Best way to upgrade RCD-510 to RNS-510?

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
I have a 2010 TDI Sedan that came with the RCD-510 and 9W3 Bluetooth.

Reading up (a lot) around here I feel it should be a simple swap to upgrade to the RNS-510, only adding the sat antenna. My dealer, the only one in town, is insisting this swap can't be done because it's not possible. Quoting comments from this forum that it is indeed possible did not impress them.

What else would you suggest I say for them to help me with this swap?

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
Thank you so much, this is a great resource! Now, how to convince the dealer to install it for me?

biby

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 Golf
it could be a 30min DIY job at most, why would you be bothered to get the dealer to do it?

kzod

TDI
None (yet)
Better yet, with all of the talked about shortcomings even with the factory installed RNS, why not just look at an aftermarket stereo? For virtually the same price you'd have a bulletproof GPS, sat stereo, integrated bluetooth with full functionality (including MFSW) and even a rear view camera!

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
biby said:
it could be a 30min DIY job at most, why would you be bothered to get the dealer to do it?
Because I don't have access to VAG. :(

Last edited:

rotorhead23

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat Highline 6 Spd Manual
One of my friends bought a 2010 Jetta TDI Highline and did the RNS-510 swap himself then took it to the dealer and had them code it. They charged him $69. Easy to DIY.

Trepex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Wagon
Yep it was really straightforward on my 2010 wagon. The radio face trim popped off easily, there were four torx screws, then one more to remove the center vent, in order to tuck the sat antenna in a nice little cavity behind the vent.

The hardest part was not being clumsy and dropping screws. I'm really bad at that. Seriously... *ugg*

scirocco*joe

TDI
2010 JSW
Better yet, with all of the talked about shortcomings even with the factory installed RNS, why not just look at an aftermarket stereo? For virtually the same price you'd have a bulletproof GPS, sat stereo, integrated bluetooth with full functionality (including MFSW) and even a rear view camera!
I have seriously considered this. Pioneer has some nice head units that have Sirius, Bluetooth and built-in Garmin navigation, which IMO is the best GPS interface.