How much do new licence plates cost in Ontario?

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI , 2006 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T
Hey, guys im planning to register a car tomorrow, i know i gotta pay 8% tax on the car, but i was wondering how much do regular plates cost?

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
regular plates are around 15 i think and then you need to buy sticker, 75$ for the year and if your address is in toronto then you also have to pay another 60 as well.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Plate stickers are $75 for the year. So if your birthday is 6 months from now, you only pay 6 months worth of sticker. Or, 18 months if you prefer. The price will be adjusted accordingly.

kack

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 2000 BMP
new plates are $20 I just got some for the subaru on Friday sticker is pro rated to your birthday starts at $75/year.

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
Last time I registered a vehicle it was $10 per plate for new regular ones ($20 for the pair). Vanity or if you want new plates with the same number as your old plates are around $200 initial charge.

Registration fees are extra on top of those.

daniel_mad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI 127hp
anyone know why's there's an extra 60 buck charge for people in Toronto? like, what the hell! living in this city is turning into real BS. I should just move and save myself lots of money.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
daniel_mad said:
anyone know why's there's an extra 60 buck charge for people in Toronto? like, what the hell! living in this city is turning into real BS. I should just move and save myself lots of money.
It is a "MRG" (Miller Revenue Generator), and it goes by the address on your drivers license. This is why a friend of mine who lives in Toronto does not pay it as his drivers license still states "RR1, Utopia" as his address;)

I live 1 block north of Steeles, so I like it, I don't pay it. I get to use all the benefits of Toronto, but don't have to pay for them :D

MrVermin

wildkitty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
mrvermin said:
I live 1 block north of Steeles, so I like it, I don't pay it. I get to use all the benefits of Toronto, but don't have to pay for them :D
My parents are in the same boat.

I used to live in Scarborough........... and then the paying of the trash came...