a few times but today it wouldnt at all. I was stuck at the grocery parking lot. What I ended up doing out of frustration was force the shifter while doing that key trick. So it appears its something with that shift lock mechanism. I wouldnt mind disabling it if anyone knows how. Otherwise, if anyone knows of a fix?
I found this post - and tomorrow during the day I'll take a closer look and hopefully take apart the center console to get at the shifter

I believe there is supposed to be an audible click from the shifter area when you put your foot on the break. This click is from a solenoid coil assembly that ensures the car won't go into gear unless the brake is applied. Make sure you hear the click, and if not you would then troubleshoot the coil and it's related circuitry.

RECCE-17

Veteran Member
TDI
current 2011 Jetta,(ret)01' Jetta TDI (ret) 92' Golf Diesel
Josh is correct. I have a 01M and when I put my foot on the brake I can hear a clunk and can feel it in the gear shift.

I'd take apart the console and check the solenoid. I've never had to work on one of these shift release solenoids before but on some cars you can take it out all together.

There may be a way to program it with VCDS but that's over my head. The solenoid would have to work too.

Good luck!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Are you using your parking brake?

When parking the car, apply foot brake and while holding the car with the foot brake, apply the parking brake. Only then do you put the car in park, release the foot brake and shut off the engine.

When starting the car, apply the foot brake, start the car and put the shifter in gear, only then do you release the parking brake, and finally the foot brake.

Doing it this way will keep pressure off the parking pawl in the transmission.

But I think you have a bad clutch pedal switch..... and I would fix it, rather than bypass it.

HTH,

Bill

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
Josh is correct. I have a 01M and when I put my foot on the brake I can hear a clunk and can feel it in the gear shift.

I'd take apart the console and check the solenoid. I've never had to work on one of these shift release solenoids before but on some cars you can take it out all together.

There may be a way to program it with VCDS but that's over my head. The solenoid would have to work too.

Good luck!

That has to be it - - when I put my foot on brake I no longer hear that clunk and feel it in the shifter. I guess this weekend I know what I'll be doing!!
thanks recce and josh

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
DigDug,

Keep us posted. I may also have a few spare parts for the shifter if needed.