Help Plz! Jetta Shifter Wont Shift from Park!

tomhangler

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
Hey all. I recently bought a 2010 Jetta Tdi sedan automatic dsg. I have a very frustrating problem with it that I've been trying to figure out the past day. The shifter is stuck in Park and it wont move into any gear! When I turn on the ignition, the information dashboard says please shift to P/N. Now obviously the car doesn't recognize that it's in Park, but It is because I was struggling with it all day. Now, I HAVE checked the brake lights (they work), so obviously the brake light switch works as well. I ALSO checked the fuses, all of them are functioning and there. The car doesn't even want to start because it thinks its in gear or something. Now my question is, I have a few sensors by the engine unhooked. Are there any sensors that deal with the automatic transmission anywhere? Since the fuses and brake light switch are functioning, it has to be something else. But I just cant get the thing to work. So frustrating. Any transmission sensors that might be broken or anything else that you pros can think of? I obviously can't go to the dealer atm since car wont shift or start. I'm thinking that it won't start because the car thinks it is in gear while infact the shifter is in the "Park" position.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
call for the free towing, tow it to the best dealer you can, probably a sensor on the tranny you can't see was disconnected or something.

MostroDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Gasser VR6; (Sold and missed) 09 JSW DSG Pano Blue Graphite Build Date 05/09
Trying to understand...you have a few sensors unhooked, trying to diagnose this problem? Or are you saying you're driving around with sensors unhooked?

Quite possible an engine sensor could play a role, since the DSG and engine brains are a coordinated dance. Perhaps if the DSG isn't getting some piece of information from the engine management system, it refuses to budge as a self-preservation method?

I really don't know what I'm talking about, strictly speaking, but it's been common for a decade or so for engines brains and transmission brains to work together to modulate shifting, keep things smooth, and control the amount of torque the transmission will have to contend with.

tomhangler

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
Free towing? Haha must be a joke. Anyways, I had a few sensors unhooked trying to diagnose this problem. I did NOT drive around with sensors unhooked. Again, are there any sensors for the tranny? I dont have an owner's manual and cant look that up. A sensor might be broken. But one thing for sure is that: Fuses are all good, Brake sensor is good.

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
Free towing? Haha must be a joke. Anyways, I had a few sensors unhooked trying to diagnose this problem. I did NOT drive around with sensors unhooked. Again, are there any sensors for the tranny? I dont have an owner's manual and cant look that up. A sensor might be broken. But one thing for sure is that: Fuses are all good, Brake sensor is good.
Is YOUR post a joke?

Your car is new and presumably under warranty unless you already have more than 60K miles on it...why are you messing with it? Call VW (1-800-411-6688) and they will send out roadside assistance and tow it FOR FREE to your dealer who will fix it FOR FREE.

Make sure you re-connect everything you touched before they take it though - you don't want to give them a reason to blame you for it.

Last edited:

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
The DSG sensors are all internal so if you can see them, well, that's your problem :p But seriously, there is only one electrical connector on the DSG and if you disconnect it, the transmission loses all electrical power. The problem you're experiencing is probably related to the "park" switch; i.e., the switch that lets the transmission know it's in Park. Whether that's located on the actual shifter (I know there are a bunch of Hall sensors under there) or in the transmission, I have no idea. The park cable is the only mechanical connection between the gear shifter and the transmission so Reverse, Neutral, Drive, and Tiptronic modes are all selected electronically rather than mechanically.

My advice? Plug the sensors back in and call VW Roadside Assistance. It's free with the new vehicle purchase.

tomhangler

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
umm..the car is at my house. So i have time to work on it. I don't have warranty on the car guys. So please dont judge me. I am trying to figure this out on my own. I have worked on cars for a while now, this is my first jetta. German cars are all electronic cars and I being a mechanical guy, trying to solve this without shelling out a few grand.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
not sur ewhy you wouldn't have warranty on a 2010 Jetta, but thats your issue. apparently you got the car used or salvage or something. doesn't matter. back to the problem at hand.

have you tried shifting it into neutral? or is it stuck in park>?

if its stuck in park and wont move out, there is a single wire solenoid under the shifter trim that tells the car that the brake has been pushed and will let the unit out of park. if you disconnect this solenoid, it will shift out of park so you can try starting it in Neutral.

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
not sur ewhy you wouldn't have warranty on a 2010 Jetta, but thats your issue.
Used cars come with warranties. Even lemon law buybacks come with warranties. Salvage cars even have the balance of a manufacturer's warranty in most cases if they are sold after certified repairs are made.

Cars which are stolen, however come with no warranties. This guy, if he's serious, sounds like maybe he's trying to hack around VW's immobilizing system...whatever the reason this sounds a little suspicious to me.

Good luck with whatever you are doing.

Last edited:

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
ITS A SALVAGE CAR! I bought it hit. U want pic as proof?
Pics of what?

And if the car is a SALVAGE CAR! why would you not tell us that upfront? Don't you think that is pretty f'ing major?

So, to seriously try to help you:
1) Do you have the keys? Which ones (what do they look like?)
2) Does the remote unlock the doors?
3) Does the metal key unlock the doors?
4) Does the key start the engine?

Let us know each of these things with a lot of detail and we will then ask you some more questions, you will answer, we will ask more, you will answer, and then one of the smart guys on here will be able to hook you up with a solution.

You cannot just stumble in and expect friendly strangers to diagnose your junk car for free, and be played with/abused at the same time. Be a happy camper, develop rapport, and be overly giving with the information you have about your car...

tomhangler

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
Yes I have the keys. They're the remote control keys. The remote Does unlock the car. The metal key dose unlock the door. They key starts the ignition, but car deosn't start. I assume cuz it thinks the car is in gear. What does this have to do with anything?

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
These cars are equipped with Immobilizers.

The immobilizer is a device on the car the prevents it from starting (and possibly shifting) if the key does not match to the ECU of the car.

If the car won't start, or if it consistently starts for a second and then dies you may have an immobilizer issue.

If the ECU that is in the car does not recognize the key (there is a RFID chip inside of the plastic part of the keys) then the car will not function.

It is possible to have the keys turn the cylinders, and unlock the doors and still not start the engine - the immobilizer only works on the drivetrain computer. It has nothing to do with the mechanical locks/ignition cylinder.

When you turn the car on do you get any lights that *stay* illuminated on the dash after the others go out? The presence of a check engine light may mean there is a code stored in the ECU - and this could go a long way to pointing you in the right direction. Also, unless I am mistaken, there is a separate light for the immobilizer that looks like a key. Are you seeing that one?

tomhangler

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
the car never starts thats the thing. The ignition functions normally and so does the dashboard. I cant turn on the car, therefore can't read the check engine light or do anything else. I just think it still has to do with the dsg tranny. Either a sensor could be not plugged in or something. I'm tryin to find out if there are any such sensors or what has to deal with moving the transmission out of the park position. Idk, i am stuck.

tomhangler

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
I mean the car is still on my trailer. I cant even put it to neutral so I can back it out of the trailer. It's really frustrating. All the fuses work and the brake lights work. I just cant see any emergency release button near the shifter to try to make it shift. They removed an emergency shifter release buttons cuz I can't find one?

tomhangler

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
umm btw...where is the ECU stored in the jetta? Cuz my radiator is off as well as the bumper and bumper support. I'm wondering if maybe ECU came off in the accident. I doubt it all cuz the car interior functions fine until you try to start it or shift it.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
I'm grabbing the popcorn for this show.:D

OP, does the green light that looks like a foot on the brake pedal go off when you press the brake pedal?

tomhangler

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
the keys are legit. I got em of an insurance auction. Is it possible after an accident that the ECU doesnt recognice the key?

tomhangler

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
btw if the car was immobilized wont it tell me on the dashboard? Or shouldn't it? The only thing that the dashboard tells me is that to get the shifter to P or N position.

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
Brake depressed?

This may be too obvious, but do you have the brake depressed when you try to go from P to D or N? There is an interlock that keeps you from moving the shift lever from P to D if the brake is not depressed.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
This issue has nothing to do with the immobilizer.

Were you able to put the car in neutral to get it in your trailer?

aaronazevedo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Cup
another thing to look at. I have a 6speed, so I'm only guessing on my past nightmare Audi experience with automatics. typically the shifter has a safety lock-out mechanism that pulls 12v from the brake circuit. On my Audi it was actuated by the brake pedal. On another Audi with the same problem, the solenoid pulled the 12v from left brake light.

just thinking...if your battery is dead (knowing its a salvage car), it might be something to look at.

AA

epc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I mean the car is still on my trailer. I cant even put it to neutral so I can back it out of the trailer. It's really frustrating. All the fuses work and the brake lights work. I just cant see any emergency release button near the shifter to try to make it shift. They removed an emergency shifter release buttons cuz I can't find one?
How did the car get on your trailer then?

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
I would suggest the OP invest in a shop manual and VAGCOM since he's trying to rebuild a car which has obviously suffered significant damage from an accident. Scanning for codes is where I would start.

It's likely he will encounter problems none of us will have had due to the nature of trying to fix a former wreck. Any 2010 car with a salvage title which has had enough damage done to justify totaling it will be a real challenge to make right. That's why the insurance companies elect to sell them for parts rather than try and fix them and resell them. Chances are something got broken during the impact and the car still thinks it is in gear. Maybe it is something as simple as resetting it with VAGCOM or maybe something inside the DSG broke when the car was hit...it will take more than a post on this board to figure it out.

I know from my own experiences with cars that have been hit, they are never right again.

This will likely be one of those showing up on ebay or CL in a few months claiming to have had a "light hit" in a parking lot. It's amazing how many cars the insurance companies are willing to total when they brush up against a shopping cart at the grocery store ;)

Last edited:

tomhangler

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
guys the car was hit on the side lightly. None of the airbags went off. Now I did depress the brakes all the way. I have tried many things. I got it on the trailer using a tractor. THe auction they put it on my trailer. Now the battery was not with the car when I got it, someone took it so I would sure like to find that emergency release button. THanks for all the insight.