Airbag Fault Code

JungleMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Hello to all,

I Cleared the Airbag Controller codes on my brothers '03 GLI and keep getting the same result after restarting car and re-scanning.

Here is the code:

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N
Control Module Part Number: 1C0 909 605 F
Component and/or Version: 04 AIRBAG VW61 0202 0001
Software Coding: 12340
Work Shop Code: WSC 00066
1 Fault Found:
00589 - Airbag Igniter 1: Passenger Side (N131)
32-00 - Resistance too High

Any advice on where the fault could be?

Thanks to all in advance.

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Resistance Too High error codes usually mean that there's some corrosion in one of the contacts... Of course, it could also mean that the airbag igniter is actuallly past its functional life...

Please keep in mind that airbags are explosive devices, and all the usual precautions should be exercised when working and troubleshooting the systems...

Yuri.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Squibs(ignitor if you prefer) have a very long life typically. The connections are more prone to corrosion. Just make sure the battery is disconnected before you start to play with these things...and follow what the manual tells you to do...exactly. I havent played with car systems very often, but, I do regularly on the machines I work on most often, and it is safe only when you make sure the power is off, and all the conditions in the manual have been met.

Craig

zigmo06

TDI
2000 Golf, 2D, 390 000 k and counting
Hi everyone.

I had a similar problem. Turned out the cable running along the seat for the side impact airbag was rubbing up against the hinge connecting the seat and backrest and wore out the cable's coating causing the fault. If you pull the seat cover off and inspect the cable you might see the same thing happening.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
The N131 airbag is the one in the dash on the passenger side. If it were the seat airbags, the error codes would be for N199 or N200.

You can pop off the dash cover exposing the airbag underneath. Inspect the connection. Its tricky to reach IIRC. Maybe try to use some stabilitant 22 electrical connection enhancer in the plug.

Just be aware, as other have stated, that playting with the airbags can lead to serious injury or death if your not carefull.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Here is an illistration:

The connector is on the left side of the airbag. I can't remember if removal of the bag is necessary to access that plug? Its been a while since I removed a passenger side airbag.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Wingnut said:
Maybe try to use some stabilitant 22 electrical connection enhancer in the plug.
That used to be the recommendation... I believe that VW now has a Technical Service Bulletin (or Bentley equivalent) that states:

"We have been informed by the Factory that the use of Stabilant 22A Part # ZVW 186 001 must not be used on any connection on the Airbag System"

FWIW...

Yuri.

VDUB TECH

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon TDI , Audi TT TDI Q , 2013 Touareg TDI , 2006 Jetta TDI
i always just unplug and plug back in about 30 times.That cures the problem in most cases.If not then the harness is required which is quick to install.Since jungle man stated it comes back right away after erasing it it probably is the harness.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Well, to keep this going, my AB light came on, but the SG doesn't show any codes. I think it may have something to do with the passenger seat being moved a few times tonight. It the wiring harness a pain to get at?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I don't have a scanguage, so not sure about tis, but I think it can only read engine codes? You would need a Vag-com to read the air bag codes.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
well, i disconnected the battery to see if the code would clear... nada. So i guess i gotta try looking under the seats, assuming that's where the issue is.

Is there anything to worry about if i just ignore the light, which i'm sure i won't be able too.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
wingnut is correct - scangauge will NOT be able to show you the trouble codes.
do what Brandon suggested, remove the connector for the airbag on the seat you moved and reseat it a couple of times. The airbag connector will be the yellow plug inside the thick plastic housing. (best way i can describe it but u'll know what i mean when u see it)

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
OmegaRenegade said:
wingnut is correct - scangauge will NOT be able to show you the trouble codes.
do what Brandon suggested, remove the connector for the airbag on the seat you moved and reseat it a couple of times. The airbag connector will be the yellow plug inside the thick plastic housing. (best way i can describe it but u'll know what i mean when u see it)
Thanks. Digging under the seat is my next thing. Let's just hope it's that, but i'm sure it is. The light didn't turn on untill the seat was being moved a few times.

no more "i'll pick them up from the airport for me"

M

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
If not then the harness is required which is quick to install.Since jungle man stated it comes back right away after erasing it it probably is the harness.
I have exactly the same issue. What exactly is the "harness" that VDUB_TECH was referring to here? I have the dash apart and have taken the airbag out, pulled the wires out of the connector and put some Deoxit D5 on everything, but still get the "Resistance too high" error code for N131 Passenger Airbag.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
mjhandy said:
Well, to keep this going, my AB light came on, but the SG doesn't show any codes. I think it may have something to do with the passenger seat being moved a few times tonight. It the wiring harness a pain to get at?
Mark, you know you have free scans for life right?
Shout if you need.

spider_mun

TDI
Beetle TDI 2001
airbag light on controller is the bad 6Q0-909-605-a

My airbag light is stuck on, I have looked over the connections on the seats, and all seem OK. I did have some work done on the passenger seat at dealer, had to replace the mechanism to move seat back and forward, after car was hit from behind, possibly disconnected the harness, but left battery connected. My vag-com is 311, so it gives me warning. Will disconnecting battery, let sit for a hour, possibly resolv, unless there is truly a bad connection.

volks TDI Beetle 2001

BgRedBrck

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 JETTA
Hey guys I know its an old thread but worth a shot.

Will the airbag light in the dash go out if the problem is fix? Or do I need to clear the code with a Vag-Com?

MoldovaDIZEL

Vendor
TDI
mk4 TDI, 98 Cabrio AAZ
i actually have the same resistance to high! and signal 2 low, related to passanger seat,someone moved it n it came on, shall i be looking at the yellow plug as well?

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I had an issue with misaligned wires under my drivers seat, they would get pulled when I moved the seat and airbag light would come on. I always cleared it with the vag com, not sure if they will go off by themselves when fault is corrected. Realigned and secured the harness, no problems since.

velvetassassin96

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta Tdi - the HULK
Hey guys I know its an old thread but worth a shot.

Will the airbag light in the dash go out if the problem is fix? Or do I need to clear the code with a Vag-Com?
You will need to clear the fault codes with either vag-com or vcds - you can restart/plug-n-unplug the battery as many times as you want, but the light will still be there unless the fault codes are cleared.

good luck :p