PRNDS Lights Flashing, Stuck in First Gear

Tawny

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
06 Jetta TDI 45,000 miles, under warranty- Need advice!
Exact Problem:pRNDS LIGHT FLASHING, TRANSMISSION NOT SHIFTING FROM FIRST GEAR,

The gear shift lights- "PRNDS" began flashing when driving slowly the second day after I bought it. The service advisor said she had never heard of that happening before. Look at the invoice and you will know what was done. At the end of the service visit, she said that when they checked it out, they could tell that something happened but didn't know what- she said they cleared the code out of the computer and it should be fine.
The flashing PRNDS has happened probably four or five more times. I video taped one occasion (with my cell). It always happens when driving slowly- like driving into my driveway.

Last night, I had stopped and when I took off, the PRNDS lights began flashing. The car would not shift out of FIRST gear. I attempted to switch to manual shift and I could not get it to shift. I parked the car, pulled up the parking brake, and turned the car off. I turned it back on to see if it would drive. I released the brake. I then drove it slowly back to my home. (about 1 mile) It was shifting gears but I didn't take a chance. I drove very slow.

Had it towed to dealership. Open to suggestions.

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
in the manual it mentions something about that being failsafe mode or suttin like that. Probably not good. But might be a bad trans controlleR? not sure people will help u out tho

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
Same thing happend to my parent's car. The dealer replaced the shifter assembly and ignition switch. We will be picking up the car today. Her's wouldn't start also. Has you dsg transmission been serviced? It is due to be serviced at 40k, but this shouldn't have anything to do with the shifter assembly. I can do you complete 40k service if you want. It would include the dsg service, oil and filter, fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter. I use vw parts so everything is according to the warranty guide lines.

Tawny

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
MTBR297-
Still waiting for the call back from the dealer. I was told they would be calling right about now.
I bought this used from the dealer- it is certified by VW. I bought it at 42k miles. Was shown all services- so I am pretty certain it was all done, in order for it to be certified.
HOWEVER- I have heard through the grapevine that you are an excellent mechanic for TDI's. I guess I've got to see what they say while under warranty. I appreciate your opinion on this as I am traumatized about such problems so quickly after purchasing it. -Trying not to second-guess my decision to buy a VW TDI. :-(

Tawny

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Controle Module

Just got the call back- They say it is the control module which requires tearing down the transmission. The part is being ordered from VW and will take 1.5 weeks to get here.

Tawny

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
That's what I am noticing too. At least it is under warranty. til 67K miles, anyway.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I love this transmission but these failures are very troubling..........
I haven't heard of anyone having and problem after getting it fixed.......