Only Driver's side speakers working when using the aux input on my 06.5 Jetta??

TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI Campanella White Pkg 2
I was noticing today that it sounded like the sound was all coming from the driver's side of the car. I started fiddling with the balance and noticed that when I turned the balance to fully on the passenger speakers there was no sound at all!! I tried this with the fader on the front and on the rear speakers and it was the same for both. At the time I was listening to my ipod through the aux input in the glove box. TO further test I tried it with just the radio on, and the speakers work just fine, so it appears to be only an issue when listening through the aux input.

Based on this I would presume that it isn't a speaker issue, but I don't know if this is normal or if there is actually a problem. Has anybody else experienced this? Any ideas? I am no audiophile, but it was certainly a noticable difference. :confused: This is on my 2006.5 Jetta TDI pckg 2 purchased in Nov.

Please help if you can!

soberups

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have the same problem, only it happens on mine when I use the CD player (I dont have an ipod). My FM and satellite radio work fine. I asked the service manager about it and he said I would have to "schedule an appointment" to have it looked at, but since I dont listen to CD's much I will just wait a few more months until my 10K service. Its interesting that you and I both have an identical car AND we are both in Oregon. Coincidence?

TDI
I haven't checked with the CD changer, I will have to do so, but I would have to say that it doesn't sounds like much of a coincidence to me....I will have them look at it when I do my next oil change I think...

kpaske

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If it only happens with AUX devices like an MP3 player, I would guess that your device is only sending in mono, or your adapter cable is only capable of carrying a mono signal. Try a different device, and a different cable.

Edit: Also, try twisting the AUX plug back and forth a little. If the passenger side starts crackling in and out, you just need to replace your cable as the end may have become damaged.

If it happens with your CD changer, it could be a loose connection from the changer to the head unit.

TDIoily

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
If you look at the plug going into the AUX, there should be two seperate bands/rings. If there is only one you get mono. Two = Stereo. Sometimes stock aux cords come mono. Radio crap usually has the right piece for cheap.

TDI
Good info, thank you! I will try looking for a new cord, I am fairly certian that my ipod isn't mono at least...

TDI
I checked, there was only one right. Went and spent a couple bucks on a stereo cord with the two rings and problem solved. Thanks!