adjusting shifter linkage 02J manual transmission

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
adjusting shifter linkage 02J manual transmission **update**

My Beetle is an early 1999 and it has the 02J tranny. So, the easy method with the bent nail used for the 02M and later 02J does not work. The Bentley is useless as it only refers to the VW special tools.

Is there a field method to adjust the shifter linkage on the early 02J? I fear no is the answer, because a search yielded no real results.

Last edited:

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I used the 'bent nail' on my 02J (under the shift boot) with great success. Is this Beetle lacking the proper holes for such an alignment at the shifter?

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Well, under the boot things look quite different from the 02M and the later model 02J. I did see two holes towards the left rear of the shifter that could be lined up with a "nail". The shifter cables in the front do not have the fancy pull-and-twist locking mechanism that the others have. I guess that is why the Bentley calls for the use of the "special wedge".

How did you do it?

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Thanks for the link. It is not totally useless but not an exact solution to my problem.

I think I will mark the current settings on the cables, lock the shift lever and experiment. If it fails, I can always return to the marked positions.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
This is how it works

cattlerepairman said:
My Beetle is an early 1999 and it has the 02J tranny. So, the easy method with the bent nail used for the 02M and later 02J does not work. The Bentley is useless as it only refers to the VW special tools.

Is there a field method to adjust the shifter linkage on the early 02J? I fear no is the answer, because a search yielded no real results.
I finally got (almost) stuck when I could no longer engage reverse. Time for a field repair. Of course, in the dark and in the rain.

The fix took 30 seconds and if you have an early style 5speed (you do not have the "locking" features on the selector cables) that is difficult to shift, you may be able to fix it in no time:

Symptom: when selecting reverse, first or fifth, you have the impression that the shift lever should really move over a little more to be able to select the gear properly. OR: you need to push hard against the side stops to be able to engage the gear. OR: you move the shift lever over (sideways) all the way, but still cannot engage the gear.

Reason: The adjuster for the gate adjuster cable (the one responsible for the proper sideways movement of the shift mechanism) is out of whack.

The problem: The Bentley makes you cry; you need VW special tools (yes, one can be replaced by a bent nail, but the two others look like they are used on the Space Shuttle).

The solution:

Put shifter into neutral and apply parking brake. Identify the shifter linkage.

Take a 13mm stubby ratcheting wrench (or 13mm socket and small ratchet) and loosen the nut for the gate selector. That is the one that points towards the passenger side labelled "A" in the pic.
You may find that that nut was already fairly loose - aha!
Now press the shifter cable and arm gently in the direction of the arrow (towards the firewall). Initially, it may move easily, but after a few mm of movement you feel the springy resistance of the shifting lever (same feel as when you move it sideways in neutral). Stop as soon as you encounter the resistance. Hold the shifter cable/lever in place and tighten the 13mm nut.

Get into the car and shift through the gears. Chances are, that you have butter smooth shifting.
If not - readjust slightly.

Close hood and rejoice.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Yes, that is how my problems started; I had to select 2nd and only then it would move forward into 1st - and even that would clatter when the car was still moving. At the end, I needed to go into "reverse" (press shifter and move it over) to be able to select 1st.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
broken linkage

cattlerepairman said:
Yes, that is how my problems started; I had to select 2nd and only then it would move forward into 1st - and even that would clatter when the car was still moving. At the end, I needed to go into "reverse" (press shifter and move it over) to be able to select 1st.
Well I've had these same symptoms, now I have a broken actuating arm (pre 05.99 tranny). My question is, can this plastic piece be removed and replaced without removing the whole selector mechanism? and does anyone have a part no./part source?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
It prys off the ball and slides out of the bottom. part no. 1J0 711 260(or 256). Dealer has it for $25

tdi_micah

TDI
99.5 Jetta
Rejoice

I know this thread is way old, but I tried just about everything else and still had trouble shifting in to 1st, 2nd and reverse. This small adjustment made it shift like a brand new car.

elguapo

TDI
beetle gas
99 bug shifter

I just joined the forum to thank the poster of the shifter adjustment. Pure GENIUS. Took 30 seconds and saved me possibly hundreds. Thanks again!

motomike33y

TDI
2002 jetta tdi
If I'd found this thread last summer, before my wife tried to start out in 3rd gear with her trailer, and burned out the clutch....now I should be able to adjust things when I button up the repair job