DVD playback in motion RNS-510

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Is it possible for the passenger to watch a DVD while in motion with the RNS-510? It plays until around 10mph, then a warning comes up. Any ideas? 2010 US JSW TDI

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
tvmaster said:
thanks for that - I was hoping to find a vag-com or other method without having to add hardware, but if that's the only way, then I'll have to bite the bullet
Don't forget to pay attention to the note in the product description:

- Please consult local laws regarding playing video while your vehicle is in motion.

In many states it is illegal to have a movie playing in the front seat while moving. I don' t know for sure about California; but, I would not be surprised if this was one of those states.

Have Fun!

Don

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
A lot of people make modifications to the security and safety programing of their system. I would just hope that they put the thing back to stock before selling or trading it in. I should think there is some liability involved in making a lot of these modifications and selling to a buyer who expects the car to work as designed.
In particular the door unlocking on engine off, security key fob beeps, and now moving DVD watching. (Buying a used Jetta for 17 year old kid four years from now...for example.)

Last edited:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Even if I could enable this feature on my RNS for free I wouldn't. I'd be way too tempted to use it and there's enough distractions with driving the way it is already.

However, to each his own. I can see a case if the driver is very disciplined it would be a nice feature for any passengers in the car, however I don't have that kind of discipline, especially if it's something I like on :)

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
I believe with newer firmware there is a combination of buttons to press to get the DVD works in motion. I never paid attention to this though, check out vwnavi forums.

SRPumpelly

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I was wondering the same thing. My voice command button is just a mute (9w2) and there is no tome button. Anyone get this to work in the US?

behavioranalyst

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 2-door Auto DSG
My RNS-510 also has no Tone button - only a Phone button in that location. If anyone has been able to get this to work with these key configurations, I'd sure like to know :)

falconguy

TDI
tba
A pilot from vw showed me, it was two buttons depressed at same time. He really knew the product, he showed me so much the dealer should or could have...Not having nav I wasn't looking, he showed me on a courtesy loaner they had while here on a trip.

Will ask him to remind me in an email......

falconguy

TDI
tba
A pilot from vw showed me, it was two buttons depressed at same time. He really knew the product, he showed me so much the dealer should or could have...Not having nav I wasn't looking, he showed me on a courtesy loaner they had while here on a trip.

falconguy

TDI
tba

T

Timujin

^ what kind of firewall are you running on your PC?

If there is a way to do this on a USDM RNS I will get one. This would have saved lots of baby crying on a recent road trip.

behavioranalyst

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 2-door Auto DSG
Have you heard from your VW pilot about how this works yet?

wallyballz

TDI
2010 Platinum gray sedan
i have a US model rns-510 i have got it to stay on if you:
1.start car and start playing the dvd
2. while stopped and video playing press the voice command button then the sound button.
3. don't touch anything else
if you touch any other button it will lock out, so set it at the volume you want before doing it. I drove around for 20 min and it stayed on.

Robpol86

TDI
2010 JSW
I tried this just now and it didn't work for me.

I started the car, inserted the dvd, and started playing the video.

When I pressed the voice button on the steering wheel (with the microphone icon, on the left under the d-pad) the video paused with the mute icon on the upper left of the screen.

When I pressed the sound button on the RNS-510, the sound options menu appeared (blocking the video).

I wasn't able to get the video to keep playing while driving, using any combination of these two buttons, holding both or pressing and letting go.

Unfortunately I don't have my vagcom yet, so I don't know the firmware version on my RNS-510, and I don't want to pull it out just yet. I received my 2010 JSW on the last day of June (a month ago).

Am I missing a step? Let us know wallyballz.

SRPumpelly

TDI
Might have to do with the different function assigned to the voice command button in the sedan vs. the JSW. We have 9W2's and he may have a 9W3? Thus the button might have a different purpose or function? Anyone know more about this?

wallyballz

TDI
2010 Platinum gray sedan
the video on mine doesn't pause when i hit the button, the sound cuts out, but no pause. After i hit the sound button a tone plays and i just cancel the voice command and everything stays on. if i find some time tonight i will post a video of it. How can you tell if you have the 9w3?

SRPumpelly

TDI
If you have the voice control you probably have the 9W3. If you get call info on the MFD or the RNS-510 you most likely do as well.

sportwagen rick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 SportWagen
Tried this today and it didn't work. I have my steering wheel button coded for Voice Command. Once I hit the Voice Command button the video pauses and "the lady" prompts me for a command. I tried pressing the Sound button at a variety of different timings, following pressing the voice command button, while stopped. I thought it might be a timing thing. The Sound button does not bring up the sound controls when pressed following the Voice Command initiation. I cancel the Voice dial by saying, "cancel."

No dice.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
well it looks like they must have re-enginered the unit to not allow us what the Europeans have. Frustrating. When we're on long drives, like 6-8 hours, we've used an iPod to make the drive a little less boring for the passenger. the rules are it has to be a program the driver has already seen, hence, no desire to have to "see" it, just listen.
It's worked so far. Used mainly for the long, empty desert drives.
Hopefully someone will find the magic combanation to unlock video playback.